January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: French Maker's Mark
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:10 am 

Isi,

Thank you for all that information, and for the list of "differents." (It downloaded fine). I would think that if a forger was making a fraudulent eagle head, they would probably not be so sophisticated as to include a "different" symbol on the face of the eagle -- or am I wrong? So at this point I am thinking it is probably just a modern ring, made after 1984. It has been a very educational thread!

Thanks, Neil

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:30 am 
Gold Member

The hallmarks that are used fraudulently are the real ones. They just travel ! (while formerly there was a very small number of them who just didn't leave the assay offices' safes).
Nowadays when I see a modern jewel wearing the eagle's head, I try it by myself on a touch stone.
Just to make sure that it is actually 18ct, because otherwise I don't really care where it was made, if I like it !

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:37 am 

That's fascinating. So were they stolen from assay offices?

I was at a seminar recently with the folks from Hallmark Research Institute, and they told us that there is at least one set of real Faberge punches in the hands of the bad guys.

It's just like with them gemstones themselves -- trying to stay one step ahead of the crooks! (or perhaps one step behind).

Neil

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:05 am 
Gold Member

No. They are not stolen from the assay offices.
Each maker who wants it now can own its own alloy hallmarks, handed down by the assay office on which he depends geographically.
He applies the hallmark instead of the office, in his own workshop.
What he does with his hallmarks is supposed to be controlled but...
So basically you have hundredths of eagle's heads everywhere, in each workshop, each merchant dealing with precious metal.
The hallmarks used to be in statal public offices only. Now they are just everywhere.
So they can be stolen, lost, lent, sold... Anything you can imagine.
Or, the eagle's head can very well be applied on a lower alloy than 18 ct. It happens often.
This reform was made for public cost-cutting, to lessen the number of civil servants, but the consequences were highly predictable I should say.
So many people in the world still trust the eagle's head for what it has been ; that makes it a very desirable item.

Last edited by Isi on Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:13 am 

Fascinating. This has been so helpful. I have learned much on this thread!

Thanks,

Neil

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:57 am 
Gold Member

As for the hallmarks being on the outside part of the shank, while browsing my documentation I have in fact ascertained that it is mandatory. I have a document showing where both hallmarks (alloy and maker) should be applied for each type of jewel.

There are many, many subtleties in these complex regulations. For instance, if the eagle's head is perpendicular to the direction of the shank, it doesn't mean quite the same thing than if the head goes along the shank.

And now with the hallmarks of 27 more european countries being allowed to circulate without being re-stamped eveybody gets lost ! #-o

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:13 am 

Thanks Isi. Complex indeed. I don't think I am even going to venture into the meaning of the exact placement of the eagle head on my ring. (It's parallel). If my ring showed the counterstrike, on the opposite side of the shank from the hallmark, as mentioned in the HRI book, then it would be worth pursuing. But this ring clearly looks like it is post-1984, based on the lack of counterstrike.