National Shutdowns have put the lid on most shows.
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:50 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Cash & Treasures
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:09 am 
Site Admin

I stumbled on the Travel Channel this evening and I've been watching shows for the past several hours....
They have travel shows, all within the United States, that go hunting for geodes, gold, meteorites, diamonds, sapphires, amethysts...right now they are searching for aquamarines. I love this show!
http://travel.discovery.com/tv/cash-tre ... sures.html

Post subject: Travel Channel
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:04 pm 
Platinum Member

Barbra, I was watching the same show last night. I actually got into this crazy buisness by taking a vacation to North Carolina and doing some "mining" at Gem Mountain. I know the the 2 guys Frank and Charles that were in the show.
The quality of the gem rough found was very very low, but a few stones were able to be cut. Frank is the guy that got me hooked on cutting.

2 years ago we were out your way, and on the way up to visit Yosemit, I stoped and bought a pan, did a little panning. Didn't find anything, but had a blast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:49 pm 
Established Member

I was at the filming of the Cash & Treasures show for the Jackson’s Crossroads Amethyst Mine. I even made it on to the show (but not a speaking roll) I have had the opportunity to dig there quite often. Pulled some beautiful amethyst out of there both specimen and facet rough. If you look at my website www.imperialyurt.com you can see a stone that I cut from there, the cutting process and the finished pendant. (I know that it is not much of a website -I spend more time cutting and rockhounding than working on the site. -someday . . .)

Rodney has since sold that mine but is still offering locations to dig for gems and minerals in Georgia and Arkansas.

There was also a C&T show featuring Mark Renz and hunting shark teeth and fossils on the Peace River. My girlfriend and I went down there a few weeks ago and did two trips with him. Great fun and found some nice fossils. Looking forward to doing that again sometime soon.

Robert Kyle

Post subject: Hogg Mine in LaGrange, GA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:29 am 
Gemology Online Übergoddess

:P the travel channel came to the "hogg mine" in lagrange, where i live, during this month. from what i understand, the site will be open to the public every saturday through the month of may.

i will definitely be watching the travel channel this wednesday @ 10pm to see what kirsten, the cash and travel host, finds in them there hills!! :wink:

i've read just a bit of material on the mine site- there's rose quartz, tourmaline (schorl), aquamarine, etc... supposedly at the location. rodney (jackson crossroad's) is hosting the dig and you have to bring your own tools-$35.00 for adults, not sure about the charge for little ones. my hubby and i are planning to go out there probably next weekend.

have any of the forum members been to this site?? or if anyone plans on going, please let me know.

any suggestions on what to look for, i would greatly appreciate it!! my hubby nor myself have been digging around for nice rocks. from the pictures i have seen of the site, looks like good ole georgia clay, kinda sandy, not sure if there is a stream nearby though. i understand it is on 2 fault lines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:43 pm 
Gold Member

Hogg Mountain's schedule is on the right pane of this page

http://www.dixieeuhedrals.net/wordpress/index.php

I, too, have been watching Cash and Treasure. My only disappointment is that some of the mines they go to are known for non-native stones. In the NC area, Cherokee Ruby Mine and Mason's Ruby and Sapphire Mine (not Mason Creek or Mtn) are definitely native stones. Same with the beryl mine. Crabtree Emerald Mine operated by M.A.G.M.A (Mountain Area Gem and Mineral Association) is native.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:42 pm 
Gold Member

Holy Cow! Barb, can I come over and watch it with you?

I guess it is on at 5:00pm over here. I was wondering if there was ever a show about rockhounding, haven't seen it yet but I'll def, have to catch it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:26 am 

watched the show yesterday. rerun-kirsten and the crew were @ hogg mine in lagrange digging for rose quartz, i believe it was kirsten's birthday. anyway, they didn't show them digging for anything but rose quartz. on rodney's website, they show findings of beryl from the show.

we were planning on going this weekend to hogg mine, but, unfortunately, finances must come first. maybe on the 13th of june we will go rockhounding at hogg mine.

not to mention, it's getting hotter than Hades in Lagrange!!! darn air conditioner runs 24 hours a day it seems.

