January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: WHERE CAN I BUY HIGH QUALITY SYNTHETIC GEMSTONES?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:49 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Greetings to everyone who will read my post.
I was interested to collect some gems, in particular corundum (of various color), emeralds and maybe something else :D
I spent some months looking around, making a basic knowledge, and now I would like to buy some of them.
Unluckily I am just a student, so, for the moment I would like to start with some synthetics, just to admire on my desk (literally, maybe I’ll pick the best one to get a ring).
Spent hours and hours on forums and online pages, and the best shop that uses hydrothermal or flux, which are the best methods to craft the most close “natural” stone (as far as I understood ), and at the same time looks reliable, is rustgems.
I don’t wanna buy a flame stone or something that has just a similar color, I’d like to find a synthetic stone which gives the same optical perception of a natural stone.
Of course, I don’t pretend to have a 100% of it, but I don’t wanna trow my money, so, if I can’t get it cuz the synthetic process can’t create what I am looking for, or it can but isn’t available online, guess I’ll have to wait :(
Unluckily I am just a gemstones lover, i am studying a completely different thing, and I haven’t the skills to judge any aspect of a stone’s qualities, which is why I need your help.
So, to recap, I am here today to ask you if something like this exists on the market, and if it’s available online, without connection in the field.
Thank you in advance ❤️

Post subject: Re: WHERE CAN I BUY HIGH QUALITY SYNTHETIC GEMSTONES?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:10 am 
Gold Member

Let me know what your exactly looking for, I have alot of old stock synthetic materials. Most currently uncut, so there is no showcase of picking if that is what your hoping to find. What deterred you from just purchasing from RusGems?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:16 pm 

glhays wrote:
Let me know what your exactly looking for, I have alot of old stock synthetic materials. Most currently uncut, so there is no showcase of picking if that is what your hoping to find. What deterred you from just purchasing from RusGems?

I’m not in hurry, and as I said I’d like to have some feedback and suggestions from someone that knows what he is talking about.
Secondly, when I sent them and email through eBay, they have been... maybe unprofessional or rude would be too far as description of their sales team experience, but I had the feeling that they just don’t care that much of eBay sales.
Maybe happened just to me, they have good photos on eBay, but when I wrote them an email to find more details and photos or videos of old sales to see the stone’s tone and color, they just sent me an horrible promotional picture in 480p, and after that they never text me back.
I can’t even blame them, it’s not a jewelry store, they have more margins selling kilos than a single stone, and that’s why I am here asking for other experiences.
Btw, I’d like to start from the most common stones: ruby, sapphire (blue, yellow, purple, padpa), emerald.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:19 pm 
Gold Member

I re-read your post this morning and I think you really need to get a better understanding of synthetic gemstone market and as well the differences of synthetic s and simulants. Here is a link to get started https://www.gia.edu/gem-synthetic Get some knowledge, then you will have an idea of what to look for.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:53 pm 

glhays wrote:
I re-read your post this morning and I think you really need to get a better understanding of synthetic gemstone market and as well the differences of synthetic s and simulants. Here is a link to get started https://www.gia.edu/gem-synthetic Get some knowledge, then you will have an idea of what to look for.

Be specific, read even research papers, what should i know?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:31 pm 
Gold Member

ep123 wrote:
I don’t wanna buy a flame stone or something that has just a similar color, I’d like to find a synthetic stone which gives the same optical perception of a natural stone.
Of course, I don’t pretend to have a 100% of it, but I don’t wanna trow my money, so, if I can’t get it cuz the synthetic process can’t create what I am looking for, or it can but isn’t available online, guess I’ll have to wait :(
Unluckily I am just a gemstones lover, i am studying a completely different thing, and I haven’t the skills to judge any aspect of a stone’s qualities, which is why I need your help.
This is part of your original post, and based on that offered a link to some helpful information on the subject. Clearly your somewhat argumentative. I have dealt with RusGems for many years and they are as professional as it gets. Wish you all the best in your endeavors in this trade.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:55 am 

glhays wrote:
ep123 wrote:
This is part of your original post, and based on that offered a link to some helpful information on the subject. Clearly your somewhat argumentative. I have dealt with RusGems for many years and they are as professional as it gets. Wish you all the best in your endeavors in this trade.

i don't know what you mean.
This is what i was sayin:
1. flame stone is written everywhere that is not a the level of hydro or flux
2. i don't pretend to have a natural stone, i am just looking for a fine synthetic with a natural visual effect/optical perception (other in the past were avalable on the market, is something like that still there?). It means that, if i look it to the naked eye (no tools), would be able hard or even impossible to spot a synt even for a trained eye.
3. i don't know if there is something at THAT LEVEL on the market, and/or if can buy that just with some connection in the field. Is there?
4. i am a newbie, i just love stone, if i buy something online could even be some glass, and i wont even be able to get it, that's why i am aking here if someone who is able to, and bought some fine synt, would be so nice to redirect me to the online store.
That's why i don't understand your like, the only part which make sense is when i talk about flame, but i guess its a fact.
anyway i am a monkey on this topic, so help me :)

About rustgems, as i said, i am talking about my personal experience.
it might be an isolated case, but that's what happened, hope to change my mind when i'll contact them again.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:32 am 

glhays wrote:
ep123 wrote:
I don’t wanna buy a flame stone or something that has just a similar color, I’d like to find a synthetic stone that gives the same optical perception of a natural stone.
Of course, I don’t pretend to have a 100% of it, but I don’t wanna throw my money, so, if I can’t get it cuz the synthetic process can’t create what I am looking for, or it can but isn’t available online, guess I’ll have to wait :(

I really appreciate your help, I'm sorry if I seemed a bit rude, i wrote a short message because i just woke up, and I'm not an English native, and a better message would have required an amount of cognitive resources that i dint have at that time.

Hope you will be accept my justification <3

it wasn't my intention, i don't even have the skills to argue about something in this field, i was just asking to go into the substance and explain to me what was wrong.
What i am asking, is to have suggestions from experts, an answer to questions like this: where can i buy some high-quality synth? What do you think of "that seller", what do you think about the "other one", which are the differences between them? do they do better rubies or sapphires?

I'd like to have that kind of information because, otherwise, you should explain me from A to Z.
I've got a really basic basic basic knowledge of methods, but now i NEED HELP to make an informed purchase, because i can't go any further alone, as i said i wouldn't be able to distinguish a piece of glass, that the reason cuz i am here, i need someone that says: "that's a really good synthetic, you can buy from them"

RUSTGEMS:
-What do you think about hydro/pulled offered by rustgems? what are the differences between them in their stones(pulled blue sapphire/ hydro blue sapp)(same for rubies)?
-Do you think that their rubies and sapphires are able to "recreate" that natural look? (as their emerald seem able to)
-Do you have any suggestion about what is worth to buy?(random answer example: emerald are worth at that price because inclusions look really natural, rubies too, blue sapphires don't)

I really appreciate your help, I'm sorry if I seemed a bit rude, i wrote a short message because i just woke up, and I'm not an English native, and a better message would have required an amount of cognitive resources that i dint have at that time.

Hope you will be accept my justification <3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:56 pm 
Valued Contributor

When it comes to rubies and sapphires, the closest I've seen which looked like their natural counterparts were the flux created ones (i.e. Kashan, Ramaura, Chatham, Knischka, Douros...).
They are not super easy to find these days, as most of them aren't being produced anymore.