A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Richard Wise's, Jade Heart 3rd Installment
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:59 am 
Site Admin

Click here to go to the 3rd Installment:
http://www.gemologyonline.com/jade-heart3.html

Last edited by Barbra Voltaire, FGG on Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:38 pm 
Valued Contributor

"Chu squatted, unwrapped his bundle, spread out the cloth, placed the boulder in the center of it, rocked back on his haunches and waited"...

and so did martin - eagerly for the fourth installment - great work again Richard.

Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:55 pm 
Gold Member

Martin wrote:
"Chu squatted, unwrapped his bundle, spread out the cloth, placed the boulder in the center of it, rocked back on his haunches and waited"...

and so did martin - eagerly for the fourth installment - great work again Richard.

ditto

...I am already voting for a sequel, or series?

John M. Huff
CenSat Enterprises

Post subject: hunger
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:17 am 

I now know what it is to be the brunt of the old joke "What's the definition of suppense?" Answer "I'll tell you next week.

Richard, I have never wanted to read the end of something as much as this.

I can't wait for the 4th installment!

Thank you so much for writing this. I have been reading each installment to my Mother who is handicapped and cannot hold the pages to read them. She loves it as much as I and also feels as if she were there watching Chu.

Wildflower

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:05 am 

Yes, if you need someone to proofread the whole thing now, feel free to send the whole lot :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:24 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

All,

Well next week you will find out how it ends. Interesting watching the numbers. About half as many who read the first installment looked at the 2nd. Will be interested to see the total numbers on #3 and #4.

Seemed like an interesting idea to do a serial, sort of like the movie serials that used to show at the neighborhood theatre in Riverside, Rhode Island when I was a kid. Dating myself here. They had Batman, The Green Lantern, etc. Babra liked the idea, so here it is, enjoy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:28 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Wildflower,

Thank you for your comments, very kind. My mother in law, Ma T., just turned 90. She suffers from Macular Degeneration and canno't read but is otherwise in excellent shape. We just threw a 90th birthday bash for her.

I made a tape of another story for her. She is thankful for spoken word tapes that she gets from an organization for the handicapped in her native Virgina.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your mom.

Post subject: Mom
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:29 pm 

Thank you Richard. My Mom has parkinson's and cripling arthritis. her eyesight is ok but her hands are in such bad shape that she can no longer hold anything to read.

She taught me to love reading and I still read as much as I can.

My grandfather had macular degeneration so I know how debilitating it can be. One of my residents at the retirement community where I work also has it so I am familiar with the desease.

Tell Ma T Happy Birthday for me and you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

And please write some more for us. Your stories are wonderful and I love the little tid bits of information that you put in them ( like the difference between jadeite and naferite jade.)

Wildflower

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:09 pm 
Platinum Member

Thank you very much for letting me know of this forum and the lovely story :)

I'll surely be around reading the rest. It brings enough intriguing thoughts mid-way as is:

#1. quite a bit of envy for the related experience with these places and people. Books are great, travel way better! Oh well...

#2. there isn't too much documented folklore about traditional 'gemology' practices. I found a couple in Arabic tales and one is about the identification of jade by touch. It reads much like the intro of your story: same problem, same solution - many generations and worlds apart!

#3. Is there some real-life tradition limiting the marking of jade pieces before sale? That would make a nice story for my colleagues to sink their teeth into ;)

PS: This is my first post here. If anyone has passed by Pricescope.com, you might remember 'Valeria101'. That's me, hence the new avatar name as a follow up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:49 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Ana,
Glad you stopped by. Stick around I think you will like the forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:58 pm 
Valued Contributor

Hello Ana,

Nice to see you here also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:38 am 

Richard, there are probably more hits on the early ones simply because we have been going back to make and read comments on the thread. It may not have a great deal to do with how many people are actually reading the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:25 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

True enough nuck, I'm just pleased to have had a chance to dust off this story and put it out so that people get a chance to read and hopefully enjoy it. Never quite knew what prompted me to write it.

Found myself facinated with the idea that the Chinese would buy and sell rough jade based upon tiny slices of the stone. Saw one once at the Kowloon jade Market that looked like a French bagette, totally sliced. Seemed like it said a lot about the people who bought and sold it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:57 am 

Speaking for myself, I find the glimpse inside of how it is (I'm assuming) traditionally done totally fascinating, as well as the whole cultural aspect of it. I've yet to go to the Far East, but in the places that I have lived, trying to understand and adjust to the local mindset is one of the joys (and frustrations) of living abroad. Some are so completely alien to how we think in the West. It would be interesting to hear about what you have observed regarding the culture / mindset of that part of the world. Maybe that's in your book though. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:43 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

That story is completely made up. The stories in my book are true. They are also not stories, rather narratives to give the reader the feel of what it is like to go to a foreign country along with a description of mining activities to geve the reader the sense of the process.

Gems come from somewhere both geographically and geologically. There are a series of steps between the ground and you and each step is interesting in itself. Some depend upon art, others on artifice. All depend upon hard work.

The profession of gem merchant is very old. I suppose both those of both priest and prostitute are older. I don't mine or cut, but I have cut gems and I've been down a lot of holes. It is important that he be grounded literally and figuretively.. Collectors too, should know a bit about the process.