January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Metal discoloration on a Tiffany ring
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:16 pm 

Hi All:

First let me apologize for the horrendous image. I had to take it with my cellphone, and it's totally out of focus. No macro setting. However, it actually does show the issue I am concerned with, so here goes.

It is allegedly a Tiffany ring, marked "Tiffany & Co, 750, Israel." Not a half band, but more like a quarter band, set with shared settings, 4 rubies and 3 diamonds. The strange part, right now, is what is happening with the metal. Most of the shank is yellow gold, but as you get up near the gallery, it gets -- well, splotchy, for want of a better word. The underside of the area where the stones are set is absolutely white. But the area around the prongs, and the prongs themselves, are part gold, part silver colored (or white gold). Furthermore, the shoulder of the ring has sort of a channel, extending from the edge of the stones around the shoulder of the shank. This channel, or groove, is also largely the silver color. The part of the gallery holding the stones (not the prongs) is silver colored. But as I said, on parts of the shoulder, on the prongs themselves, clearly splotchy. You might think it was gold plate, starting to wear, but I don't see any sort of "edge" under the microscope. It looks more like it's in the metal itself, if that makes any sense. Hopefully you can see a bit of what I mean in the terrible photo.

So -- any input on what this is, I'd really appreciate! And second, thoughts on how I can clean it up, also appreciated!

Thank you,

Neil

Post subject: Re: Metal discoloration on a Tiffany ring
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:35 am 
Site Admin

Tiffany & Co, 750, Israel

Now, that is something I have never seen.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:28 am 

Hmm...

So does that make you think it is probably not Tiffany?

This piece came in a major jewelry sale from Leslie Hindman auctions in Chicago, which is a reputable auction house.

I imagine I can return it if it's not Tiffany, since that is how it was described in the auction catalog.

Thanks,

Neil

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:34 am 
Site Admin

Contact Tiffany and ask if they ever did manufacturing in Israel.
I've seen Tiffany & Co. Italy.

From 1978-1984 Tiffany was owned by Avon. The quality of their goods got quite commercial.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:42 am 

Interesting about their ownership by Avon. I did not know that I have reached out to a contact at Tiffany, and hopefully will get a response. I'll update the story as it goes, for whoever may be interested.

Thanks

Neil

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:56 pm 

An interim update on the manufacturer's mark -- I've done an internet search and actually came up with 3 or 4 identical expressions of the hallmark (Tiffany & Co., 750, Israel), although in one case it was just T & Co, Israel, 750. The interesting thing is that the items, all sold as vintage Tiffany, were completely unrelated. A gold necklace with pendant; an onyx and pearl necklace; pearl-set gold earrings; 18kt gold ring with faceted peridot as the main stone. No apparent connection between the sellers, either. So unless there is a fairly-widespread operation creating fake Tiffany, all using this maker's mark, it looks like these pieces may well be genuine. In at least one case, the seller has provided a dating clue. The gold necklace with pendant, stamped Israel etc, is described by the seller as also appearing in the summer, 1997 Tiffany catalog. Interesting.

So I'm waiting to hear back from my contact, because apart from these pieces I located, I have found nothing online about T & Co production facilities in Israel, now or in the past. So still working that angle for final confirmation.

In the meantime, assuming the piece that is the subject of this topic is actually genuine -- does anyone have any insight on how the metal might end up splotchy like that?

Thanks All!

Neil