Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Emerald with internal cracks
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:57 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Hi.

I'm new hear and have a problem with a item I purchased from a well-know UK retailer.

I purchased the exact ring shown below at sale price in August. It has a 1 carat emerald. When it arrived the ring looked great but soon after we noticed what can only be described as internal cracks.

I took the ring back to the shop and the entire shop had a look at it suggested a number of reasons (it had been knocked/hit or dipped in water). My wife states that it hadn't been hit and maybe she's washed her hands after visiting the toilet.

Anyhow they suggested sending it off to their head office for their expert to look at it and quoted a month waiting time. I could go on and on and about the very poor customer service and the crap their employees talk. however after chasing up I eventually managed to get a answer.

The man suggested they would fit a NEW stone but it MIGHT not be the exact same colour. I explained the reason why I bought the ring was because my wife like the colour (and also in the back of my mind wondering if they want to put a lesser value stone). I asked him for a colour reference to the new stone (like a pantone number) and he said he'd get back to me.

Next time he called he didn't mention the new stone but said that they were going to "relubricate" the old stone. I said "will it look like it did when it arrived". He said it would and I was ok with that as we just want it how it was and to stay like that. He quoted another 2 weeks.

A few days ago, after chasing again, the ring was finally available for collection and to be honest, isn't anywhere near to how it originally looked. My wife thinks it does look slightly better then when we sent it off, but not a great deal better.

I just feel the company are being very tricky and treating us like idiots.

I'm sorry the images aren't very clear.

Can you give me some further advice on emeralds and the treatment. Is it worthwhile going to an independent jeweller and getting it refilled with oil. What sort of cost would we expect to pay? What else can be done to improve the clarity of the stone

Thank you for reading

Cheers.

Post subject: Re: Emerald with internal cracks
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:22 pm 
Site Admin

I suggest soliciting the services of a local gemologist who can microscopically examine the stone and determine the extent of surfacing fractures and nature of the filling.
Inclusions in emerald are common. Filling surfacing inclusions with oils or other substances is also common. This makes them (surfacing inclusions) less noticeable.
The stability of fillers used is variable.

Perhaps you can find a gemologist who will act as your advocate when dealing with the retailer.
Good luck.