January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:51 am 
Gemology Online Royal Princess

I, too, received the "old" Gem ID course. I finished the Diamonds and Colored Stone Grading courses too quickly to sit around and wait for the new Gem ID. And, fortunately, someone on this forum, who might want to remain annonymous, sold the plastic, colored doohickies to me :D .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:28 pm 
Valued Contributor

Morning Dove wrote:
I, too, received the "old" Gem ID course. I finished the Diamonds and Colored Stone Grading courses too quickly to sit around and wait for the new Gem ID. And, fortunately, someone on this forum, who might want to remain annonymous, sold the plastic, colored doohickies to me :D .

Yeah, I hit mine full force when I first received it, but 4 spinal surgeries, Some nerve redestruction, a couple knee surgeries and then a divorce kind of slowed me up a little.
But I got back with first off in 05 and have been keeping up a pretty good pace. Still some dead spots when other things have me distracted, but I estimate I should be done no later than late spring. I have never been able to just read something and lock it into memory, I have to work at it. Not like my dad that can read, apply it, and 20 years later tell you not only the book and who wrote it, but what page it was on.
:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:05 pm 
Gemology Online Royal Princess

Yes, I can understand . . . my studies during Gem ID have been disrupted several times. I hope to finish up soon; then I just have to come up with the money for the Gem ID Extension Class :roll:. Since I'm a disabled veteran, I'm thinking of asking Uncle Sam if he'll pay for me to attend GIA for two years. They say you can earn every diploma they have in two years. Wouldn't that be fun :D ? Although, I'm pretty sure Uncle Sam would expect me to find employment after all that . . . hmmm . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:02 pm 
Valued Contributor

Morning Dove wrote:
Yes, I can understand . . . my studies during Gem ID have been disrupted several times. I hope to finish up soon; then I just have to come up with the money for the Gem ID Extension Class :roll:. Since I'm a disabled veteran, I'm thinking of asking Uncle Sam if he'll pay for me to attend GIA for two years. They say you can earn every diploma they have in two years. Wouldn't that be fun :D ? Although, I'm pretty sure Uncle Sam would expect me to find employment after all that . . . hmmm . . .

I did check the other year to see if Voc Rehab would cover GIA on campus jewelry program. GIA said it will only cover a small portion, and even with federal financial aid, students still have to find outside sources of money just to pay for the courses. She also told me that the rent in Carlsbad California is not cheap either. Ive been there, Ive been to the campus there. Carlsbad is a beautiful place, right on the ocean just north of San Diego. I already had guessed it wasn’t a low rent district.

You might want to check to see if you can get Vet, Vocational Rehab and Federal financial aid. That might get you through it. If you just wanted them to pay for the extension courses I would bet they would do that. They are basically a 1000 dollars each, and they do have them in larger cities around the country. Maybe they will have them in your town!
All I can say is from my personal experience, keep trying, cause even when the chips are down, you never know what can happen. You might be pleasantly surprised! And for gods sake , don’t listen to me, Im in the dumps right now. I thought this would let me get some real Xmas presents this year.

When you down and out, no one looks at you.
But when you on the top, everyone is your buddy!
Shoot for the top!
:D :D :D :D

Last edited by danielh on Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:55 pm 
Gold Member

danielh wrote:
Moderator wrote:
When did you get your course materials Daniel?

I just finished my G.G. and I asked my instructor in October when the new Gem ID course would be rolled out and she told me that was the million dollar question.

I originally started back in 03, but the new course came out in o5, and I paid the 265 dollars to get the updated course. I had already finished my diamonds by then. The best part was that that $265 extended my finish date. And with having to have some spinal surgery and then going through a divorce, the extra time was a godsend.

I emailed my instructor yesterday to see if you indeed had the new Gem ID course, because I want to order the course materials when it comes out and this was her reply:

"The GID 240 course has not been released yet. Maybe in spring 2006. Perhaps he was in the old CS #42 program and transferred into the #3000 program – which is still using the GID 28."

I thought this may be the case, as I had to upgrade my course materials also, but the Gem ID wasn't ready at that time and it still hasn't been finished yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:09 am 
Valued Contributor

I know they were evaluating the GemEwizard program and told me it was only avalible for on campus students to use at the time I upgraded. I dont really know what GI course number I have, is it listed on the book anywhere or on the box the course comes in? I think I still have those.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:25 am 
Gold Member

This is separate from the GemEWizard program.

If you are doing the Colored Stones section of your G.G. program, it will be the final course before your G.G. exam. It is called Gem ID and that is the course where they send you the stones to ID.

You can find the course number (#28 for the current Gem ID course) on the GIA Virtual Campus website http://www.virtualcampus.gia.edu/ which is also listed under "exam information". You will notice the old courses have 2 numbers (i.e. 28 ) and the revised courses are in the hundred series (230 GM). Even though 240GM Gem ID course is listed - it has not yet been released.