Time to catch up on reading, lapidary projects and binge watching TV. Stay home. Stay well.
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu May 28, 2020 8:44 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Let's talk antiquarian gem books?
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:23 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

I have been collecting gem/jewelry books for two decades. This forum seems like the ideal place for bibliophiles interested in gem/gemology/jewelry books to congregate. I know several very knowledgable collectors whose comments I would love to see here.

Are there members of GO who are interested?

Let me kick things off with a recommendation of a 2006 paper submitted to The American Geological Society by Annibale Mottana, Italian gemology during the Renaissance:
A step toward modern mineralogy.
The subject is gemology of the Italian Renaissance. What it really is is a illustrated bibliography and critique of books published during that period in Italy. https://www.academia.edu/7868291/Italia ... TRODUCTION

TO BEGIN:

For anyone seeking to start or enhance their collection: John Sinkankas' Gemology, An Annotated Bibliography http://www.amazon.com/Gemology-Annotate ... 0810826526. Not only is it an important addition to any collection, it is an absolutely necessary guide to building a collection.

IS ANYONE INTERESTED? DON'T BE SHY, RESPOND.

RWW

Post subject: Re: Let's talk antiquarian gem books?
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:55 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Not exactly antiquarian but I have -Ruby and Sapphire(1st edition signed-Hughes), Secrets of the Gem Trade(1st edition signed-Wise). Mogok Valley of Rubies and Sapphires (Themelis), Many Matlins and Newman guides, Gemstones (Cally Hall), Collectors Guide to the Beryl Group(Lauf), some Lapis International soft covers and a few old G&G mags. Nothing to do with gem books but I met artist Peter Max at a book signing many years ago. I have his signed book with a little sketch he did on the first page. I even made him sign the ugly neon lime green jacket I was wearing. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:17 pm 
Site Admin

Also a lot of nice stuff to find here. Not in paper of course but possible to read online or downloaded.
J Gill Library

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:23 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

I am an ardent fan of antique jewellery and I would love to know a few titles covering this beautiful collection. I personally think reading helps us to broaden our knowledge in this field of interest and enables us to pursue our hobby or passion with more enthusiast.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:30 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Connie,

Gill's Index published by GIA in 1987 is good, but very dated. I see that you have updated the online version. Is this the updated Index? There is quite a lot left out.

Suggest:

Sinkankas, Gemology, An Annotated Bibliography 2 volumes. Scarecrow Press 1993 is probably the best guide and still available, I believe.

Also,

Christies, October 21, 1986, The Gill Collection of Historical Gem Books (two parts)
Christies (Geneva), October 18,1997, The Theodore Horowitz Collection
Sotheby's (NY) January 10, 2001. The Magnificent Scientific Library of Joseph A. Freilich
Swann, (NY) March 20, 2003: Books on Gems and Jewelry, The Henry Polissack Library (Part I)
Swann, May 27, 2004 Books on Gems and Jewelry, The Henry Polissack Library (Part II)

The "also" are excellent price guides as well as having some excellent descriptions. Any others, I'd be grateful to hear about them.

Richard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:04 am 
Site Admin

Regarding Sinkankas there is still copyright so no publishing at "the library". Otherwise there would be a lot of other Sinkankas books I would like to have there. There are problems with the links and time constraints have unfortunately hindered me from working on that but all links will be up and running during this fall again.

Thanks for your tips.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:19 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Conny,

I don't think copyright issues preclude your adding the books listed in the bibliography. Adding John's comments would be something else. Every once in a while I come across something he missed, but overall his work is very comprehensive.

Farlang.com has a great library as I am sure you know.

Thanks for your efforts.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:39 am 
Site Admin

You are right regarding this if it was supposed to be "just a list" but the library at my site which was handed to me through a meandering way from Joseph Gill is supposed to be fully downloadable which it has been and also will be as soon as I get the time to rework the links. Everything in the library has a corresponding .pdf file. Guess the dark nights of Scandinavia this winter might get me some more time.

Many of the original files has been left out already because of copyright issues.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:37 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Hi Folks,

I have a question about antiquarian book prices.

