January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Alberto Scarani and his family are safe and well in Rome
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:10 pm 
Site Admin

I wanted to update you with the current status of Alberto who lives in Rome and is sheltering in place with his family.
He has some excellent advice to share with us.

Alberto wrote:
Here the situation is critical, thank God I live in Rome and our region is relatively out of the epicenter but in the north the numbers are terrible.
We are all well and locked inside since 10 days now, the original end of the lockdown was set up for the 25th but at this point it will be extended for sure of 2 weeks more, we are all holding our breath for seeing the numbers going down but everyday at 6 pm, when the daily press conference is held by the government, we see the numbers raising. Yesterday we had more than 4600 positives and 680 deaths, and this is 24 hours only…...

Quarantine is the only thing that will work but the effects will be seen only after a couple of weeks of setting it up due to incubation period of the virus.
What can I say, VERY happy California stepped up for that, I would like to see all the USA doing it.

Few advices, which you can read almost everywhere nowadays. Stay at home the more you can, keep the distance from anyone else, wash your hands frequently.

I would like to add few bits. Try to organize your day, essentially don’t let you go……try to stay healthy more than usual, it’s a regular rule but in this situation is even more important. Lets establish for a in home routine and try to follow it consistently. Try to keep your food habit the more you can, being forced at home limit our calories burning AND having food at hand is a temptation difficult to resist.

You are behind us of 3 weeks now, more or less, make no mistake, you will have exactly the same situation about the spread of this virus over there, so, please try to follow the advices from who have been there before you. It’s a valuable opportunity we did not have, China was not a super reliable source of information and their social structure too much different from the “standard” western world one…….but now you have basically all Europe, especially Italy and Spain to look at…..

Post subject: Re: Alberto Scarani and his family are safe and well in Rome
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:05 pm 
Gemology Online Übergoddess

Thanks Barbra.
Very relieved to hear Alberto is safe with his family and may it remain that way.

I know many of us are relatively quiet on GO these days but we do pop in to see how everyone is going from time to time.
May everyone heed Alberto's and their governing bodies advice. For now we have phones, internet to keep in touch and or do business from. I could go on but I won't....

Well, this is hoose checking in for the week ... who has everything crossed I'll be able to see and hug the kids sooner rather than later...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:48 am 
Site Admin

Hi Barbra and Everybody..

we can realize how prophetic my words were by that time.......our situation is definitely now under control, with less than 120 new cases and 20 deaths per day we can say the worst seems passed...but we are not lowering the guard....i am so sorry to see the situation in the USA seems to not be fixed yet, unfortunately it seems optimism spread too early at the first signs of infecion decrease and MANY over there thought it was time to release the precautions even if the scientists warned the gov and the rest of the country it was far to be the time yet. too bad they have not been listened, the latest resurgence of the pandemic seems to have wasted all the sacrifice done in the first 2 months of the pandemic, lockdown and huge economic loss included. The European community is planning to reopen the external borders by 1st of July but it will not be effective for all the other non-EU countries. there are already voices several of them will not be included, besides Russia and all the country in Latin America, the USA are one of those......what can i say, regardless what your fed and local gov say, think for yourself and follow the basic rules we all know now, social distancing, washing hands frequently and WEAR THE DAMN MASKS!!!!! i am totally befuddled by the attitude i am seeing from people over there....omg..... im totally speechless.......
i wish all the best for you all

Alberto

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:58 pm 
Site Admin

I'm happy to report our family is healthy and we are following all the suggestions provided by the scientific professionals who actually know what they are talking about.
I filled up my car with gas in February and I'm still running on the same tank.

Lots of mean spirited misinformation floating about. Who knows?