January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: GEORGIAN RING???
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:13 pm 

Hi Everybody,

Hope ALL ARE DOING WELL!!! After this strange period of time, I resume my passion and my contact with everyone again.

I would like to know your opinion about this ring, what do you think about the emerald 10.75X7.30mm, cut down collet-set in yellow gold closed backed mount. Could be an Iberian Georgian Ring???An example of three stone ring. Amazing piece.
Thanks and Happy to be in the forum again !!!

Attachments:
IMG-20200429-WA0009.jpg
IMG-20200429-WA0009.jpg [ 145.76 KiB | Viewed 16286 times ]
20211009_211533.jpg
20211009_211533.jpg [ 647.78 KiB | Viewed 16286 times ]
20201010_210639.jpg
20201010_210639.jpg [ 1.93 MiB | Viewed 16286 times ]
 Post subject: Re: GEORGIAN RING???
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:28 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome back! We missed you. :)

I presume there is no stamping or hallmarking on the piece.
What is the fineness of the gold?
What are the stones on the sides?
Method of manufacture?
Closed back, could the stones be foil-backed?
Why Iberian?

The construction of the ring is very crude.
I would expect considerably more finesse from 18th century Iberian metal smiths. Iberian metal work coupled with their vast, established trade routes is legendary.
https://www.lillicoco.com/blogs/love-li ... -jewellery
Example of Iberian emerald earrings, circa 1790 . The emeralds in the earrings below were likely sourced in Colombia and Peru.

Image courtesy of Bell & Bird

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:13 am 

Dear Barbra!!!

As always it´s a pleasure to hear from You, your Help and feedbacks.
You´re right there is no stamps or hallmarking on the piece.

The fineness of the gold is 18K on the shank, a tapered fluted shank with ornate embracing snakes pierced shoulders. Later addition it has an old resizing mark to the hoop in 18K Gold

The stones on the sides I presume are chrysoberyl, but could be peridot as well (not so common), as the stones are not too big and are back-foiled is difficult to me to be accurate.
When I mean close-back, yes I want to say foiled-backed. Sorry for my poor English!
I attach some links with examples of rings with the same characteristics and appearance.
https://www.bentley-skinner.co.uk/londo ... ster-ring/
https://www.antiquejewellerycompany.com ... ster-ring/
https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/rings/c ... j_3355373/ (I disagree that this ring is Victorian)
I agree with you that the construction is crude, but these above examples like to me crude too.

Why I think it could be an Iberian ring? It is just a guess. The design preference for dramatic, ‘tall’ mounts seems to be a regional feature of 18th century rings made in southern Europe (Spain, Portugal), the use of emeralds always present due to Colombia, ...
I attach some more photos in case they could be of help. Thank you and very happy to be in touch again
Best Regards!!!

Attachments:
20210906_200233.jpg
20210906_200233.jpg [ 1 MiB | Viewed 16240 times ]
20210906_195558.jpg
20210906_195558.jpg [ 1.57 MiB | Viewed 16240 times ]
20210908_185931.jpg
20210908_185931.jpg [ 1.73 MiB | Viewed 16240 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:08 pm 
Site Admin

A case can tangentially be made on the piece being Spanish/Portugese/Iberian, based on the age of the cutting style of the diamonds coupled with the Spanish being the most active traders of South American goods in the 16th through 18th century.
But the trade of these items did not stop when they were brought back to the Iberian Peninsula.

Therefore, who had an indirect access to Brazilian or Colombian gemstones in the 1700s?

Spain controlled a large portion of Northern Africa at that time as did France, Britain and even the Ottoman empire.

So, who made this famous emerald ring?

Still thinking. :?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:55 am 
Site Admin

Tell me about the ring shank, Anabell. Is it fabricated? Looks like some porosity on the inside of the shank. But I could be mistaken.
The diamond settings, gold or silver? Some pics look gold, some silver. Are there any stones left in the outer settings?
Any 3 phase inclusions in the emeralds?
Know anyone with a raman to test those side stones?

