GemologyOnline.com
https://www.gemologyonline.com/Forum/phpBB2/

Dichromatic (not dichroic) blue YAG
https://www.gemologyonline.com/Forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=23470
Page 1 of 2

Author:  Faceting 101 by Arya [ Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Dichromatic (not dichroic) blue YAG

Hey folks! I have an interesting synthetic find that I'll be bringing to Tucson. It's a giant slab of blue-purple YAG, obviously not Nd:YAG, that was grown in Russia by the horizontal floating zone method. It also happens to be dichromatic. Thinner pieces are obviously violet, but thicker pieces are rich blue with a hint of green. And it's not a zoning issue either - I checked.

Just wanted to share.

Author:  Stephen Challener [ Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Dichromatic (not dichroic) blue YAG

Cool! Yet another reason not to miss the GO dinner!

Author:  Barbra Voltaire, FGG [ Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Dichromatic (not dichroic) blue YAG

:cry: don't forget pictures... [-o<

Author:  wilsonintexas [ Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:32 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Dichromatic (not dichroic) blue YAG

I'm stuck up in Alaska I was actually hoping to make the show this year but won't be able to make it

If you're selling any of it any chance you could put some in the marketplace?

Author:  Brian [ Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Dichromatic (not dichroic) blue YAG

Faceting 101 by Arya wrote:
Thinner pieces are obviously violet, but thicker pieces are rich blue with a hint of green.


Seems like the usambara effect, but at the other end of the color spectrum, with material that transmits more violet than blue, while the eye is more sensitive to blue than violet. Cool.

Author:  Faceting 101 by Arya [ Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Dichromatic (not dichroic) blue YAG

Brian wrote:
Seems like the usambara effect, but at the other end of the color spectrum, with material that transmits more violet than blue, while the eye is more sensitive to blue than violet. Cool.

Yup it's basically the Usambara effect, but instead of green => red, it's violet => blue.

Author:  Barbra Voltaire, FGG [ Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:32 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Dichromatic (not dichroic) blue YAG

Arya, can you get me a sample? Just let me know $.

Author:  Faceting 101 by Arya [ Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:03 am ]
Post subject:  Faceting 101 by Arya

Barbra Voltaire wrote:
Arya, can you get me a sample? Just let me know $.

Sure, I'll saw it up a bit more and bring some to Tucson.

Author:  Barbra Voltaire, FGG [ Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Dichromatic (not dichroic) blue YAG

I won't be making it to Tucson this year. Fractured patella.

Author:  wilsonintexas [ Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Dichromatic (not dichroic) blue YAG

Barbra Voltaire wrote:
I won't be making it to Tucson this year. Fractured patella.



Sorry to hear that, I hope your recovery goes well.

Author:  Faceting 101 by Arya [ Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:23 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Dichromatic (not dichroic) blue YAG

A) So, on further testing, it also has a colour shift. Usambara effect, AND colour shift. Interesting.

B) Shoot sorry Barbra, I forgot :( I'll mail you a piece once I saw it up. Wasn't really planning on selling any - were you just interested to see and/or test it, or did you want a piece for yourself?

Author:  Barbra Voltaire, FGG [ Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Dichromatic (not dichroic) blue YAG

All of the above. I'd love to have a piece for my collection.
I've always been captivated by the Usambara effect.
For anyone needing a bit more information:
http://www.nordskip.com/usambara.html

Author:  wilsonintexas [ Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Dichromatic (not dichroic) blue YAG

Faceting 101 by Arya wrote:
A) So, on further testing, it also has a colour shift. Usambara effect, AND colour shift. Interesting.

B) Shoot sorry Barbra, I forgot :( I'll mail you a piece once I saw it up. Wasn't really planning on selling any - were you just interested to see and/or test it, or did you want a piece for yourself?



any chance for pictures? It sounds like very interesting stuff. If you cut any can youtell us how it polishes?

Author:  Faceting 101 by Arya [ Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Dichromatic (not dichroic) blue YAG

wilsonintexas wrote:
any chance for pictures? It sounds like very interesting stuff. If you cut any can youtell us how it polishes?

I'll upload the video after my exams on Saturday. I took some video of the original piece, before I did the preliminary sawing. Will also take some good pics demonstrating the effect and post them too.

Author:  Alberto [ Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:30 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Dichromatic (not dichroic) blue YAG

don't forget to stop by for taking some spectra!! :lol: :lol: 8) 8) 8) 8) :wink: :wink: :wink:

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 4 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/