July 11-12:BILLINGS, MONTANA: Annual show; Billings Gem and Mineral Club; Sat. 10-5, Sun. 10-4; Free admission!
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:43 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: BE treatment and Synthetic Corundum
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:58 pm 
Gemology Online √úbergod

Does anyone know if synthetic corundum is BE treatable and is it being done?

J-

Post subject: Re: BE treatment and Synthetic Corundum
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:25 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

I have seen just about everything else done to synthetic corundum to pass it off as natural treated material to scam unknowing buyers. Now, I have not gotten any in hand yet, but I have heard from reliable sources that they have seen some of this material floating through the market. Were they mistaken? Could have been. While not a Gemologist nor formally trained they do have quite a bit of hands on experience and have been very reliable in the past with info on new treatments and scams. He is trying to get a sample of one for me to check out and get further testing done. Will see if he pulls through or not. But he did say it is not a lot coming through that he has seen.

Does not surprise me though one bit if they really are. Obviously there is no reason the treatment should not work on synthetic corundum. Many may ask why bother? But why bother taking a synthetic ruby, quench cracking it and then lead glass filling the fissures created!? Why take a synthetic ruby, quench crack it, and then real heat it with flux to heal the created fractures/fissures!!?? Easy answer really, cheaper then the real thing, and they can make quick cash for very little work. And yes, I have seen both of the aforementioned products in hand already, lol! Quite convincing too to be honest!

I have even seen them take synthetic corundum and tumble it, bury it in the mud for days/weeks/months/???, then place them in minute hole netted bag like things and toss them into the stream/creek/river to tumble and get embedded with more dirt and debris, and then bury in the mud some more. Then take them and seed parcels of real corundum with them and sell them off as natural untreated rough! Seen this come from Thailand, Vietnam, and even in a parcel from Africa as well.

The extent they are going to make synthetics look like natural to do nothing more then scam, is insane honestly! If they put that kind of effort and ingenuity into something constructive they could probably do even better and do so with something legit too!

Heck, I am doing a research deal right now on jaspers and agates, even a new lapis fake, that are totally faked! Nothing but resin composites of molded stones with materials swirled in, dyed, etc. Picture jaspers with the pictures painted on, silk screened like and then adhered on and glazed over and then polished, etc. Totally insane! These are flooding in from China in both cabs and beads like crazy! Left the Attack last night and went into Acid today. ;)