January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Help!!! Is this a GROSS ET LANGOULANT Ring?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:22 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Hello, I am looking for assistance in getting finding out the correct manufacturer of my ring. I have found reference to only one other that looks similar to my ring. The similar ring was sold in the UK , stating that the ring was manufactured by GROSS ET LANGOULANT. In France C.1900. That particular ring has tiny differences . Their ring looked like it was resized , the dragon images are not as complete as the dragons on my ring. etc. Could the ring be made by the same manufacturer? Or is mine a copy? or theirs a copy? I am really confused. I can't find any information on this maker. The only thing I could find out was that they were located in Paris France.
The very first pic I have posted is of the "similar" ring. All following pictures are of my ring. My ring is stamped with the eagles head and another diamond stamp that I can't quite figure out what is inside. Hallmarks are on the outside of the band. As well as a possible catologue reference # of 7327?
I have taken the ring to the jewelry stores in my area, but they could not appraise or give me any information on the ring. Nobody in my area appraises antique jewelry.
I am required by my insurance company to have some info to add it to the policy. I really don't know what to value it at for insurance purposes. I am stuck . Please if anyone has any information to provide it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time.

Post subject: Re: Help!!! Is this a GROSS ET LANGOULANT Ring?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:23 pm 
Site Admin

I moved this post. It is definitely NOT a forum announcement.

The ring appears to be 2 tone.
The diamonds are set in white metal.
I would expect the eagles head to be accompanied with a dog's head to identify the white metal as platinum....and it's not there. Are the diamonds set in white gold? Silver?
Have you tested it?
Have you verified the yellow gold as 18k?

Cutting Style of the diamonds?
Identity of colored stone cab?

The marks look like:
Quite right with the eagles head. Is it in a contoured frame? Appears so.
The lozenge shape probably contains 2 letters with a central symbol, indicating the maker's or sponsor's mark.

Gross, Langoulant & Cie, 79 Rue du Temple, Paris, 1884 - 1907; Have you been able to find any documentation on their maker's mark? I'll see what I can find out.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:41 pm 

One jeweler told me the diamonds were real, mine cut, the body of the ring was 18kt gold. He did not mention anything about the " white gold" . I persumed it to be white gold also, with the lack of an additional hallmark. The colored stone is turquoise. The makers mark I just can't pick out what it suppose to be? so for me that is a dead end. My only lead in 2 years of searching on the internet has been the similar ring I found reference to being sold in the UK. I have not found any other information. I have searched GROSS ET LANGOULANT, and could not find a picture of their makers mark. there is not much information to be had about them at all. I am quite surprised. Are they a popular jewelry maker of their time?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:55 pm 
Site Admin

I found Gross, Langoulant & Cie maker's mark:

It features a coach whip.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:45 pm 

I have viewed the makers mark on my ring, but is it just too unclear. The impression in the gold is deep and shadowed. The eagles head is also a deep impression, not framed. I am unsure of what it is or if it is like the makers mark you have shown. The mark on my ring showns a design throughout the diamond shape. The makers mark posted is it only half an impression? Or is half of the design missing? If half is missing, this possibly could be the mark. The coach whip could cross the diamond from tip to tip. If there were letters on the mark I just can't pic them out. All that is left has the balance of a shamrock , with a rounded base of the stem part. I can't pic out any letters. they are blended together.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:00 pm 
Site Admin

That is the whole mark per Art Nouveau Jewelry by Vivienne Becker.
I would be interested in getting a positive identification on the white metal.
Why?
Gross, Langoulant & Cie was in business 1884 until 1907.
White gold wasn't patented until 1915.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:44 pm 

I really will have to find someone in my area to have a look at the ring. There is no mark for platinum, but it is a possibility. The metal surrounding the diamonds does not have any hint of yellow. With the age of the ring some yellowing should be present by now. I am more confused than ever. Are you familar with gross et langoulant jewelry? Is it a possibility that they made it?
I would love to find an old catalog of theirs to see if the reference number stamped on the band would match the ring. I know they did use 4 digit numbers in their catalog. Any advice on what else to check? You have been so very helpful to date.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:10 am 
Valued Contributor

Hi,

In France, the eagle's head is used for 18 ct gold and the shamrock for 9 ct gold http://www.poinconor.com/wp-content/upl ... France.png but the gold marks are not surrounded by a losange... So the mystery remains... :wink:

Best regards,
Christel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:19 pm 
Site Admin

skivversnfld wrote:
I really will have to find someone in my area to have a look at the ring. There is no mark for platinum, but it is a possibility. The metal surrounding the diamonds does not have any hint of yellow. With the age of the ring some yellowing should be present by now. I am more confused than ever. Are you familar with gross et langoulant jewelry? Is it a possibility that they made it?
I would love to find an old catalog of theirs to see if the reference number stamped on the band would match the ring. I know they did use 4 digit numbers in their catalog. Any advice on what else to check? You have been so very helpful to date.

Yes, it is possible.....the company was known for the manufacture of chains, but they also produced some Art Nouveau inspired pieces. Do you have a microscope to check that mark?
Also, a metal testing acid kit is not very expensive; you could just buy one. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:21 pm 

Christel wrote:
Hi,

In France, the eagle's head is used for 18 ct gold and the shamrock for 9 ct gold http://www.poinconor.com/wp-content/upl ... France.png but the gold marks are not surrounded by a losange... So the mystery remains... :wink:

Best regards,
Christel

Yes christel the mystery remains. Over the years this is the only piece of jewelry that has me stumped. But having said that, this is the most information i have gathered about it in a long time. I feel very positive about it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:51 am 

Well, so far the appraisal tip I received is a dead end. If the person was in business , they no longer are. I could not find a phone number listing. ...
So I have now ordered a gold testing kit. It should take about 3 to 4 weeks to arrive to my area. As soon as I find out the results I will post them. Thank you

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:28 pm 
Site Admin

Looking forward to hearing back. :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:12 pm 

Well gold /diamond testing kit arrived today. So excited. Tested the ring, stones tested positive as diamonds. (unsure how accurate this tester is, but none the less tested positive). Tested the gold, positive for 18kt. Tested the white gold areas surrounding the diamonds. Tested positive for Platinum.
I have found references to other pieces of Gross et Langoulant's works. Two of them at the British Muesum. So I know now that they did produce Belle Epoque pieces of jewelry. I would love to be finally able to verify whether or not the ring was made by them or another maker. Closure would really be nice :)