Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:41 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

rock lobstah wrote:
I was surprised, the rug actually looks...good!

I thought exactly the same thing...I wonder how much that thing weighs too. It seems like it would be way too heavy to hang on a wall, and yet, unless you wanted to constantly massage your acupressure points on the bottom of your feet a lot, it wouldn't be appropriate on a floor either... :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:34 am 
Valued Contributor

a dealer showed me a CD with video of this carpet.asking price was ceazy,i guess a couple of my forthcoming generations wud have saved hell lot of money to pay for the carpet.may be middlemen involved added their margins to the actual price and when actual asking price is in millions,no wonder the end asking price after adding margins of all the middelmen,it reaches 1 billion dollars.
no irony that this carpet deal spent few years in india,nobody had money to invest and it finally auctioned at a very low price compared to its asking price here.
carpet is indeed very nice.if the buyer start sellling pearls and other gemstones individually,this carpet can sure spin out billion dollars for its buyer.
his next few generations can keep selling the stuff on demand,and we may see the buyer becomning a top dealer in future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:47 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

very nice piece of art.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:38 am 
Gemology Online Übergoddess

8) beautiful indeed!! lots of history behind it too!! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:16 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Thank you for sharing Karim!

Magnificent as the rest of the Maharaja of Baroda jewelry collection.

The quantity of pearls and gems is impressive but not as much as the labor and time involved to assemble and actually make the carpet.
That alone blows my mind!

A double strand of natural pearls from that collection was sold by Christie's NY April 25, 2007. Also very impressive!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:49 pm 
Established Member

during the raj when the gaekwad of baroda was india's wealthiest man it took his maharani all morning to be dressed. she was so heaped with earrings, finger rings, toe rings, bracelets, belts etc. made of pure gold that she required the constant service of two maids - one at each elbow - to help her remain upright, never mind walk.

Post subject: Re: Pearl Carpet of Baroda
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:47 am 
Good thing I stumbled upon this post. We have made a jewel carpet inspired by the The Pearl Carpet of Baroda. We are probably gonna auction it as well. Please look at the website for further details. Any queries or comments are welcome.

http://jaipurjewelcarpet.com/profile.html

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:14 am 
Valued Contributor

Hi
Your gem carpet is something! All the interesting information got me thinking about the Taj Mahal and the inlay with gemstones in the white marble

Here is a link to the Taj Mahal. There is lots of interesting information and pictures of the inlay etc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taj_Mahal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:33 am 
Thank you David,
Yea it was much of hard work for acquiring all the stones, designing and manufacturing and my uncle's vision.
Taj Mahal... I am so unfortunate that I haven't visited the Taj Mahal yet, though it is just about 250kms away #-o It is truly a masterpiece, the stories associated with it are very intriguing as well. Waiting for you to come to Jaipur... you fancy a visit again ? :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:09 am 
Valued Contributor

Hi
The Moghal rulers of northern India,were also very much into Pearls.and also Jai Singh, the founder of Jaipur.

Here is a portrait of Mumtaz Mahal of Taj Mahal fame, much adorned in pearls.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADFA_enGB397GB403&q=images+of+mumtaz+mahal

Pity that in these portraits you can not make out too much detail on the gems and jewellery

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:22 pm 
kashmirsapphire wrote:
a dealer showed me a CD with video of this carpet.asking price was ceazy,i guess a couple of my forthcoming generations wud have saved hell lot of money to pay for the carpet.may be middlemen involved added their margins to the actual price and when actual asking price is in millions,no wonder the end asking price after adding margins of all the middelmen,it reaches 1 billion dollars.
no irony that this carpet deal spent few years in india,nobody had money to invest and it finally auctioned at a very low price compared to its asking price here.
carpet is indeed very nice.if the buyer start sellling pearls and other gemstones individually,this carpet can sure spin out billion dollars for its buyer.
his next few generations can keep selling the stuff on demand,and we may see the buyer becomning a top dealer in future.

Hello Kashmir, I had a talk with my uncle and met Ms. Otsea (Head of Carpet Department at Christie's NY). Both of them told me that the gems in the carpet aren't that worthy. The pearls and diamonds are very small in size, and about 80% of the colored gems are actually glass pieces :| As Ms. Otsea told me, the price realized for the carpet was mostly because of the story which goes with it and it being old :)