Post subject: CASH & TREASURES, OREGON WORLD RECORD SUNSTONE, JCK ARTI
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:00 pm 
Established Member

Hey all, thought people might find this interesting as it relates to the Cash and Treasures Show and also Oregon Sunstone.
The following link will take you to an article in the trade magazine JCK.
This article is in the current issue.
I did NOT write the article but I am quoted in it.

http://www.jckonline.com/article/CA6565708.html

Some additional information about this find can be found at one of my blog sites http://miningnews.blogspot.com/2007_07_01_archive.html

And for what it is worth: The cash and treasures show is super. Information about gems,gemstones and mining is very interesting. Especially since it allows people to "experience" places that they might never get to visit. However, my personal opinion is that not everyone knows that these shows are a lot like the shows on fishing and hunting. Countless hours of filming might be done and condensed down into that thrilling episode. In other words, there are most likely many empty screens and specimen baggies before that big find happens.
Mining is WORK. Semi-precious stones are of value because by nature they are rare and require considerable effort to find.

be well,
Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:15 pm 
Platinum Member

Yes they make it look very easy on C&T. It's a great show and I watch every episode but people have to realize it is not as easy as they make it look on the show. I have buddies who were at the JXR, HOGG, and EMERALD HOLLOW filmings and they said it was reaL cool to watch. Although during the Emerald hollow episode they said some of those were planted in the hole for Kristen to find. Anyways I can't wait for new episodes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:51 am 

i read on the travel channel's cash and treasures' blog of folks questioning if kirsten actually finds all her "treasures" or if she has a little help. :smt001

steve-i checked out your blog yesterday and looked at the sunstone, and then all the sunstone jewelry-very nice!

we'll probably head out to hogg mine at the end of this month-around the 21st.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:31 am 
Platinum Member

whether she has help or not can really be determined by what she's pulling out.. for example on that trip to the tourmaline mine chris runs, she got a perfect undamaged bi-color.. The only place you find that is in a pocket, removed w/ kid gloves.. not buried in the dirt w/ random pebbles around to knock dings in it..

Show is great entertainment, can only help.. just hope people don't quit their day jobs! :) I watch it whenever i can..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:30 am 
Platinum Member

I enjoy watching the show also, but find that there price quotes on the specimens & gems she finds quite out of line. Sometimes, way out of line, as in way to much. The show makes it sound like anything they find they can liqudate into money. Not true, you have to have a buyer first. People will get the wrong impression, one that tells them they can get rich quick. Its just not true. I just smile & shake my head when the host says something like, I just made a $1000.00, not bad for a couple hours work. Yeah, right. :lol:

Thank you...Thank you very much... Richard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:43 pm 
Platinum Member

Good point jleb I have never found a perfect bi-color outside of a pocket. I have found perfect schrol but thats a different situation. The pricing they do is also retail price after the cutting of the stone, the setting of the stone in precious metal, and all of the man hours put into it. The fisrt quote of the rough stone is always high.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:10 pm 
Platinum Member

amethystguy wrote:
The pricing they do is also retail price after the cutting of the stone, the setting of the stone in precious metal, and all of the man hours put into it. The fisrt quote of the rough stone is always high.

Yes, but its still to high. Their quoting Tiffany retail prices for Walmart stones. :lol:

Thank you...Thank you very much... Richard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:39 pm 
Established Member

It is pretty obvious she has help. In most cases, the mine owner (or equivalent) takes her by the hand and says "look here". That's not the experience most of us would have during our visit. For me, that's OK because it would be a really boring show if she kept going places only to strike out. Not much entertainment value in that.

The one thing that drives me nuts is that they always use the high estimate. If the local expert says it is worth $150-$300 dollars, she immediately responds with "wow, $300".

But I do enjoy watching.