Background is I just retrieved and opened a number of boxes of books that had been stored for some years in a variety of barns and basements, and found therein, to my delight, my complete (save for 2 issues) set of Gem-A's "The Gemmologist" dating back to the 1930's, "The Opal Synthesis Handbook" which I had completely forgotten about, "American Mineral Treasures," and best of all my signed first edition of Richard Hughes "Ruby and Sapphire." That one had distressed me. I knew I had at one point lent it, but could no longer remember if I had ever gotten it back. So it was like little Christmas to pick up the Opal Synthesis Handbook out of the box and see Ruby And Sapphire resurface right below it.

That led me to check out the prices for some these books on Amazon. Gasp!! "Amercican Mineral Treasures" is being offered at prices ranging from 600$ to - imagine this! - over 7,000$!; for "Ruby and Sapphire" the lowest asking price is $1,000, the highest $3,800. (not sure if US or Canadian $). Which leaves me shaking my head and wondering how realistic is this, and how does this system work? Seven thousand dollars for "American Mineral Treasures" - is that a real world price? Has it actually been sold in that price range? Does anyone know? Or is this some sort of pro-forma offering and if so what useful purpose does it serve? And is there perhaps a specialized used book site where real actual recent prices for these books can be traced?

Cheers all
Hans Durstling
Moncton, Canada

Ecclesiastes 10:19

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:37 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Just ran across this:
This archive dates from 1962 to 2002, and is an archive of the renowned gemologist, mineralogist, lapidary, author, artist, historian, scholar, and antiquarian book dealer, consisting of books written by John Sinkankas, 4 signed/inscribed to this bookseller, 2 signed/inscribed to other individuals, and 2 additional books unsigned including Gemology. An Annotated Bibliography, 2 of Gemstones of North America; a bound offprint of Gems & Gemology, 1989 with article on Th

http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=sl ... 0sinkankas

Which might be of interest to someone on the list - too expensive for me:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:56 pm 
Site Admin

I made it easy for me. The J Gill Libray is up and running again. Just linked to the old page where all links are working. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:09 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Hi folks,

Here's another antiquarian gemmological question.

I've been doing a bit of online research on "The Gemmologist" - the early (1931 - 1962) publication of the British Gemmological Association. That fact that it was published by the N.A.G. press (National Association of Goldsmiths) is interesting as indicating the close ties between gemology and goldsmithing at that time.

The only useful information I've been able to find so far is that a bound set of "The Gemmologist" was sold eighteen years ago (in November 1997) by Christies, in Geneva, for 7,400 Swiss Francs ($5,300).

I have a set (the original individual magazines, not bound) that is complete save for two issues. It seems to me that these two issues fall at some time during the war years, so there is at least a possibility that they may not have been published at all.

That leads me to a dual question - A) how can I find out whether the two "missing" issues were indeed published? Is there an online research resource that traces and compiles such information? and B) Where would I go, what would I do, to find out approximately what my set would be worth?

Cheers all,
Hans Durstling
Moncton, Canada

Ecclesiastes 10:19

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:58 am 
Site Admin

Sidebar:
Just posted Joseph Gill's 81 years of G&G Free Download
http://www.gemologyonline.com/Forum/php ... 54&t=21741

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:52 am 

Thanks to Joseph for this! I was scootin' my way through when I came across this gem (July-August 1934):
"Another violet-red garnet gave the laboratory a stiff battle before it was determined. This gem exhibited single refraction, a refractive index of 1.76, and specific gravity 3.89. The difficulty in the determination was encountered when the stone proved to be over 8 in hardness; it scratched
topaz and topaz would not scratch it. The spectroscope was resorted to, and the gem showed the absorption bands characteristic of almandite. Upon the strength of this test in conjunction with the refractive index alid specific gravity, and in the absence of a description of a mineral possessing such properties and a hardness of over 8, the gem was classified. as a rhodolite
garnet."
Holy cow, did they come across a taafeite and not recognize it? The specific gravity is a bit high, but still! Ain't no almandine that's gonna scratch topaz.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:41 pm 
Gold Member

Stephen Challener wrote:
Holy cow, did they come across a taafeite and not recognize it? The specific gravity is a bit high, but still! Ain't no almandine that's gonna scratch topaz.

Are you suggesting a scratch test is more useful than SG and spectrum?