August 24:—SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS: Retail show; Southwest Gem and Mineral Society of San Antonio; Sat. 10-5
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:36 pm 
Gold Member

hi brims

that just about sums it up. We can be thankful we have those you named and others without them it would be a pretty frustrating thing.

I know I and others painted a pretty dark picture, that is pure and utter frustration with what you call the cynics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:11 pm 
Platinum Member

Quote:
If I said, a Gemologist is a person trained to identify and evaluate a fashioned/cut mineral,

Quote:
Are you implying Appraiser = Gemologist ?

Just to clarify evaluate.
I meant examine the physical condition, cut , clarity, color, proportions etc. in a qualitative manner. Not assign a value. That's a different trade.

A moot point now, I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:43 pm 
Valued Contributor

Gemmology is a fairly new science, that is why the great pioneers didnt have the "fancy" titles connected to gemmology like the GG and FGA, but most of them sure was great scientist within their fields.

I piece of paper is not everything, but atleast that is saying that you have passed some sort of tests to verify that a certain level of knowledge has been achieved. But that is only a start of a wonderful journey into the field of gemmology (there are many paths to choose from within this exiting field). So of course we have several levels of gemmologists from beginners to experts. Most of them seem to be interested in certain fields within the field of gemmology making new discoveries enhancing the science of gemmology... just pick a favourite subject and put all your effort into it... you may become an expert eventually - atleast you will have a good time if not...

You should be humble and admit that you do not know everything, and you need to put some effort to stay in touch "with reality" by looking at stones as much as you can (if you are not in the business) and be updated about the new things going on like new treatments...

If you apply for a job (as a gemmologist) I assume that if you have a diploma like GG I believe that is not a disadvantage...

I for sure would like to have a doctor that has passed the difficult exams if he/she would be cutting me open... not an autodidact... scary thought!
:D