January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:30 am 
Valued Contributor

I am stunned to learn of this. My sympathies to those that knew him. It is hard to grasp that the bedrock is not there and find your self temporarily adrift. I have not been on the board long enough to have really known him, but he was obviously one to make you think, and to tell you what he thought, as well as what he knew.

I congratulate and envy those of you who had a chance to know him.

― John E. Southard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:59 am 

My condolences extended to the family as well. On several occasions I tried to see if we "could meet up" and in fact he was quite open to that. I guess there's always something that comes in between, so I never really thought he wouldn't want to meet.

It's a pity, and always sad when people do not see another exit anymore. Let's hope there's another world, or a new life and we can start again...

Warmest regards to the family,

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:11 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

I also want to express my sorrow for the death of Alain van Acker, a person who has given so much to gemology.

Hello Alain

Gennaro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:14 am 
Gold Member

I received Barbara's message about Doos while on vacation in Mexico. While shocked, I chose not to reply at that time.
Only now, have I brought myself to read all of the eulogies written here about him. How truly loved he was.
I have always hated suicide. It seems so selfish and arrogant, yet, I do understand that sometimes it is the only logical answer.
I never personally met Doos (which is how I knew him) nor have I personally met anyone else here on this forum. I do know that I looked forward to reading his comments and always found his irreverence refreshingly familiar and thought him a kindred spirit. It was also instantly clear to me how much real knowledge he held on the subject of gemstones and gemology.
May each of us take our turn calling BS, on something that is clearly such, in his stead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:29 pm 
Valued Contributor

Alain,
I nursed my younger brother in hospice. He had terminal cancer. I closed my practice and stayed with him for months. A cot was in his room, I know as a Christian that my faith does not approve of suicide. But, when you must deal with the shortness of life and realize that a life has the right to leave it with dignity, then some rules are not realistic.
I have reflected on your exit from the forum as part of my devotions. I would like to suggest that somehow we could set up a scholarship for people intersted in Gemology studies in Alain Doos name?
Alain your ideas did not die, your humor did not die, nor did your devotion to gemology die. Banter, arguements, and intellectual electricity expanded us and your contrary opinions served as a fuse for further researches and explorations. We all learned from both sides of disputed ideas. It is the fray, the excitement, and the willingness to take a chance that we appreciate. No, arguements about this gemological subject or that was no reason for you to leave. I think that we all know when our mental abilities could no longer be sustained. We all will know that time. It is a very personal decision. The exhaustion of fighting pain, sickness, and a change in bodily functions, can weaken the strongest of characters. Alain,
your ideas, contributions, and wit stay with us. Your cancer is dead. That is how it should happen. That mindless monster killed its host and itself.
We grieve, because Alain is no longer with us, but has left people who loved and respected Alain to go to a force of life which loves all life beyond our limited human understanding.
We all will take Alain's path some day. Some through age, others from accidents, and still others from events beyond control. How we live our lives is what is important. We will all be dead much longer than when we were alive.
Alain touched my life and I am richer for this touch. I will miss Alain, I did not know him, but I can understand and honor Alain's decision to leave the living with diginity on his own terms.
winstone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:06 pm 

A tear and a smile... while shopping around for candles this one caused the smile... cheers Alain, bottoms up.

It's been a year now mate, a whole year already... how time can fly... This place changed forever... heck, my whole life changed forever...

I miss you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:00 pm 
Site Admin

a year has passed, can't believe i still miss you so much....
ciao Alain....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:45 pm 

No words... just a void where Alain should be. Miss him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:22 pm 
Site Admin

I often feel he's still with us.
His legacy lives on.
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:46 pm 

Barbra Voltaire wrote:
His legacy lives on.

Yeah, at times I hear him in class telling me: "If you'd attended more chats, you'd already KNOW this stuff!" :wink:

Can't help but regret that he's not around in person to tell me that though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:50 pm 
Site Admin

ditto

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:06 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

How this day will never be the same for me , no matter how many years go bye :cry: , It's been 1 year but the pain is not gone , i think of you often and on the this day i dedicate the piece that Squeaky made ' Angel in my pocket " to you Alain :smt055 . It is hung on wall in my office right next to your picture , for you are my angel !
Alain you never realized how many people cared but with the messages written here you shall never be forgotten .

Love you Alain

Each time we pass on the knowledge that he shared we are remembering him and keeping him alive in thoughts and prayers :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:29 am 
Valued Contributor

I never met you but i shall mourn in your honor, for i shall pour big time for you and the ones i lost, every day, for some it may sound different but this is how we remember people in my city, every time we open a bottle of wine, beer, alcohol, we poor some on the floor for the ones we lost and then we mourn, ( never meant any disrespect by the way), may you R.I.P

My regards big time!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:19 am 
Site Admin

Barbra Voltaire wrote:
His legacy lives on.

yeah, despite a whole year had passed, still nowadays when i'm writing a post i find myself a little worried for a while about what Alain will eventually reply....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:32 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Barbra Voltaire wrote:
His legacy lives on.

I can guarantee Alain's still with us - he beats on my head when I don't do what I know (and HE knows I know) SHOULD be done with anything surrounding gemology. I swear he giggles about it too.....:smt075 :lol: :smt051

He's made me a much better Gemologist..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next