January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Man cuts incredibly rare tourmaline, experts claim.
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 5:23 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Northeby's announced at a quickly called news conference that the just named Blue Moon tourmaline will be on the cover of their catalog for the up coming spring Hong Cong auction and conspicuous consumption show. No reserve has yet been set on the Blue Moon, but because of its rarity, experts claim that 100 million diamond would be cut for every Blue Moon tourmaline, it should rank in the top tear of gemstone ever to go under the hammer. Semi precious Paraiba tourmaline, a recent upstart in the family of tourmaline, will have to give center stage to the Blue Moon because it is so common. We appreciate the pent up demand for more information on our highly promoted products, but no more information is available at this time Next Tuesday, at all our world wide locations, we will have the catalog, in full color, ready for distribution. We are confident that all of you are now predisposed to want to help build the excitement which the Blue Moon and our other offerings, deserve. At our flagship store, in the Big Apple, we will have on display, the cutter of the Blue Moon, it will be a unique moment in the history of our founder's family rise to power. He is preserved in WD40 and is quite a smooth talker. In closing, I would like to thank everyone who took time off from lusting at incredibly over hyped, gigantic, colored diamonds for coming. The day of tourmaline is upon you.

Bruce

This story is a result of watching too many youtube videos while convalescing from a badly sprained foot. I have tried to do some cutting and there really is a so called Blue Moon tourmaline. A friend gave me the water worn rough, which was less than a gram and noted that it might be a color changer. It turned out to be a partial section from of a watermelon style bi-color with a significant iron stained flaw. I hate iron stained flaws and so the resultant preform was set to cut about a 3mm round. Negative thoughts were flowing, but after I transferred the stone and ground the crown, I could still see that half the round was dark blue and half was colorless face up. Frankly the deep tone value of the blue half was a surprise, when I could see no color from any angle perpendicular to the girdle. Now that is dichroism and if the gem was "big enough" the blue side would have a dark tone that would make it what I call a personal stone. That is a stone that does not shout out from the tray/box, but if you give it a good light and personal attention it helps to tell the amazing story of tourmaline. Thanks for helping me pass sometime.

Post subject: Re: Man cuts incredibly rare tourmaline, experts claim.
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:23 pm 
Site Admin

:shock:
I was on a seven second delay for that post.

I get it now.

Post subject: Re: Man cuts incredibly rare tourmaline, experts claim.
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:56 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

I really wrote the post in honor of someone that you honored with a mighty title, who claimed in many cases that it flourite over his head. I am sorry that you joined him for a bit, but there is a bit of a lesson to be learned from my fantasy. That it is not to believe everything I write. I try to be good and and keep thing straight, especially with Paraiba tourmaline because the world is pretty mixed up about the new precious gemstone that has joined diamonds, rubies and emerald at a comparable price point, but to err is human. And I am a passionate human from Mars with time to talk about tourmaline and you don't need a rocket to get to me.. The under currant them threw the fantasy is the following kernel of truth to me.

High quality Paraiba/paraiba type/cuprian/copper bearing/African paraiba is a real deal in beauty. It did not make it because it is rare, but that certainly did not hurt its value. And it made it despite being in a family of lowly semi precious gems called tourmaline that still do not get the respect it deserves. How many types of gemstones exist that can produce a 3mm round that is exciting? OK maybe I am pushing tourmaline a bit too hard, but it comes with he territory.

Bruce