January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: North Sri Lanka
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:30 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Hi, I'm a newbie and interested in gem mining, more for the adventure than for profit, I have a very good sri lanken friend who has farming land based in the north east of sri lanka, and yes i do know about the troubles that were there.
The question i am asking is, are gems found in the north, as i cant find any news on mining for that area, only the landmines which have been left by the Tamils.
I have also been to Guyana gold mining and want to return back there ASAP as another friend of mine does mining there and is now looking for diamonds, but the opputunity to go to sri lanka sounds good.
Thanks in advance
Tony D

Post subject: Re: North Sri Lanka
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:45 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

TonyD, why not get a geological survey map of north Sri Lanka?
At least then you will have a bit more information to work with.
Has there been any historical mining in the area?
If not, there is probably nothing much there, as the country has been mined for centuries!
Barry.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:46 pm 

Thanks barry, where would i get one of these maps from ?
i have been trying to find some history of mining in that area on the internet but dont seem to be able to find any info, you may be correct in saying that there has never been mining there, but could be because of the years of civil war there, I am going with my Sri Lanken friend anyway regardless, but was just wondering, he is going over to see his father who farms his own land there and thought it would be fun to just have a go at trying to find some gems while we are there, they also have a river on their land so thought we would have a go in there for some gems, just for fun really, not going over thinking i'm gonna come back with the biggest sapphire in the world, just got the opputunity to go, and would have a bit of an adventure,any info you know of would be helpful though.
Thank you
Tony D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:31 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Tony, a couple of minutes on the internet gives plenty of information, including geological maps of the northern region, showing zero gem deposits.
Buy yourself a bag of blue marbles, throw them into the river at your friends place, then try to find them again!
That little exercise will put things in perspective for you, if you have little, or no experience.
Barry.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:42 pm 

LOL, definately have no experience at all, and i might just buy some marbles and give it a go, gold is different i know a bit about gold and have been to Guyana gold mining and had a wonderful time there, but gems are different and hav'nt got a clue, but would of been fun trying my hand at it, like i said, its for fun, same as when i went to Guyana, but i did find some gold and had an adventure, the amount of gold i found wont change my life though and i never went there with the idea of getting rich quick, i just like the adventure of it and Sri Lanka sounds fun, perhaps my friend and i can get to central Sri lanka and have a go there.
Must admit the more i read about gems the more interesting it gets, but you need the knowledge and i have none of it. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:46 pm 

LOL thanks Barry, will have a look, but i think you know what your doing so will trust your judgement.
Thanks
Tony D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:08 pm 

It's not too hard to pan from a stream or to use a seive to concentrate gravel. You may be more likely to come across some more common stones, but even if you just come back with a handful of agates it will be a fun side trip.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:21 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Hey TonyD, I've just sat with a coffee, and spent 1/2hour googling "gemstones of sri lanka", and found some interesting reading. There are some geological maps to view, and plenty of links to explore.
Your northern gem hunting trip looks a little difficult, with the geology not condusive to what you are hoping for.
Looks like mostly limestone/sedimentary, and part of the ancient, deep Kaveri river basin of S.E India, which has been collecting stuff since the break-up of Gondwanaland.
Still, as Scaro says, who knows what you may see in that river(apart from some blue marbles).
I look forward to you posting shots of the trip, it will be great to see images of that part of the country.
Barry

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:31 pm 

Thanks for the info Barry, will get on the internet and see what i can find, been out today and bought my marbles ready, gonna be funny if i tip all ten of them in and find twelve, that would mean some other newbie has taken your advise LOL, hoping to go in April and dont worry i will post plenty of pics, might even give you a shout if i find to many marbles and need a hand collecting them all hahahaha, think its gonna be an adventure any way and really looking forward to it, seems to be plenty of land mines around left over from the civil war, perhaps i should take a quick bomb disposal course, thanks for your help and advise, hope to speak to you soon.
Tony D.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:03 pm 

Hey I am based in Sri lanka , I wish I had seen thios post earlier.

Are you Still in Sri lanka , may be we can meet up.