January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Royal blue tourmaline
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:15 am 
Valued Contributor

How rare is a sapphire blue or royal blue tourmaline? I came across one in the market and looks big n blue. 27 carats. Quite.expensive so i was wondering if you had thoughts on it or if any treatments to make such a color anyone aware of. Thx.

Attachments:
Screenshot_20190103-131015_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190103-131015_Gallery.jpg [ 606.26 KiB | Viewed 2929 times ]
 Post subject: Re: Royal blue tourmaline
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:43 am 
Gold Member

I have seen tourmaline this color stones from Namibia rarely. I have never bought or sold one. I am sure it would be expensive though. Does the stone have a major lab report?

Last edited by 1bwana1 on Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:05 pm 
Valued Contributor

arms wrote:
How rare is a sapphire blue or royal blue tourmaline? I came across one in the market and looks big n blue. 27 carats. Quite.expensive so i was wondering if you had thoughts on it or if any treatments to make such a color anyone aware of. Thx.

Very rare. Most of the time, blue tourmalines are included and/or too dark in tone. Large & clean stones with a bright open blue color without green secondary (or minimal) command high prices.

Some blue tourmalines are heated to lighten up the color. Be also careful of fracture filling with oil or resins.

But 1st things first: make sure it's actually a tourmaline and not something else.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:13 pm 
Valued Contributor

Right. Id need a gia cert if i did buy it but the asking price is 300 per carat. Negotiable of course. Ill pass tho i think cuz i dont know enough about it but seems like it would be a nice addition to the collection.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:56 pm 
Gold Member

If the image shows true color, the stone is clean, not clarity enhanced, and it is 27 carats, the $300/ct is a very good price to buy it and you should not pass on that opportunity.

But by looking at it, I would really want to test it, and get a report prior to purchase.

Where are you located.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:09 pm 
Valued Contributor

I am in bangkok at jtc. Its not 100% clean. Few inclusions. I will get a better look at it tomorrow. One dealer is selling it here. Lots of labs around to check it as well. I do love rhe color of it. Havent seen one like it. Anyways. Ill get a better look and ask a few more questions tomorrow. Thx for info.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:05 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

A few personal thoughts and observations.

1, High quality blue tourmaline of any size with a good tone value, not too dark or pale is expansive.

2, Namibian material is generally heated even in the rough state. I don't take heating or not into price.

3, Namibian mater can develop cracks while being cut that might weaken the stone. Have problems being set.

4, Blue tourmaline can have the full range of tone values, but most of the ones with the color I would die for, are too dark.

5, I agree with having it tested at a gemological laboratory, but they will not be able to tell you if the stone is fragile. I would closely examine the stone with a loop and look for signs of chipping and if the flaws appear to compromise the stone..

6, My final point is personal. I would be shocked to get a fine medium toned blue tourmaline of any decent size for $300 dollars a carat as long as the flaws are moderate. The rough is practically unavailable and what is out there sells out quickly, even at the high prices it demands.
This was not always the case in the past, but I don't think any dealer in Thailand is going to give you "old" prices.
Bruce

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:23 pm 
Valued Contributor

I see a lot of indicolite from afganistan here, but they are a paler blue. I havent seen blue blue. This stone is a bit dark with a window also, it doesnt pop like a pairaba at all and the center doesnt have much color
So i know its not an amazing looking stone, a bit dull but it is blue, slightly included also, what gets me is the royal blue color. Ive seen many indicolites but this is not the same. So i like it. The thing is that there isnt much to compare it to so i dont know the going rate on afghanistan blue tourmaline. If it was from brazil the price would be through the roof. But its not. Hence the lower price i believe. So im thinking about it but still dont know enough about it. Ill check it out again monday. What do i look for to ensure its stable if it is included?