January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: 6 moths has passed and...............
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:35 am 

*****************I'm officially a gemologist*************************

Today I had my last exam on Diamond theory and that was the end of the course. Tomorrow I will get my diploma and then pack up and head on home.

I just want to share with you my thoughts on the school and the course.

The course was 6 moths total.
3 Months gem identification
1 month Coloured Stone Treatments and Synthetic
1 Month coloured stone grading
1 Month Diamond

The gem ID course was a perfect way to setup the whole diploma. Every piece of "basic" knowledge I needed in the next 3 courses was provided to me in the 3 months of Gem ID. My teacher, Mr Surachart, just kept drilling into me things I need to know. RI of gems I should know by heart, little tips to look for (bullseye optic figure for quartz) and feeling the weight of gemstones in the hand (HEFT). I spent 3 months learning theory of all of the common gems in the market, and then spent the afternoons analysing no less than 1000 different coloured stones. The coloured gem collection at school is truly amazing. It is one of the best reasons to attend gem ID at AIGS.

Next were Coloured stone treatments and synthetics. This was taught by Mr Jayesh. What this man doesn’t know about Rubies is not worth knowing. I had so much fun in this class. We had about 200 Rubies / Sapphires to sort through to try and detect different treatments. Again, the collection is impressive. Large 2 – 3 ct unheated Rubies are easy to find in the collection, so it is easy to have 10 unheated Rubies right next to 10 heated Rubies and study the difference. Throw those in with the Spinels and Emeralds and you have all you need to study how gems change under treatment.
Then there was coloured stone grading and pricing. I think this is one of the most important subjects. This was taught by Mr Pattarat who I swear can see more colours than the average person. He would teach us about looking at different parts of the gem to figure out where the colour comes from, what the cut is like and weather the gem could possibly be recut into a more brilliant gem. Add to that the trip to Chanthaburi to the gem markets and visiting a few ex students that are now I the trade and the whole gemstone experience is starting to come together.
Lastly, Diamonds. Not my favourite stone (so glad it only went for 1 month) but it is important. This was taught my Ms Sirinee and she runs a Diamond shop in Chinatown. She was very enthusiastic about Diamonds and it made the course a lot of fun. We would study theory, then look at Diamonds for a few hours and calculate (yes that’s right, calculate and measure) the cut quality of real Diamonds. Every Diamond was over 0.35 cts with the largest one being 1.5 cts. Again, the Diamond collection is just incredible.

So sounds pretty good so far right? Well how about a field trip to Sri Lanka that is included in the program. Yep, 3 days visiting gem mines, cutting factories and heating facilities. Of course there is also time to visit the gem markets as well and buy some gems. I think this was one of the best experiences of my life. How many gem dealers can say they have experienced such a thing?

Overall, the course was awesome. The teachers are enthusiastic, knowledgeable and they are in the business. I think this is important, because most students want to know about what is happening in the real world, how much things are costing, what is getting trendy. Or course the teachers don’t teach that, but when you talk to them, the information just flows out. If anyone wants to kow more, I am happy to chat

Cheers
Ross

Post subject: Re: 6 moths has passed and...............
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:18 am 
Gemology Online Royal Princess

I. AM. SO. ENVIOUS! :smt087

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:44 pm 

Sounds great, mate!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:46 pm 
Site Admin

Excellent! Thanks for posting details. That will be extremely helpful to those considering AIGS.
and
Congrats! :smt041 :smt042 :smt109

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:37 pm 
Valued Contributor

Thanks Ross and congratulations. =D> =D>
I really liked the way you laid out the program.
Very simple and explains to the average (me) person what the course was like.

Harold

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:26 am 
Established Member

Congratulations!! Sounds like you had a wonderfull time there. I am starting my A.G. program tomorrow, very very excited about it. The only thing i am worried about is having to maybe leave Thailand after the 6 months....this is such a great place! Oh and hi Tim, if u are in Thailand in between 3 oct 2012 and 29 march 2013, let me know! I still have those rough spess you gave me that are just sitting here...maybe you can take half of those back for Bea to do something with? :D May your roads be covered in gems!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:39 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Congratulations TreasureGems :D :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:20 am 

Quote:
I am starting my A.G. program tomorrow, very very excited about it. The only thing i am worried about is having to maybe leave Thailand after the 6 months....this is such a great place!

Hi Lex,

Good on you, mate! Awesome!

Drop those spessies off at Silom Soi 17 - Lambert's. They'll cut 'm for you...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:12 am 
Established Member

Lovely, hopping by there soonish then! Thankee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:35 am 

hey this is keemoog99 nina, wasn't i in that class with you? i thought it was a great course too.
the best was the collection of top stones in colored grading and pricing. hope we will see each other someday again.