CIBJO releases Gemmological Special Report: considers process of separating measurable facts from opinion; See Gemological Articles below.
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Misrepresentation at Show in Vegas
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:42 pm 

Amazing!!! We recently recieved a package of nice looking jewelry that our store manager ordered at the JCK show in Las Vegas. A number of emerald-and-diamond and blue sapphire-and-diamond pieces. The emeralds are all flux synthetics (whispy veils, breadcrumbs, etc), and the blue sapphires are all titanium diffused. Nowhere on the invoice was this information disclosed. This was also not disclosed to my manager when he chose the items in Las Vegas. When we called our rep he said that the emeralds "are natural emeralds; recrystalized from ground-up natural emerald". He said the sapphires were Be diffused...well he is partly correct; they are diffused, but not with Be: the spiderweb patter on the facet junctions is dead obvious.
What a crock! On top of that he said we were the first of his clients to say anything. Jeeze-o-pete!
This is a direct violation of the FTC's policy of disclosure for treated and synthetic gems.
It really does come down to the retailing jeweler needing to know their stuff. I would have hated to sell the pieces on the word of our supplier alone. Of course, our 60 year reputation would be at risk, as well as facing possible legal action...

Post subject: Re: Misrepresentation at Show in Vegas
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:18 am 
Site Admin

the stuff you are reporting reminds me a booth at the GJX in Tucson. Those dudes have all that stuff and were marketing the emeralds by using exactly the same description..... I remember I stopped by and start arguing with the folks but i soon realized they were too much ignorant (or maybe too much smart) to understand what i was saying, after a while i gave up and move away not before saying they cannot market those stuff that way.....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:04 am 

It is frightening. This is a multi-national company that supplies many jewelers. I spoke to the rep and told him that they need to make it clear that they are selling synthetics and treated stones. He said that there were notes on the trays, but because they are primarily a diamond line they really don't know much about colored stones. I saw something similar about 8 years ago from another diamond dealer who decided to get into color. We were sent an $18,000.00 cost ring; beautiful custom mounting all pave'd in 18 karat white gold, and set with a large glass filled ruby. They didn't know...
More recently there are large international silver brands using "red sapphire"= Be diffused sapphire, green amethyst, and glass filled blue sapphire and ruby, and not declaring it. Are the standards in the world getting more lax?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am 
Gold Member

Quote:
natural emeralds; recrystalized from ground-up natural emerald

Curiosity question: Is this really considered preferable to flux-grown synthetic emerald?

Some references indicate that "recrystallized" emerald is hydrothermal. Morion lists flux-grown at 3 times the price of hydrothermal. Can anybody clarify?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:30 pm 

In theory starting from ground natural stones might help you get the trace element balance right if someone were doing that kind of analysis, but I would guess that crystallization is more complicated than that and the distribution of elements and the color wouldn't necessarily be identical to the natural stones they were made from. More importantly, what kind of emeralds could they even source for grinding up into powder? My guess isn't fine-colored, chemically/mineralogically pure examples of the species.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:28 pm 

The emeralds in this case were classic flux; with vails, all had an identical overly saturated medium-dark blueish-green hue.
We need to also remember that healed fractures in heat-treated ruby are actually "healed" with "recryslalized" natural corundum. This fracture-healing material is now called synthetic ruby.