Time to catch up on reading, lapidary projects and binge watching TV. Stay home. Stay well.
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: hogg mine july 4th
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:39 pm 
Gemology Online Übergoddess

i checked out rodney moore's website and noticed the mine will be open on the 4th. here's the link where you can read about rodney allowing sellers/dealers to set up at the mine. don't know if y'all have done this or not, but, i just wanted to share it with y'all. unfortunately, i don't think rodney will let you dig if you "set up" shop.

http://www.digforcrystals.com/july4dmc.html

i haven't been out to the mine yet to dig for crystals :cry: well, maybe one day....

Post subject: Re: hogg mine july 4th
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:09 pm 
Gold Member

gingerkid wrote:
i checked out rodney moore's website and noticed the mine will be open on the 4th. here's the link where you can read about rodney allowing sellers/dealers to set up at the mine. don't know if y'all have done this or not, but, i just wanted to share it with y'all. unfortunately, i don't think rodney will let you dig if you "set up" shop.

http://www.digforcrystals.com/july4dmc.html

i haven't been out to the mine yet to dig for crystals :cry: well, maybe one day....

And you live so far away... not. :lol:

If you had been, you probably would have met amethystguy by now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:27 pm 

howdy, gsellis!!

i just thought i would mention it to the forum members about rodney allowing sellers to set up with their goods at the mine site. sounds like a good deal, i think he allowed some dealers to set up at the previous meeting at the mine.

maybe one of these days i'll get out there, hopefully, before rodney decides to move on to other mining projects, and leaves the hogg mine behind. (i wish rodney would have a "discount day," like 2 for 1 price or something, lol, maybe then we could afford to go out there to dig for crystals)

i knew amethystguy has been out there quite a bit, he loves them dang rocks. several of the forum members, like yourself, rawrocks, and finewatergems? have been to the mine?

:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:25 pm 
Gold Member

Rodney does do some club days. MAGMA membership was half price the last time. The Crystal mine appears to be $17 now. So, tomorrow is crystals only and dealer setup at Hogg. Saturday is Hogg with dealers there. Sunday is the Crystal mine again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:50 pm 
Platinum Member

it's $17 this time...I was supposed to go help and try and locate new beryl in the pegmatite tomorrow but I have prior obligations...we know where some good stuff is at too. suz..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:52 pm 

hey amguy, i think you suggested joining MAGMA to me before? is it free? :lol: not meaning to sound "cheap," but honestly, "i'm so broke i can't pay attention..." :wink: or "ain't got no money, ain't got no house on the hill..." (wanna give me the coordinates? to the trapp county hogg mine??? i'm only kidding!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:19 pm 
Platinum Member

Yep..it's free..the whole focus is on digging and mining...the motto is 99% digging..1% talking...The federation clubs charge you fees, have meetings all the time, and only so many fieldtrips. We run the only public emerald mine in the U.S., the crabtree emerald mine, we opened up the Reel Mine after being closed for 10 years, we have first access to JXR when Terry is mining, we have first access after the first machine dig each year at the Clement musuem sites for flourite in kentucky. As a matter of fact there is a brand location here in GA we will be visiting in late august called the chicken farm prospect. Huge facetgrade ametyhst were pulled out of there this last year and we will be the first to get a stab at it. In a couple days is a big fieldtrip to something like 25 mines from conneticut to Maine ending up at Mt. Apatite and Mt. Mica. Sucks I will miss this one. Lots of good stuff...Wncrocks.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:48 pm 

8) i just googled for the magma rock club and found it from a link through some site called "mulleycat rock," love the website name!!

thanks for the info, i will read through the site tomorrow. and yes, like you said, it's free!! i did check out the membership fees for "platinum members," which sounds like a great deal to me!! looks like you get all kinds of goodies as a platinum member.?

by the way, i've never been rockhounding before. hope to go someday/somewhere and give it a shot rockhounding, would definitely need some supervision, heck knows what i'd dig up. i've read that rodney gives some advice before going out to the hogg mine about what to look for, does magma provide instruction as well for new comers???

what in tarnation and where in tarnation is the chicken farm prospect in georgia?? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:51 pm 
Platinum Member

oglethorpe county right east of Athens is chicken farm..it was called sixes prospect but got changed...oh yea you will get more help from Magma folks than you can imagine...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:53 am 
Established Member

I've seen some large rough from the Hogg mine but nothing that I have seen so far is facet grade. Has that mine produced any facet grade material?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:42 am 
Platinum Member

One morning as i was waiting for Don and Rodney to bring the machine i was just sitting on one of the tailings by my lonesome..only takes 5 minutes to get the machine...just scraping the dirt..killing time and out pops my nice little chunk of aquamarine
had dave gronki cut it..before i had my own machine
In sinkankas's artice about the Hogg mine(big beryl) mine he stated that they used to pull out bag fulls of facetable material..something like 50 years ago..i have the article around here some where from an old Lap Journal in the 70's Rodney has found quite a decent amount of facetgrade material..one day when we were mining the backhoe was scraping the top of the core of rose and as we were checking for any beryl we found a large crystal that was chalk full of facetgrade material..nice blue..big crystal..the machine had snapped the crystal in hald..and out there somewhere is the other half of this large gem crystal..i still tell the story..i think me and gsellis had a look for it one day..i had narrowed it down to what tailing but never founbd it..could have gotten all busted up or could have just been a small section of the main crystal..never know but it's still out there..somewhere
here are a few more pics..i have posted these before

Cutter Robert Kyle's excellent blue

This is a sweet piece Rodney spotted when workng the peg lens

and my friend oney's big chunk..it only has small cuttable areas but color was good..i took the photos right as the sun dropped below the trees..color has not been altered in any way..i was actually sitting on this piece for like 20 minutes and when i got up she pulled it out from under me..i tried to claim it as mine but she would have none of it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:39 am 
Gold Member

I have a 3.5mm that I found and cut, then broke as I was mounting it. I also have 2 pieces of greener material sitting on top of my faceting machine that will be in the 3-4mm range.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:51 am 
Platinum Member

if you want to find beryl/aqua you need to tag along with gsellis..that guy is like the terminator..he does then low sweep scan and makes these machine noises :lol: while searching..by god he finds more beryl chunks and chips and crystals than just about any one..of course he doesn't have amdar(ammy radar) that is exclusive to me and i have a patent pending..sometimes he ask me to hold his hand when we look for ammy's so he at least finds something..it's the other way around with beryl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:26 pm 
Gemology Online Übergod

*sigh* Us California folks need to do something like this... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:03 pm 
Gold Member

amethystguy wrote:
..of course he doesn't have amdar(ammy radar) that is exclusive to me and i have a patent pending..sometimes he ask me to hold his hand when we look for ammy's so he at least finds something..it's the other way around with beryl

Jason... Jason... JASON! Wake UP! You were dreaming again. :lol:

Edit - Oh, and I may go to Hogg this weekend.