January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

How did you score?
0-2 38%  38%  [ 37 ]
3-4 13%  13%  [ 13 ]
5-7 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
8-9 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
10-14 10%  10%  [ 10 ]
15-19 10%  10%  [ 10 ]
20-24 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
25-50 8%  8%  [ 8 ]
over 50 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 97
 Post subject: Re: How Well Do You See Color?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:26 am 
Site Admin

Monitors and their accurracy is for sure part of the equation. When scoring 4 using my laptop I score zero when using my 22" monitor at work. But of course the monitor is not the primary cause of your ability to see color differences.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:01 pm 

I'm a 20 year old guy with wicked awful eyes - my prescription is in the -8 range with astigmatism higher than my ophthalmologist has ever seen. I got a 16, with small pieces of mixup in the green and far right. :cry:

Don't forget, women have 4 sets of genes coding for color vision. Men have 3. There's red, yellow, and blue, so if a woman has a slight difference between two copies of the same color, they have extremely enhanced color vision. If the difference is big enough, like having red, yellow, blue, and (violet, green, orange...), then it's a beneficial condition called tetrachromacy, basically a modern "superpower," along the lines of synesthesia or myostatin deficiency.

(So guys, if your girlfriend/wife is complaining about the color of something in the house, she's probably right. Doesn't mean you should give in, though! :mrgreen: )

Don't forget that the best way to take this test would be in bright daylight with a physical test, not on the computer :)

Last edited by Faceting 101 by Arya on Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 6:07 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Did it again on my PC with only overhead spot halogen room lighting on an Acer 1717 (old) LCD. I waited a few weeks so my brain would forget what I'd done previously and hopefully not influence the result too much from practice.

I scored 5 without spending a huge amount of time but I was pretty sure I had it nailed. Again, the offending colour range is in the blue-greens.

So with this result I think it's clear that my Acer monitor is probably not displaying colour correctly, at least in the blue-green range. The initial time I did it probably was also affected by me using an incandescent desk lamp beside the computer in addition to the overhead lighting. And my iMac probably is much better at colour reproduction :)

-Allan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:53 am 
Established Member

I was able to score 0 :-) Hmn, I wonder if the number of squares on this test is a lot more than those color-vision tests that some organizations (appraisal etc) require you to take.. Seems like a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:45 am 
Valued Contributor

With the family history of color blindness.....I managed to score 19 hahaha....should be happy... :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:03 pm 

:-({|= perfect.....I'm a 40 years old man.That was fun!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:23 am 
Valued Contributor

OK, I knew this was going to be a disaster going in. I have known I am color deficient (color blind) since I was in the army many years ago. As I was doing the test I thought it was pretty easy and that I might score half decently. Oh well. This is why I gave up appraising over 20 years ago after a VERY brief stint. Interestingly, I asked GIA in the '80's about being color blind. At the time they told me it was not a problem. Not long after I got my GG it became a "huge problem."

My score: 109

http://www.gemologytools.com (if you use a Windows machine)
http://www.gemologytoolsonline.com (if you use a Mac or iPad)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:43 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

39, hahaha. Does that make me legally colorblind, or just sloppy?

Patuxent Lapidary Guild

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:06 am 
Valued Contributor

got 6.
Few mistakes in the green...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:30 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

0, perfect color vision. I'm actually really surprised by this.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:43 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

managed a 4 but im also having a tough time seeing the phone text anymore. Typically blues are tough but its usually a function of lighting. The better the light the better our perception of color, tint, hue, shade.
The question is if there is no light is there any color? If you change the light spectrum to a different wavelength as in Black light or infrared, is yellow still yellow or has your perception of that now changed.
So beauty really is in the eye of the beholder because we all interpret what we see differently. ;-)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:13 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Got a 3.... The greens made me so blue, cause I ain't got no zero score~

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:15 pm 

Holy cow! That's the hardest test I've taken in a while.

I'm one for using my brain, but.........whew.

One for the men

Yes, it makes complete sense.

Right on the teal, aquaish

Why does this make sense?

It's my favorite color.

Teal, or aqua. I get them confused, and I think my favorite color is more like a aqua, but I kinda use em intermittently and in the wrong place of each other.

But any color in between teal and aqua more on the greenish side will do aside to lime/lizard green.
All I know is I am looking at my water bottle made of metal with a enamel/paint from caribou coffee. Its like a aqua.

That is true, beauty is all in the eye of the beholder.

As with animals and all different kinds of species on earth and possibly off of earth, we are all a different breed, with varying photoreceptors.

I had the hardest time with anything orangeish to reddish. Also happens to be of some my least favorite colors. Depending on what its next to of course.

The best thing about glassworking. First off, you have to battle for your colors (many physics factors from time worked, temperatures, amount of times it has cooled, gas ratios, specific glass color formulas, lighting, etc......the list goes on and on).
With all your eye protection, your work environment is dark.
So when you are working, the colors are not as they appear. Even if you take off your eye protection, it will not be as it is until it has completely cooled, crystals grow, etc......)
Then you have a cooled piece on a shady day. (still looks good)
Then you bring your piece into incandescent, fluorescent lighting on a shady day or even just a regular sunlight day. (looks good, looks better with more lighting)
Then your fine with the colors you got in pretty much any lighting.
Then that sunniest, best day in a long time comes and it hits the sunlight........
Every detail is magnified, every color is magnified, every transition just brightens, the colors light up.
That is the best feeling. Even if you think the colors look like crap, %40 of the time, I instantly think my colors are crap.
You hit that sunny day, and everything looks beautiful and see the purpose of keeping work you thought was mediocre colors.
Then I realize that this just my photoreceptors, and everyone has different eyes. A reason to make things in my least favorite colors for others, and keep everything just in case.
Now, my knowledge of manipulating colors, optics, and beginning faceting is in its infancy. My knowledge of gemology is in its infancy.
The better I get, the more pleasure it is to work. The better starting material, the more I control my processes, the better the design, the more appreciate the ability to see and live. Thanks light, brain, electromagnetism, mathamatics, and evolution.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:31 pm 
Established Member

Ouch! 24.. #-o Done very hasty and only once..
Then again, I have a slight color vision deficiency(great for a gemology student,
and aspiring faceter?) so maybe it was not that bad anyway :roll:

- Geir Atle

-Douglas Adams

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:26 pm 

Got a perfect score. Huzzah. Take that, Y chromosome tendencies! Was not easy for me, though...

Interesting note: Research shows that color perception can be enhanced by giving the brain more information to make distinctions amongst colors, such as wearing a tinted filter over one eye. Simply working with color discrimination a lot (professionally, for example) also improves color perception - like a weight-lifting workout for your color cones. So it makes sense many denizens of these boards would be well trained. I bet the scores here average significantly higher than in the general populace.

For a digital test, the quality of a monitor's color levels can make a difference, I would think. Monitors all have different intrinsic response curves for brightness and hue and whatnot, and the gamma correction function applied determines how different a given set of tones look, calibrating brightness. I think this test accounts for that by making all test elements the same luminance values. Or maybe they're all the same saturation, so luminance would depend on the hue, and gamma does matter..? Hmmm...I dunno. But if a monitor is mis-configured to have its red level maxed out, I imagine the test would not be easily passable. Also, monitors can have different color ranges they are capable of outputting. I don't know whether that impacts a test within a limited luminance range, but the color curves have to play a role. I'm the furthest thing from an expert, though, and would be curious to hear from someone who is on the matter. ...That is, of course, if any happens to read a long-dormant thread.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next