July 11-12:BILLINGS, MONTANA: Annual show; Billings Gem and Mineral Club; Sat. 10-5, Sun. 10-4; Free admission!
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:28 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

I have been hoarding faceted and cab stones for several years. I am in love with the stones and am working on gemstone ID and setting stones into premade settings. My stones just don't look professional yet. I purchased a flex shaft but there is no instructions so I haven't used it yet. I know once I learn the proper way to use it, my prongs will look more professional. Any times on how to get started with the flex shaft. I have broken quite a few prongs on some decent semi mounts. I always hate that so I don't attempt the harder ones until I can get some training. A fellow rock hound told me about this site. This place is great! I'll share what little I know although I'm afraid I am not really close to what I want to be. Thanks for being here. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:20 pm 
Gold Member

hi DEBSRUS:

You can get a copy of the book "making the most from your flex shaft" at Amazon.com

Just click on the blue Amazon.com and it will take you right to the web page :)

*slapping side of head* oh almost forgot welcome to the forum ... kick back and enjoy and remember there are no stupid questions ... just ones you don't have the answers to yet

:wink:

hope this helps

wolf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:02 pm 
Gold Member

Welcome Debsrus, You will find this a very friendly place with a wealth of information. May I suggest that you look into finding a basic jewelery making class in your local area. As an alternative to that, there are any number of good books on the subject.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:21 pm 
Gemology Online Übergoddess

G'day Debsrus,

You'll need plenty of coffee and good padding under the butt.

There is sooo much info here and everyone is very helpful.

So enjoy and welcome. :P

Most of the fire on the wall has been put out :)

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:51 am 

Thank you Wolf. I will check into that book.

Thanks Allen, we are pretty much a desert here on any type of jewelry/gem information. The closest place that offers anything is Atlanta. I live 3 hours on a good trip. I am also caring for my mother with Alzheimer's, so right now most of my research has to be online or book. This job is 24/7. I got my son to stay with her last Saturday so I could have some me time. The first in 2 years.

Thank you and G'day mehoose. How are things down under?

You are all so friendly. Thanks for the warm welcome. I'll be back.

Deb :D

Post subject: Ordered the book
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:21 pm 

I have ordered that book. No sense in having a tool sit and not being used. I got a great deal on Amazon although I don't understand why people list used books for more than the new ones are selling. What is the point of buying a used book for more than a new one? Are there extras involved or are the people just greedy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:37 pm 
Site Admin

hi Debsrus and WELCOME to the forum :D
feel like at home here :D
CIAO
Alberto

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:32 pm 
Valued Contributor

Welcome, many years and years of experience with many expertises available to you here. For your stone setting, may I also suggest that you look at www.tripps.com; www.riogrande.com; and or www.firemountaingems.com for books on stone setting, jewelry making, lapidary; and the tools to do the work.

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:09 am 

If I was a male squirrel I don't think I'd be able to find my 'stash' next summer. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:52 am 
Platinum Member

Debsrus,
Setting gems isn't easily learned. Prong sets are fairly simple, at least from outward appearances, but there are many tricky variables: thick girdles, bellied pavilions, prong-pushing methods that can chip or break stones, etc.

I don't know the value of the stones or settings you plan to work with but seeing is often better than reading. I recommend this series of CDs (select the one(s) that apply):

http://www.contenti.com/products/videos/cd-roms.html

They are available from other suppliers; this one was simply the first that came up in my websearch.[/url]

www.artcutgems.com

Post subject: Thanks for all the points
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:18 am 

I have quite an extensive library. Most of my books were obtained from JTV when they had specials and I got most of them for a steal. I also use Tripps, Rio Grande and Fire Mountain Gems. They are wonderful resources. Rio Grande can't be beat in their inventory. And their catalogs are great as resources as well. So is Fire Mountain Gems. There is always useful information mixed in with the pretty things, so I get them all.

I have experience with setting stones, some good, others not so good. I broke a beautiful red andesine by applying too much force. I have broken the prongs off of settings that broke my heart. But I figure that is all part of the learning process. I have lots of settings that sit until I am sure that I can set the stones without breaking anything. There is also an excellent source online called Bench Television. When I first joined they were building the site. The lessons are given by a bench jeweler and are filmed as if you are looking over his shoulder. The filming is not professional, but the work is easily viewed and the content is professional. I hope to be able to sign up for a year, but they do have freebies on the site.

Thanks again to everyone. You have been so welcoming and warm. I hope we can get to know each other and I'll gladly share my mistakes with everyone so you won't have to learn the hard way like I seem to always do. This site is fantastic. A member told me about the site and he was right that there is a lot of knowledge and nice people here.

A lot of my settings and semi-mounts are not seated or notched, so I still have a lot to learn. I have a soldering iron that I have not used, a dremel with all the attachments and a lampworking kit. I guess things that use fire and power scare me. I have the safety glasses and masks, but I need to invest in some good gloves. Any suggestions?

Deb :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:42 am 
Site Admin

Hi Deb,
i have 22 years experience in goldsmitting and never used gloves :roll: , why you would use them? just a curiosity.
ciao
alberto

Post subject: I don't know
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:25 pm 

:?

The safety information with the tools recommend gloves. I wear the rubber gloves like doctors wear when I make polymer clay beads. Not for safety but to lessen the chance of fingerprints.

However, since I have no idea how to use a flex shaft and it is spinning and knowing my ratio of injury to not, I'd prefer to use some sort of hand protection. I am a hazard to myself. :lol:

I'd rather be safe than sorry. On that note my father, now deceased, was laying tile back years ago. He sliced off the top of his finger. I come from that genetic makeup. When I have a blade spinning near by fingers I think I need a little bit of leather on them, at the least! I also wear acrylic nails and I can tell you absolutely they will catch fire when near a flame. I now light candles with a grill lighter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:47 am 
Site Admin

hi,
i have bad news for you. IF you wants to challenging with goldsmitting & stonesetting prepare yourself to have your hands punched, scratched, sawed and burned a little bit. no gloves would protect you, on the contrary they will allow you to be more punched, scratched sawed and burned cos they don't allow you to "feel" the tool in your hand. i'm a fan of safety work, trust me, but sometimes it's pratically impossible to do. If you don't trust me, please ask to other Pros on this site how many of them wear safety gloves when they perform a precise work.
you said you don't know how to use your flexible shaft. HERE i see the danger! please, before you start to using it try to get the more infos you can!!!
ciao
alberto

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:17 am 

Oooo, gloves with a flex shaft :shock: :smt018 Unless of course you want to go for a spin with your piece?

I'm the same as Alberto, never wear gloves for jewellery. Can understand with lampworking tho. Not making jewellery. Really needs to be hands on.
Can attest to the cuts and bruises and burns, nails? What are they? :lol:
You also need to feel the heat, If you had a heat sensitive stone in and needed a repolish, you have to feel the heat being generated.
But there again I do like getting my hands dirty but gloves will do more harm than good here.

Now casting, that's where I have used gloves, goggles and apron.