January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:33 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: New: Sunday chats
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:58 am 
Platinum Member

Hi all,

I'm very pleased to announce that a new chat is going to be held on Sundays at 8PM London time. That is 9PM Paris, 3PM New York, noon San Francisco and 5AM Melbourne (Monday).

These chats will be hosted by Brian and are indepth physics chats. We will not cover the basics as during the Saturday chats, instead we will try to go beyond the realm of gemmology to get a better understanding of topics.

The chats are open to everyone and you can login as usual at http://yey.be/chat/login.html

Note: this is in addition to the Saturday chats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:34 pm 
Platinum Member

Is there a topic set for this Sunday?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:30 am 
Platinum Member

Hi,

Yes, polarization and the polariscope.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:02 pm 
Established Member

Glad to know there's an additional chat. Hopefully I'll be able to make it tomorrow. I was on my way back from the Keys earlier on today and thought I'd be able to stop around South Beach to make the chat but I got a bit lost. Anyhow, hopefully I'll catch it tomorrow ... and if not then see you folks next Saturday.

All the Best,

Sara

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:48 am 
Gold Member

The chat today was great, and Brian is an excellent teacher. He even got me to understand what he was talking about, and that's quite a feat. :smt017

Y'all need to write it on your calendar for next week and make sure you don't miss it. Thanks Brian!! :smt038

Quantum Mechanics...the dreams stuff is made of. :smt047

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:05 am 
Site Admin

Humble apologies to Brian.

I MISSED IT :(

Electrical storms started at around 8pm and didn't finish till after midnight. It's still rumbling thunder now (next morning).

Please post the log Doos.

Weather permitting I'll be there next week

sorry once again

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:07 am 
Gold Member

No problem Frank, we'll see you next time.

Initially we weren't going to post the logs. But after Crystal lost connection a couple times, we decided that posting the logs would be a good idea. So I think Doos will post them sometime this week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:20 am 
Site Admin

I think they should be posted for all of us that couln't attend but would have wanted to

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:26 am 
Valued Contributor

Hi Guys,

I second Crystal, it was a great lecture- Brian's an excellent teacher, and very patient and friendly. Carrying me and Crystal along on a three hour physics lecture is quiet an accomplishment- and it was a lot of fun.

Defenitely had a date worth pencilling in for the coming weeks.

So, a huge thanks to Brian, and to Doos for arranging it all :smt039

Love gemmsongImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:31 am 
Platinum Member

Hi,

I must agree, it was an excellent tutoring session and I'm pleased to say I'm a bit smarter now. Of course I had my dombo hat on as usual.
The chat was about extinction of polarizers and coming Sunday it will continue with hoew it works when a mineral is between the polarizers.
You can read the log at http://yey.be/chatlogs/extinction.cgi , but there is not substitude for attendance.

Last Saturday's log was about inclusions by Annie and we will continue that topic next week. So this weeks Saturday chat is canceled (tomorrow) .. the Sunday chat will proceed as planned (day after tomorrow).
The log: http://yey.be/chatlogs/chatlog85.cgi

Hope to see you in chat coming Sunday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:28 pm 
Gold Member

This past Sunday, we built a physical picture to understand why a uniaxial stone reacts the way it does between crossed polars. A note to myself and the others: I forgot to mention the short-cut math to figure out the reaction, so remind me next time to do so.

Hopefully, Doos will post the log, so that I can see if we were making any sense or not. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:57 pm 
Gold Member

Brian, you amazed me once again by explaining the concepts so simply, even I understood!!! I'm really looking forward to reading the chat a few more times in the hopes the information will sink in and stay with me. You're a great teacher, Brian. Thanks!! :smt041

...but don't confuse me with the math, now. :smt102

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:16 pm 
Platinum Member

Hi,

Brian's chat is posted at http://yey.be/chatlogs/extinction2.cgi

Please keep in mind that these are advanced chats at fast pace that go beyond the realm of gemmology and that Brian takes time from his family to tutor us.
We should be courteous back and do the math (even if we need to wake up late at night and head for the calculator when we found the eureka moment).

We're not in Kansas anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:39 pm 
Gold Member

oh I'm not worried. Crystal had her calculator time before last, and even pressed the sine key. So I'm sure she'll do it again. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:40 am 
Gold Member

Doos wrote:
We should be courteous back and do the math (even if we need to wake up late at night and head for the calculator when we found the eureka moment).

We're not in Kansas anymore.

:shock: When have I ever not been "courteous", or not participated in whatever the group was doing? :shock:

I made it clear from the get-go that I have no background or understanding of physics or trigonometry, and that equations using letters confuse me, and make no sense at all to me, but I still go through the motions with everyone else to get a feel for what I'm trying to absorb, even if I don't exactly understand it, and sometimes I even catch a glimmer of understanding, and stumble on a right answer. Brian's teaching methods are amazing and have guided me to an understanding of concepts completely foreign to me, and the answers I've come up with to his questions have been correct, for the most part, but I'm sorry to have to tell you that when we get to those equations, they're still Greek to me, but that doesn't mean I won't be doing them, and trying. :smt017

I said during the first chat that I'm just sitting in on this advanced class to glean whatever I am able to from it, and told everyone not to wait for me so as not to hold up the class. You're aware of the level I'm at from the Saturday chats I've attended for years now, and you know you were the one who introduced me to the scientific calculator I had no idea was even on the computer, much less how to use it, so you probably should have told me not to bother sitting in on these classes if math and science degrees are a prerequisite for attending such advanced chats. :oops:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next