January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: nephrite and its substitutes
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:36 am 
Valued Contributor

it works out that the only time my refractometer goofs up is when im dreaming.. :roll: ,, that is, when im trying to make a one dollar gem into a 100 dollar gem.. ... my mentor said the nephrite i was buying was dirty, i figured it was the wax coating to add luster giving me wierd split readings on this dense green carving....luster,visual, hardness,and density were fine... . when i got home i was reading liddecoat on the matter and found that sauserite has part zoistite, part feldspar with ~ 1.71, and ~1.53 readings,.. ill have to get a second book for my shop.. I might find out if that is what it is when i get out the short wave tommorow.. oh well, i need some sauserite for my collection anyway.. :? gemology is one of those things where you feel like king of the hill one day, and the village idiot the next... dave. (also posted to gem equipment, bad news about the gemeter)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:45 pm 
Valued Contributor

Hi Dave -

This site has what appear to be nice samples of the various forms of jade, as well as saussurite. I was thinking of investing in a few just to keep as "pocket pieces" to remind me not to settle for less when shopping - there's certainly a lot of spotty, snotty-looking nephrite out there...

http://www.tanca.com/katalog/tumbled_S.html

Staying tuned,
Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:20 pm 
Gemology Online Royal Princess

Umm . . . "snotty-looking"?? I can't seem to find that description in the GIA Lab Manual! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:23 pm 
Well, GIA is in the process of re-writing the Gem ID course - so maybe it will be added to the new material! I think it's quite an apt description. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:09 pm 
Valued Contributor

a local term here for cheap diamonds sold at the box stores is frozen spit,,, i think the terms that put accurate visuals in the mind are a great learning tool.. dave..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:50 pm 
Platinum Member

LOL dave, perhap's we should be in the diamond's forum,but, your comment's reminded me of the first time I heard the word spit as a description for low quality, highly included diamond's. I believe it was Anatase that used the word spit when describing them and it was the first time I had heard that description.

Before I had seriously studied gemology, I remember taking a diamond ring into a local jeweler to get his opinion on the piece. It was a nicely designed ring (one I would love to own with quality diamond's) and his reaction was "Cute design, diamond's look like rock salt".

Spit, rock salt, they both are pretty close in describing the quality of diamond's that show up in mass marketed jewelry item's. Although the item I spoke of looked more to be of a designer with imaginable potential, his/her, gemstone inventory budget was lacking at the time of production.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:01 am 

excuse me, but i have the copyright on keemoog (snot in thai). ha!
frozen spit and rock salt, classics.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:21 am 
keemoog99 wrote:
excuse me, but i have the copyright on keemoog (snot in thai). ha!

LOL keemoog99! You were the first person I thought of when I read the description "snotty-looking"! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:00 pm 
Gemology Online Royal Princess

These are all great desciptions! I'd not heard of any of them :lol: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:47 pm 
Valued Contributor

Snizzy wrote:
Well, GIA is in the process of re-writing the Gem ID course - so maybe it will be added to the new material! I think it's quite an apt description. :lol:

rewritting? :shock: I hope not, they just did ! I paid to get the updated course as I had not finished my GG yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:28 pm 
Gold Member

When did you get your course materials Daniel?

I just finished my G.G. and I asked my instructor in October when the new Gem ID course would be rolled out and she told me that was the million dollar question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:43 am 
Valued Contributor

Moderator wrote:
When did you get your course materials Daniel?

I just finished my G.G. and I asked my instructor in October when the new Gem ID course would be rolled out and she told me that was the million dollar question.

I originally started back in 03, but the new course came out in o5, and I paid the 265 dollars to get the updated course. I had already finished my diamonds by then. The best part was that that $265 extended my finish date. And with having to have some spinal surgery and then going through a divorce, the extra time was a godsend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:48 am 
Valued Contributor

Is this what your looking for? Or am I just not reading right as its about 2 am.

Sauserite, in the GIA Gem Reference Guide. 205-206

Ri 1.70 and 1.56

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:57 am 
Valued Contributor

Ok, I just looked in Liddicoats , Handbook of Gem Identification, and on page 248 it says, Just what Dave said it says. Go figure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:01 am 
Valued Contributor

Morning Dove wrote:
Umm . . . "snotty-looking"?? I can't seem to find that description in the GIA Lab Manual! :lol:

Morning Dove, I myself have found a lot of stones not listed in the lab manual. I think that is more for the stones GIA commonly uses in its lab classes. The Gem Reference Guide, which they gave out in the pre 2005 GG course. Then again , they also gave out the cool Wheel of Color * echo*"color-color-color-"
Those plastic pop sickles you can use to judge color. The new course, Nada. All paper and no plastic. Since I have both, I got the good stuff ,and the updated info.
:mrgreen: