January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: problem with ring from estate sale
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:27 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Hello, all. Long time lurker, first time poster. Anyway, I'm a single mother of two, a housewife on a budget, and I love deals. So imagine my surprise when I found the most gorgeous ring at an estate sale (online)--delicate gold band and decent .25ct ruby for about 1500 bucks. I was thrilled. Now, I normally avoid buying used jewelry (jewelry is one of those things to which people form strong attachments and I'm always wary of items that could potentially collect strong negative energies). I wish I had taken my own advice because, and I swear to God that I'm telling you the truth, I think the ring is cursed.

I know it sounds improbable but you know how strong the energies associated with minerals are. I'm not saying that I think someone hexed the ring or anything, just that there is a lot of negativity and pain attached to the stone. So far I've experienced the following since I bought this ring just a month ago:

1. Dog got sick and had to be taken to the vet. When they took his X-ray, they found that he'd swallowed the ring. Had to wait 24 hours before I got the ring back (took forever to clean). My son thought it was funny--he's always hated the dog for some reason.
2. I keep finding the ring in places I didn't leave it. I am starting to wonder about my sanity. Last night I found it in my coffee pot. Before that, it turned up in a planter.
3. After I dropped the ring accidentally, the next afternoon my son was sent home and suspended for stealing. He's usually such a good kid--I don't know what has gotten into him, he's been acting out since I told him he couldn't touch the ring.

There's more but you get the idea. I don't know what to do. Would it be irresponsible to resell it? I already tried a cleansing ritual with some burnt sage but it didn't help. I'm worried that if I pass the ring on to somebody else, they'll have problems, but I have to think of my kids' safety. What would you do?

Post subject: Re: problem with ring from estate sale
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:28 pm 
Valued Contributor

Personaly, I think someone is playing a practical joke on you.

I also think that you will not get a lot of responses on this topic.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:31 pm 
Site Admin

........I feel bad for the dog. Perhaps you should find the dog a new loving home.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:43 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

It's common practice for some people to smudge areas and/or objects with sage and sweetgrass to remove negative energies. You could try that.

Edit: Sorry, I skipped over the part where you already tried smudge. I got nuthin. If you feel that strongly about it, then by all means resell it, there are plenty of people that don't believe in cursed rings.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:42 pm 

xXxstarsapphirexXx wrote:
you know how strong the energies associated with minerals are.

I sleep on a big pile of stones every night. I'm not kidding, I store a lot of stuff under my bed. I carry minerals in my pockets all day. My office is filled with rocks. I love gems and minerals and am constantly surrounded with them, often studying them and usually thinking of them. I am a graduate student in geology, a rockhound by hobby and I have a small jewelry business on the side.
So I am being very sincere when I say, no, I do not know how strong the 'energies associated with minerals are.'

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:43 pm 
Gold Member

Wow. Would you mind posting a picture ? I have always dreamt to see what a bewitched ring looks like !
BTW I don't feel 1500 is such a bargain for a second hand .25 ct ruby ring. Maybe this was the very first spell, not to realize it...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:51 pm 
Gold Member

Donate it to a worthy charity. That should remove the bad vibes.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:00 am 
Gemology Online Royal Princess

I'm not superstitious, so please feel free to send it on to me 8) :lol: .

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:40 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Facetnator wrote:
Personaly, I think someone is playing a practical joke on you.

I also think that you will not get a lot of responses on this topic.

I don't think negative energies are ever a joking matter. It's very dangerous to tempt forces one doesn't entirely understand, don't you think? Besides, the only people who have been in my house are my husband and the kids, and they know better than to mess around with this stuff. Once my son brought home a stack of old magazines he'd gotten from one of his "friends", and I had to spend a week tracking down every single one and dusting salt over my home's surfaces to bring the vibes back to normal. Dirty clothes and laundry are notorious for trapping negative vibes, so can you imagine what jewelry could carry?

I'm never buying a second-hand stone again. I ended up burying the ring in the back yard, although it took me forever to pry it off my finger. I think I might have overdone it with the salting...my fingers have swollen up something awful. I'm not reselling or giving it away. I was too worried about passing on something terrible, and after I tripped over my son's shoe he left lying around and sprained my ankle, I knew I'd just have to bite the bullet and accept this as a very expensive lesson.

I'm going to go buy some potted plants. If they cant absorb whatever that stupid ring left behind, I'm going to have to call a professional. Anyone else thinking of buying used, please be careful.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:52 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

I think you picked the wrong website to discuss this topic.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:13 pm 
Site Admin

I find "negative energies" to be associated with people, not objects.

And you are right, we don't understand why certain individuals seem to be eternally plagued by a dark cloud drawing unpropitious energies to them, while others have the opposite fate in life.

Speaking as someone who has dealt in the buying and selling of antique and estate jewelry and objet d'art for decades, I always discourage folks from buying items when they start bringing up concerns about cursed pieces and negative energies.

We want our patrons to find inspiration and charm in the beauty and fashion of vanished times. They bring positive energy to the jewels and in turn to themselves.

A simple reverence and appreciation for all things rare and beautiful, will certainly bring joy and enchantment to the appropriate emptor for antique and estate items.

And frankly, seeking to find beauty in everything around us makes life generally more pleasant, no?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:35 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Brilliant, Barbra, very well said.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:37 pm 
Gold Member

Please give us the address of your back yard !

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:05 am 
Gold Member

Hmmm... thou shall throw the ring into Mt. Doom... Image