After spending the day researching Georgian jewelry from the Iberian Peninsula, Russia, England, Italy, France, the Netherlands and the US, I agree it certainly has all the characteristics of a Georgian piece, that was worn a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:14 am 

Dear Barbra!
You cannot imagine how grateful I am to your Time and Dedication. Before bothering you and asking you, I have tried to do my homework
For me any doubt, the shank is hand made. Two snakes hugging each other in the shank.
A later gold hoop was added to reinforce the weakness and breakage of the original shank and to be able to adjust and resize it (some glue was added too!! Horrible!!!).
Regarding the size this ring belonged to a male, at the same time the emerald size was not common at the time in these kind of rings approx. 3 carats, a pretty big size stone for the time. That´s why I presume could be an Iberian Georgian Ring (despite I found the ring in Spain). something really curious today it´s that the only color gem valued for the Spanish ladies nowadays are the Emeralds (History Inherence???)
Not in my case. I'm passionate about Burmese rubies.
Diamonds are all silver setting, and you find diamonds in the outer settings, with 10X magnification for me rose-cut diamonds.
Now and for circumstances I am living in Oviedo (North Spain, small city), I don´t know anybody who has a Raman. Sides stones, could be crystals back foiled, chrysoberyl's or peridots.
The Emerald has 3 phase inclusions.
I´ll try to attach some more pics.
Warms Regards,
Anabell

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:09 pm 
Site Admin

I actually think you nailed it in your original speculation. I do not see many Iberian pieces, let me clarify, I don't see Iberian pieces which is why I was out of my comfort zone with identification of the piece.
The Georgian (time period) pieces I encounter are English or French and occasionally Russian.
Thank you for sharing all you have on this piece because it has been really informative, and I would welcome any additional information you get on the ring.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:52 am 
Georgian style jewelry is the oldest jewelry that can be found today.
The jewelry pieces from this time period started the style that can be seen in jewelry that was produced for many years to come.
Georgian rings date as far back as the 1700's and 1800's, and they are very difficult to find today-- because many of the Georgian rings were melted down over the years. The people considered the metal and stones to be more valuable than the ring as a whole. So, the jewelry pieces were pulled apart, melted down and re-designed to match the newest styles.
Most of the Georgian jewelry used silver, gold was not very popular. The designers of the time believed that the white color of the silver accentuated the diamonds that were used in the setting. Most of the rings used diamonds as the main stone, so silver was very predominant.
One unique type of Georgian jewelry were pieces that could come apart to form different pieces. Many people didn't have many jewelry options, so they liked the abi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:52 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Kelly. Welcome to the forum.
Some great insights in your post.

Georgian jewelry may be viewed as the oldest jewelry which is readily available for sale in shops but it is not the oldest found nor available for purchase.

Massive hoards of jewels. coins, silver and weaponry have been found throughout the UK over the decades (as recently as 2014-2020); some dating back to Roman times and earlier.

Some pics are located on this pinterest page. Not all the pictures on the page are authentic, but many are.

There are strict regulations in most parts of the world as to what one can do if they discover a hoard of valuable pieces. Museums are given the right to purchase them for actual value which is then paid to the finder(s).

Silver was used for diamond setting in Georgian jewels because it was the only white metal which could be fashioned in early days. Platinum could not be melted until the early 1900's and white gold wasn't patented until 1915.

Yellow gold was always the preferred metal for the wealthy consumer.

If you are interested in some broader research, may I recommend the writings and research of Jack Ogden

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:00 pm 

What a weird post, out of nowhere and ending in the middle of a sentence. I wonder if the idea is to edit links into the body or their signature later on (not as easy to accomplish as it appears at first glance here).
edit: google suppresses the source because it's some SEO-gaming stuff, but this is exactly 1000 characters stolen from a website.
A fairly well targeted spambot.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 12:15 pm 

Hi,
My apologies for the delay to communicate back to the forum, but due to personal circumstances I appear and disappear.
The gems on the side of the emerald on both sides are green tourmalines, in two months I will go to London and certify the piece. Thank you as alwaysand best wishes to all,

Anabell

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 12:56 pm 
Gold Member

Anabell wrote:
Hi,
My apologies for the delay to communicate back to the forum, but due to personal circumstances I appear and disappear.
The gems on the side of the emerald on both sides are green tourmalines, in two months I will go to London and certify the piece. Thank you as alwaysand best wishes to all,

Anabell

Like a true Genie, I wonder. :?

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 1:16 pm 

Not exactly. Hopefully, I would like to!!!! :) :!:

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 12:01 pm 
Site Admin

Where are you bringing it in London?
Share the results with us, please.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 12:39 pm 

Hi Barbra!!! Hope you are doing well.
I am thinking in The Gem & Pearl Lab, the only thing it´s that it´s a bit complicate as I will be only for four days in London and the opening times are a bit few reduced.
I have also heard in the recent years about Gemmological Certification Services GCS, but I had a strange experience with an emerald 5 years ago.
Thanks and Best regards,

Anabell