CIBJO releases Gemmological Special Report: considers process of separating measurable facts from opinion; See Gemological Articles below.
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Am I the only one ?.....
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:07 pm 
Established Member

In between reading GO.com posts & articles, I have to go outside to herd horses back into their pasture. If you don't know already, I'm recovering from unexpected back surgery (2 discs, 2 fusions, rods, screws, etc, etc). So, it's MUCH easier to read GO.com posts than herd horses. Horses are smart; mine have a new place to get out foraging for newer veggies in the woods. My property adjoins the national forest in the North GA Mtns.

I lived in Atlanta most my life...until the last few years. This is a different universe, altogether. Are there other folks here who enjoy life's rural challenges but also enjoy gemology?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:23 pm 
Gemology Online Übergoddess

:lol: well, explorer, we don't have horses, wish we did though. i have to "herd" my husband and the varmits (2 cats, actually 3 cats-the orange tabby which has decided to stay with us, one fruity rat terrior, and the killer dachshund/? mix).

we live outside the city limits-love it out in the county/rural area of lagrange. we have the usual wildlife critters come to the house-deer, opossum, raccoon, turtle-had a yellow-bellied slider that really wanted to get in the pen with heidi, our dachshund mix, had to move the turtle about 5x/day from the pen, i believe the turtle is living under our shed. and we have a couple of other critters around here too, but, they don't usually come near the house. haven't seen any bears yet, but, one was not too far from here in downtown hogansville. haven't seen any chupacabras. :wink: i just threw that in!! lol!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:47 pm 
Gold Member

LOL! I live on the side of a mountain in the middle of nowhere, I can't see anything of my neighbors except their security lights at night, and my mailbox is ½ mile away. The nearest town is ½ hour away, and we go 'to the big city' to shop at the healthfood co-op an hour away once a month; but I only herd duckies though, Explorer; do I qualify? :mrgreen:

Quantum Mechanics...the dreams stuff is made of. :smt047

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:02 am 
Established Member

I sincerely 'Thank You' for your replies & honesty. Am I wet-behind-the-ears? Well, I'm working up some perspiration re: Gemology. GingerKid, I'm even further behind you :) .... then, I don't feel so bad.

AmGuy has been quite the firend & resource for me during recent months; altho he is much younger than I. To me, tho, he has a 'kindred old soul' deep within. Re: his acquisition of gemstone knowledge....I aspire to be like him. With me in my late 40's and AmGuy in his 30's, his perspectives are often refreshing for me. GREAT guy. Good spirit. I seriously need to absorb some of his spirit & passion.

I guess what you'd call our home is a 'mini-farm' nestled in the ridges leading up to the top of Fort Mountain. Below us is Mountaintown Valley, where there are horse/cow pastures & a variety of little farms. I should be grateful...around every curve is a new panoramic mountain view, with pastures old barns in the forground. Here, too, it's roughly a 30 min drive to either of the closest towns. All the animals here have jobs. The cat chases mice around the barn areas. The big outside dogs guard the property. I nuggle with my SEVERAL dachshunds. The chickens yield egs & eat bugs. And, the mini-horses are good for carrying things, working a garden, or being outstanding pets (altho I'd never brin one inside my home; I don't do well with horse-crap!).

Please don't hesitate to include me in your Gemology discussions, like, 'what do youo think about this stone?', a recent digging expedition, how you get your findings verified, etc, etc, etc. While I might not be able to contribute; you can bet I'm reading & learning from you :o

Perry aka Explorer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:35 pm 
Moderator: Lapidary Arts and Tools

Quote:
And, the mini-horses are good for carrying things, working a garden, or being outstanding pets (altho I'd never brin one inside my home; I don't do well with horse-crap!).

They do not work too hard around here.

I have a friend who raises them as pets. She brings them inside. It's funny when they try to climb into her lap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:16 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Hi

Oh Gearloose that so cool :o

I have always loved horses , my grandfather has 4 when i was growing up . They were normal size horses , gentle giants i called them , because they were so big to me as a child .

How cool to have as an indoor pet , but a miniture horse , i guess its like having a big dog :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:37 pm 

My niece's friend is Oscar. She weighs less than 100 pounds, He is something like 18 hands. He LOVES her to ride him..he's lazy. It's like a walk in the woods...alone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:10 am 

:) cute picture of the miniature horse (with red antlers and a bow for accessories), gearloose!! lol, cannot imagine bringing the mini's inside (are they house-broken?) and having one trying to crawl in your lap. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:24 am 

They do crawl into her lap when they are colts, but keep forgetting that they grow up-then it looks stupid when they are bigger.....
I did not ask her about the housebroken training, but doubt they are. Or can be. Maybe she only brings them in when they are empty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:39 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Have a friend with one that stays inside most of the time. She has boots for outside when it's raining. When it's raining, she will patiently wait at the back door in the mud room when she wants to go out even tho' she has a 'doggie door'. She waits to have them taken off too. She doesn't have run of the whole house, she's not allowed upstairs in the bedrooms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:31 pm 
Gold Member

Miniature horses are popular around here, and there's one place that sells them right down the road from us, and another not very far away. I'd be bringing them into the house in bad weather, but these poor babies are out there no matter what the weather. I wonder if they follow you into the bathroom to get petted like the other animals do?! :lol:

Quantum Mechanics...the dreams stuff is made of. :smt047

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:52 pm 

:lol: hi crystal star!!! funny that you mention pets going in the bathroom with you to be petted. every time rick goes in the bathroom, max, our cat follows him. then rick calls me to come get max. (if only the man would figure out that if he shut the bathroom door, he would not have to worry about max)

max likes to sit on the bathroom sink counter top and look in the mirror and 'talk' to your reflection. well, actually, he does this in all the mirrors throughout the house. strange fella.

we have some mini's, too, not far from here, but they are out in a pasture. they are so cute!!

imagine having a miniature t rex for a pet, lol...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:18 am 
Gold Member

There are miniature cows/cattle her in WA. Someone even has miniature Bramas!

You could have 20 acres with miniature cattle and it could look like a hundred! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:09 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Hi

So thats where all those petite steaks come from !!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:42 am 

:lol: dragonstek!!

8) i didn't know there's miniature brahman cattle, too!! i had to read up on these mini cows. 8)