January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Help With Pearl Necklace Please
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:32 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

I just bought this 3 strand "pearl" necklace for $30AUD and I am no pearl expert. They are stunning even if they do end up being fake although they do need a good clean but I do not want to clean them until I know if they are real or fake. Also hoping I someone might be able to tell me the period these may have been made around please.

I did a little bit of google searching to see if I could identify myself if they are real or fake but I am still unsure as from everything I have read the fakes can look and feel quite genuine. They are cold to touch and do have a decent weight to them, when I do rub two lightly together they do produce a fine powder and they are gritty against my teeth.

I have tried to capture pics as best as I can. The clasp has a mark on the back "STERLING GERMANY" and appears to have marcasites on the front. Shortest strand is approximately 45cm long and have shown size of the graduated "pearls" in pics.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments:
IMG_0031 (2).JPG
IMG_0031 (2).JPG [ 1.01 MiB | Viewed 2866 times ]
IMG_0030 (2).JPG
IMG_0030 (2).JPG [ 1.05 MiB | Viewed 2866 times ]
IMG_0020 (2).JPG
IMG_0020 (2).JPG [ 637.4 KiB | Viewed 2866 times ]
IMG_0021 (2).JPG
IMG_0021 (2).JPG [ 832.33 KiB | Viewed 2866 times ]
IMG_0011.JPG
IMG_0011.JPG [ 2.91 MiB | Viewed 2866 times ]
 Post subject: Re: Help With Pearl Necklace Please
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:12 pm 
Site Admin

Very cool and timelessly posh!

The individual pearls have a waffled texture which I have never seen on imitation pearls.
The gritty feel on the teeth could only be replicated with imitation "shell" pearls.
Shell pearls are typically much larger in size to replicate South Sea Pearls.
Not too much information with the silver/pyrite (aka misnomer marcasite) clasp with the exception that they were strung with French wire and properly knotted off at 3 pearls down.

Normally, cultured pearls would be strung on silk with knots in between every pearl to avoid abrasion where they rub against each other. These are not, but there are several reasons why they may not be. Sheer laziness or intentionally wanting them to hang freely are both possibilities.

In my opinion they are cultured pearls (highly probable Chinese freshwater) and they can be cleaned with a little diluted dish soap and an old toothbrush.

And the price? $30? You could not get them restrung for $30!
Well done.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:57 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Barbra Voltaire, FGG wrote:
Very cool and timelessly posh!
Normally, cultured pearls would be strung on silk with knots in between every pearl to avoid abrasion where they rub against each other. These are not, ...

Hi Barbra ,

If you enlarge the 4th picture , you can see the knots
Right now, in French auction sales, of which I am looking at online catalogs, pearls are unusually cheap.

* Note that in popular traditions, we do not wear pearls from someone which we do not know the quality of vibrational energies that crossed its existence.
I am talking about traditions based on superstitions ... which would explain the very low appraisals ,low profits and also the large number of necklaces available in a single sale.I'm talking about local and regular sales, not Bonhams Sotheby's and Christie's

"I always believed in being myself"- Thelonious Monk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:52 pm 
Site Admin

The only knots I see are around the clasp to tie off the french wire 2-3 pearls in.

Quote:

Hi Barbra ,

* Note that in popular traditions, we do not wear pearls from someone which we do not know the quality of vibrational energies that crossed its existence.
I am talking about traditions based on superstitions ... which would explain the very low appraisals ,low profits and also the large number of necklaces available in a single sale.I'm talking about local and regular sales, not Bonhams Sotheby's and Christie's

I don't believe this has caused any noteable reduction in sales in the US or abroad. One could claim potential "vibrational issues" with any piece of previously owned jewelry, no? Actually, previously owned anything.....

Back to pearls:

Yes, the prices of pearls have declined substantially, but to recap, I believe that is because of the ability of freshwater Chinese pearls to resemble Akoyas and South Sea at a fraction of the price.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:41 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Barbra Voltaire, FGG wrote:
I don't believe this has caused any noteable reduction in sales in the US or abroad. One could claim potential "vibrational issues" with any piece of previously owned jewelry, no? Actually, previously owned anything.....

You are right ! My remarks and assumptions were not very scientific to have their place in a forum such as this one and I am sorry for that.

On the other hand, by enlarging the 4th image, I see knots on the first pearls. I'm going to go see my ophthalmologist ...

"I always believed in being myself"- Thelonious Monk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:04 pm 
Site Admin

LOL.....the blind leading the blind here.
I actually had a client yesterday for an appraisal who was a medical professional originally from India. She had many inherited and previously owned pieces of traditional Kundan jewelry.
We were talking about many things and I mentioned how some believe there is an "energy" associated with certain jewels which can be negative.
I fully expected her to totally rebuke these superstitions having a strong scientific background.

I was wrong.
So I stand corrected, Danielle.