January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Review: 2012 Jewelers Guide To Treated & Created Gems
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:06 pm 

I have copies of both the 2012 Guide to Tucson Treated & Created Gems and the 2012 Jewelers Guide to Treated & Created Gems. I would have responded to you on the FB group, but I'm not a member, so I'll do so here.

As you mentioned, the two books are essentially identical. I've read them cover-to-cover and don't think I've ever read any other books dealing with gemology that contain so many errors. These range from obvious typos (quartz misspelled as quarts) to statements that range from the "arguably wrong" to the "flat out wrong." The entire book is not unlike the rest of the author's "science." Sloppy and full of half-baked concepts that leave many gemologists simply in shock.

I point out the typos merely because they are evidence of someone who apparently treats his readers with contempt. Otherwise why would he not have an editor examine the manuscript prior to publication?

But it is the gemological statements that are most important. So let me cite an example. I'll start with the letter "A" because in my alphabet, it comes first (in the author's alphabet, Tourmaline comes after Turquoise and Tsavorite before Topaz):

Page 7 of the Tucson book:

"Alexandrite: Lab Created, Method: Pulled. Primary Tests: The pulled alexandrites are simply too flawless to be natural. The very nature of a chromium colored gemstone will lead to inclusions of some type."

"Secondary Tests: Just like the flux-melt lab created alexandrites, the spectroscope will help as the chromium lines will be very strong due to a high volume of Cr used in the synthesizing process."

Bob, I ask you one simple question: If, as the author states, a chromium colored gemstone will have inclusions of some type, then why does the synthetic (which the author states has such a high chromium content) not have lots of inclusions?

I'll be happy to walk you through the entire book if you'd like. There are similar contradictions and mistakes on so many of the pages of this slender volume.

lotusgemology.com

Post subject: Review: 2012 Jewelers Guide To Treated & Created Gems
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 2:42 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Before you even consider buying this book, read this review by Jeffrey Bergman:

A Critical Review of 2012 Jewelers Guide to Treated & Created Gems by Robert James© World Gem Society and YourGemologist LLC

http://www.primagem.com/WSG-Treatments-Guide.pdf

RWW