January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Need suggestions for good books on Opal
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:10 pm 
Valued Contributor

Want to purchase a really nice book on opal for my sister this Christmas. Just wanted to see if any one had suggestions on books that you recommend. I am looking for something with pretty pictures, excellent information on mines and identification possibly. I don't want something too technical as she won't read it but at the same time I don't want a book that assumes the reader knows nothing.

I have looked at the GO bookshop, and am thinking purchasing the book by Fred Ward, but know there are probably books that are more detailed out there. Suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:15 pm 
Gemology Online Übergod

I have Opal Identification & Value by Paul B. Downing and it has loads of lovely pictures. It's substantially more expensive than the Ward book, however... and I don't know how reliable it is for valuation, as I haven't used it for that purpose.

Post subject: Re: Need suggestions for good books on Opal
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:48 pm 
Platinum Member

Ben P wrote:
I am looking for something with pretty pictures, excellent information on mines and identification possibly. I don't want something too technical as she won't read it but at the same time I don't want a book that assumes the reader knows nothing.

I strongly recommend the Ward book. I own about every book ever published about opal except for some that are out of print. I've also spent a lot of years buying, selling and cutting opals. While there are books that focus on specific aspects of this wonderful gem, Ward's presentation is very well written, concise, informative and relevant to the "real world" of opal mining and trade as I've known it.

I'm not aware of any single book that covers opal mining comprehensively, but Ward's comes as close as any. It focuses on opal formation and distinctions between the various types, and is very well illustrated for its compact size. If you want glorious opal images look for books by Len Cram. Paul Downing has made important contributions to the opal literature but his views are hardly the last word on opal grading and valuation. There are many other excellent books about precious opal and they are all worth reading. I consider Ward's book a very good "opal introduction."

www.artcutgems.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:36 pm 
Valued Contributor

Thanks yall, that is very helpful!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:36 am 
Site Admin

At the last GIA meeting with Drucker, Si and Ann Frazier were in attendance with their new book which has been acclaimed as the best book available on opals:

Opal, The Phenomenal Gemstone
by Si and Ann Frazier

This is one of a series of very collectible gemstone books originally published in German.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:33 pm 
Valued Contributor

Hi

The above suggestions - Fred Ward's Opal Book and Lithograhie's #10 Opal, The Phenomenal Gemstone are the best I have seen. The latter has, as always, outstanding photographs - for this edition I was fortunate to watch some of the specimens being imaged. You can order the book or get a subscription staight from Lithographie http://www.lithographie.org/bookshop.htm The entire series is well worth investing in.

BTW, the next book is going to be on Garnets.... that should get the garnet threads humming. I for one can't wait.