Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:22 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Two important books, looking to trade
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:11 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

All,

Have two duplicates in my library that I would be interested in selling or in trading. Both of these volumes are historically important musts for a comprehensive gemological library.

Kunz, G. F. & Stevenson, C. H., The Book Of The Pearl: The History, Art, Science and Industry of the Queen of Gems, Century Co., NY, 1908. 1st Edition, Some soiling on cover, spine sunned and faded, contents Fine. condition VG. “A beautiful example of modern book design, executed in high quality material is prized not only for the enormous amount of information…indeed still unmatched in any work since.” (Sinkankas 3690)

Mawe, John, Travels in the Interior of Brazil particularly in The Gold and diamond Districts of That Country, Rebound in full calf. some browning and and spotting, professional repair to three of the foldouts. 1st American Edition, M. Carey, Philadelphia, 1816, condition VG. “A work much valued by historians…one of the earliest reliable accounts…and the first on the diamond and gold washings…mentions his visit to the famous precious topaz mines near Villa Rica (Ouro Preto...very rare” (Sinkankas 4270)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:26 am 

I'm curious, do you scour the used book sellers when you travel, or do you aquire these through dealers?

Maybe you could give us an idea of what you are selling them for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:24 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Auctions, book dealers, used book shops, all of the above. My first serious purchase was probably my best and caused me to get the bug. It helps that I need many of these books for my research and they are, therefore, tax deductable for my company.

I bought Ball's personal copy of the two volume 1st edition of his translation (the second) of Jean-Baptiste Tavernier's Six Voyages The set had also been owned by Crooke who filled it with handwritten notes and letters that he used to edit what was to become the Ball, Crooke definitve edition of the work in English.

The Book of the Pearl is $950.00 and the Mawe, which by the way has some beautiful copper engravings of diamond washing and other mining activities, is $800.00. The odd thing is, you could probably sell the engravings for that much. The Kunz-Stevenson is available in a Dove reprint but the Mawe has not been reprinted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:41 am 

Quote:
I bought Ball's personal copy of the two volume 1st edition of his translation (the second) of Jean-Baptiste Tavernier's Six Voyages The set had also been owned by Crooke who filled it with handwritten notes and letters that he used to edit what was to become the Ball, Crooke definitve edition of the work in English.

Coming across this sort of thing must be fascinating, like a glimpse into the past and someone else's mind.