CIBJO releases Gemmological Special Report: considers process of separating measurable facts from opinion; See Gemological Articles below.
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:01 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: newbie - but a lurker - interested in learning!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:22 pm 
Established Member

Hi all!

I work as a Nurse part time but I was recently offered another part time job in my favorite jewelry store (which I am pretty sure I will accept). I am fairly new but I've been a member of other boards and have learned a bit about gems and jewelry. I hope to expand my knowledge here, and perhaps one day a hobby will turn into a career!

I am hoping that I can learn lots here and apply it at this new job, the owner has been established for over 20 years (specializing in custom work) and started off selling gemstones wholesale, so he knows his stuff! Either way, I'll have lots of stones to study while I work. :)

Anywhoo, I just wanted to formally say, "Hi!", and let you all know where I am coming from!

Have a great day,
Blingergrrrl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:49 pm 
Gemology Online Übergoddess

:D hi blingergrrrl and welcome to the GO forum!!

and good luck on your new job prospect, sounds like an excellent opportunity for you to learn!!

:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:58 pm 
Valued Contributor

Hi and welcome. If you like the subject matter start studdying now. Your job will become more interesing and yourself more valuable to the company. Ask you new boss if he/she will pay part, or all, of your GIA training (corrospondence). Many employers will do this; as it insures an educated staff and better customer service.
Above all, do not let one job dictate the way you see the jewelry business. I hate to say it, but there is a lot of slime out there (not implying anything about your boss).
It's a terrific subject, it evolves as you will, keep studying. Regards, Richard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:18 pm 
Platinum Member

Glad you are here..J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:44 am 
Site Admin

hi Blingergrrrl and WELCOME the forum :D
you can find a lot of infos & knowledge here, feel free to share your contribute and no fear in asking, you will have ever an answer.
BENVENUTA 8)
ciao
alberto

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:14 pm 
Established Member

Thanks all! It's great to be here. I've also been reading though the gems 101 info, it's kinda neat to see what I already DO know, and how much I have to learn!

Mostly this job will be cataloging (data entry, photos, tagging), answering phones, etc. I will be meeting with them later this week to see if we can work something out around my current part time career. I really hope this works out...! I could stand taking pictures of gems and jewelry all day, and I like organizing systems (I know, sounds weird but I do!). I figure it would be great exposure to how the business runs from the other side of the counter, and to see many kinds of gems/jewelry designs up close. Plus I LOVE their custom work and the owner truly believes in putting a quality product out there, and is more interested in repeat customers with custom work than moving product from the displays (and his wife is a retired nurse!).

Well, wish me luck!

Have a great day,
Blingergrrrl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:40 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome!!! :D