January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:50 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Sharing my Tourmaline Collection.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:30 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

I have gone many miles to share my collection with an appreciative audience. A little over a month ago I returned from a West Coast visit to the GIA laboratory in California. I had the pleasure of seeing and receiving some high quality pictures of tourmalines, I had left with them for a couple of weeks, two summers ago. The pictures should appear in their publications and it would be great if anyone sees one to give me a heads up. I hope to get the pictures on a disk and post them on my site BruceFryTourmaline.com.

I was able to share the collection with some new friends and old hands that really help make the 7000 mile trip a success. Still it all paled when my son visited and we shared my latest tray of tourmaline. Both my finances and the tourmaline world have changed enough that the days of cutting big exciting tourmaline is about past for me. I am still looking for material to cut tourmaline of every color that is out there and to that end I spend a lot of time on small rounds and included material. It still can be very rewarding, as when my son's eyes focused on an intense vivid orange tourmaline from Mozambique (I think). He has always been a lover of rich sapphire indicolite, but when his eyes latched on to the orange I knew that he had grown up. (He is almost 30 years old.) It is a recent addition to the collection and it is just big enough to say orange, like I have never seen before in tourmaline.

In the light from an old fashion incandescent light bulb we continued to walk threw the trays. And bright flashing colors in their vivid splendor kept drawing him in. Splendor that went beyond being the biggest or cleanest gemstone, to the heart of my quest in cutting and collecting gemstones, color. He asked me to keep the orange for him and I told him that it would be with me as long as it can be. He also like one of the most valuable cuprian tourmalines in my collection without realizing its value, another point in his favor. Such satisfaction for me without even traveling a mile.

So the path between exception tourmaline may be long and winding, but I have the inspiration to keep trying to bring beauty into the world. With Jeff Smith, photographer and Allen Aoyama computer guru, my site BruceFryTourmaline is set up to share beauty. We are hoping to do better and if there are some constructive ideas out there about the site, I would love to hear them.

Bruce