Dec.20 to 22:SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA: Wholesale and retail show; Gem Faire Inc.; Scottish Rite Center; Fri. 12-6, Sat. 10-6, Sun. 10-5;
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Radioactive inclusions in quartz
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:35 am 
Offline
Valued Contributor

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:12 am
Posts: 135
Radioactive inclusions in quartz, most likely to be uraninite. Tension fractures and dark halos are caused by radiation damage.


Attachments:
uraninite 1.jpg
uraninite 1.jpg [ 60.81 KiB | Viewed 904 times ]
uraninite 2.jpg
uraninite 2.jpg [ 39.25 KiB | Viewed 904 times ]
uraninite 3.jpg
uraninite 3.jpg [ 48.3 KiB | Viewed 904 times ]
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Radioactive inclusions in quartz
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:37 am 
Offline
Valued Contributor

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:12 am
Posts: 135
Another specimen with uraninite inclusions.


Attachments:
uraninite 4.jpg
uraninite 4.jpg [ 46.93 KiB | Viewed 903 times ]
uraninite 5.jpg
uraninite 5.jpg [ 33.07 KiB | Viewed 903 times ]
uraninite 6.jpg
uraninite 6.jpg [ 40 KiB | Viewed 903 times ]
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Radioactive inclusions in quartz
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:19 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:22 pm
Posts: 19943
Location: San Francisco
Really interesting. Not too dissimilar from the zircon inclusions in diamond.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Radioactive inclusions in quartz
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:11 pm 
Offline
Platinum Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:20 am
Posts: 2742
Location: Southern California, U.S.A.
Where is this material from?

_________________
Rick Martin

www.artcutgems.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Radioactive inclusions in quartz
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:55 pm 
Offline
Valued Contributor

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:12 am
Posts: 135
Barbra Voltaire wrote:
Really interesting. Not too dissimilar from the zircon inclusions in diamond.

Yes, but they are not quite common in quartz.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Radioactive inclusions in quartz
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:56 pm 
Offline
Valued Contributor

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:12 am
Posts: 135
ROM wrote:
Where is this material from?

They are from Brazil.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Radioactive inclusions in quartz
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:39 pm 
Offline
Valued Contributor

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:12 am
Posts: 135
Specimens of this type:
Specimen 1 only has radiation halos, no inclusion inside.
Specimen 2 has a radiation halo so dark which makes the inclusion indiscernible.
Specimen 3 is a carving.Mutant golden fish with radioactive eyes.(Quite a match)


Attachments:
uraninite01.jpg
uraninite01.jpg [ 60.18 KiB | Viewed 823 times ]
uraninite02.jpg
uraninite02.jpg [ 54.43 KiB | Viewed 823 times ]
uraninite03.jpg
uraninite03.jpg [ 74.24 KiB | Viewed 823 times ]
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Radioactive inclusions in quartz
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:14 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:22 pm
Posts: 19943
Location: San Francisco
Have any of these specimens been tested with a Geiger Counter?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Radioactive inclusions in quartz
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:27 pm 
Offline
Valued Contributor

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:12 am
Posts: 135
Barbra Voltaire wrote:
Have any of these specimens been tested with a Geiger Counter?

They've all been tested, no radiation detectable.I guess the radiation of the inclusions is weak and can be contained in the quartz.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Radioactive inclusions in quartz
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:55 am 
Offline
Gold Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:05 am
Posts: 1463
zbhjzm wrote:
They've all been tested, no radiation detectable.I guess the radiation of the inclusions is weak and can be contained in the quartz.

The radioactive decay of uranium and its daughter isotopes produce alpha and beta radiation. Alpha (helium nuclei) and beta (electrons) created in the decays have a lot of kinetic energy, but don’t penetrate very far. So the radiation isn’t exactly weak, but it is contained within the quartz.

Very cool to be able to see the effects of radiation damage without having to worry about the radiation itself.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Radioactive inclusions in quartz
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:55 am 
Offline
Valued Contributor

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:12 am
Posts: 135
Brian wrote:
zbhjzm wrote:
They've all been tested, no radiation detectable.I guess the radiation of the inclusions is weak and can be contained in the quartz.

The radioactive decay of uranium and its daughter isotopes produce alpha and beta radiation. Alpha (helium nuclei) and beta (electrons) created in the decays have a lot of kinetic energy, but don’t penetrate very far. So the radiation isn’t exactly weak, but it is contained within the quartz.

Very cool to be able to see the effects of radiation damage without having to worry about the radiation itself.

Yes, it's a good thing there's no γ radiation produced by the inclusions.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Radioactive inclusions in quartz
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:30 am 
Online
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:31 pm
Posts: 3448
Location: North Carolina
It's also probably had an awful long time to soak. Nothing I'd be too worried about on human timescales.

_________________
https://www.etsy.com/shop/angryturtle


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Radioactive inclusions in quartz
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:49 am 
Offline
Valued Contributor

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:12 am
Posts: 135
Stephen Challener wrote:
It's also probably had an awful long time to soak. Nothing I'd be too worried about on human timescales.

Yes,the dark halos probably take billion years to form.:D


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Radioactive inclusions in quartz
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:46 pm 
Offline
Gold Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:05 am
Posts: 1463
Well, the half life for uranium 238 decay is 4.5 billion years, about the same as the age of the earth. So those halos will continue darkening for several more billion years.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Radioactive inclusions in quartz
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:40 pm 
Offline
Valued Contributor

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:12 am
Posts: 135
Brian wrote:
Well, the half life for uranium 238 decay is 4.5 billion years, about the same as the age of the earth. So those halos will continue darkening for several more billion years.

Yes, that's nice. =D>


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Gemology Style ported to phpBB3 by Christian Bullock