January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:15 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: World of Gems Conference 2012
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:53 pm 
Gold Member

I participated in the two World of Gems Conferences and found them educational, interesting, and helpful to my business. Some of the information I heard confirmed what I knew to be true. But truly the value for me was what was new and gave me insights into how we could adjust or alter some of the ways we are selling gems. Many of the most intelligent minds in gemology or the gem field will be in Chicago presenting. If you are serious about the gem trade there will be something of value to you.

Look forward to chatting with you over coffee or drinks in Chicago!

Quote:
from Richard Drucker ~
The World of Gems Conferences offer a unique gemological experience filled with new information, great networking, knowledgeable speakers, and truly a great value. More than 175 attendees from 7 countries came to the 2010 event.

The third WOGC is coming October 13-14, 2012. The agenda and speaker planning continues but here are a few highlights of what is to be presented. John Emmett, PhD wowed the audience last time with his Beefsteak and Beryllium talk. He is back again with a discussion on the Passion of Padparadscha, sure to leave us in awe once again.

Shane McClure, GIA, is going to discuss treatment levels in a new presentation, never before given that will show us the behind the scenes way in which treatment levels are determined for various gems including rubies, sapphires, and emeralds.

Christopher Smith, president of AGL, is always willing to share his knowledge, this year focusing on new data regarding garnets and filling in the missing gemological information. This is all new research and garnets are a complex group, often hard to separate.

Another topic of great relevance today is nomenclature. Our industry is in a constant struggle between what name is accepted, how it gets accepted, and when it is just a marketing ploy that should not be allowed. Through extensive research on this topic, Dr. Cigdem Lule will reveal the truths and the fiction behind nomenclature.

And there is much more planned. Other topics include minerals (Dr. Mary Johnson), diamond grading standards, changes, and consistency (Gary Roskin), and of course pricing information that only Gemworld can provide.

If interested, can sign up here: http://www.worldofgemsconference.com

http://www.rogerdery.com

Post subject: Re: World of Gems Conference 2012
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:05 pm 
Valued Contributor

One of these years I will have to make this event, but alas my wife and I used up our Chicago trip a few weeks ago. :-)

One thing that anyone attending the conference should consider is the Chicago Field Museum. They have a gem exhibit that is quite wonderful. There is also a companion book that has some really nice photos and descriptions of the gem collection. If nothing else it is a good excuse to go hang out on Navy Pier.

Can't wait for the conference report Roger!