National Shutdowns have put the lid on most shows.
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:15 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Namibia
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:12 am 
Valued Contributor

A gem collecting friend is headed to Namibia next June. She has one contact there, but looking for others. Rough and or cut.

Any recommendations? Feel free to P.M. me.

Thanks so much,

Post subject: Re: Namibia
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:43 pm 
Gold Member

360 wrote:
A gem collecting friend is headed to Namibia next June. She has one contact there, but looking for others. Rough and or cut. Any recommendations?360

Before arrival in Namibia, you could try these...
Forrest Branch, works for a firm called Clearstone Processing - they are a diamond cutting firm in the industrial section of the capital, Windhoek. Forrest was also involved in the development of two faceting operation facilities in Namibia, one in Karibib [where the fine Tourmalines come from] and the other is in the south, Keetmanshoop. No rough or cut goods in the south, though - it was strictly to create employment in an area of the country with very poor employment stats. <clearstone@iway.na> or 011-264-81-128-7960 if dialing from the USA.

Edmund Bugnosen, chairman of the Small Miners Assistance Center. Can find him in the capital as well. <ayban@aol.com> or 011 264-61-224805 from the USA. His office was inside the confines of the Ministry of Mines and Energy.

Raoul Matzopoulos with Jahmen Mining Industrie <rmatz@iafrica.com.na> or by phone from the USA 011-264-61-220785 This guy is working with three others and are handling the digging at one location. Had a variety of roughs - keep in mind his goods are "mine run" and appear so. Good to lower one's expectations.

And finally, look up Chris Johnston the geologist in Omaruru. Don't have his number or address anymore but Omaruru is a small town of about 4000 people and he is a known entity in the region. His specialty is Demantoid Garnet. His wife used to do some faceting.

Wish you the best on this trip.... it is a stunningly beautiful country. Think high desert, very dry, warm during the day, fairly cool at night. And don't expect any rain!

http://www.rogerdery.com

Post subject: namibia
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:52 am 
Valued Contributor

Hi Roger,

Thanks so much for all the great info.

So sorry we didn't hook up in Tucson. I'd like to think I'll be better at managing the schedule next year. We all have our dreams, :-).

I did spend a bit of time at Electric Park, but missed you at the educational tent. What a great place.

Met someone on the plane on the way home that was on cloud nine because of all the time you spent teaching her how to facet. She proudly showed me the CZ she completed with your assistance, very cool. You made someone very very happy!

Thanks again and warm regards,

Post subject: Re: namibia
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:42 pm 
Gold Member

360 wrote:
Thanks so much for all the great info.

Christine,
A few more things that did not come to mind as I was writing the earlier message.

Visa requirements....
For Namibia, they will *not* need to acquire a formal Visa prior to their visit. Generally, [assuming they have US passports] they will be issued a 'landing visa' on entering the country, which is good for 30 days. This is basically your plain tourist style visa that gives access to all areas of the country.

Vaccinations....
Unless you are coming from another African nation that has occurrences of Yellow Fever, you will not be required to have any vaccinations. That being said, it is advisable to have the following: Diptheria, Typhoid and a Polio update. These three are often administered together as one shot by most health departments. Also, it is suggested to have a Tetanus booster - especially if it has been over ten years since their previous Tetanus booster. And finally, Hepatitis A. This is in two shots 3 to 4 weeks apart. Unless they are working in health care, Hep B and C are not needed.

Arrival times....
Most travelers fly into Namibia landing in the capitol, Windhoek. If flying in from either Johannesburg or Capetown, you will be arriving in the early evening and it is still a half hour ride by taxi into the city centre. Currently, there are only two major 'western-style' hotels in the city. If it was me, I would make a reservation for at least one night there, so that you are in fairly comfortable surroundings on your first night - and reasonably good food the next morning.

If they are flying from Atlanta on South African Air or Delta, they are in for a treat because the newer airliners have more comfortable seats than before - this is the new Boeing 340 aircraft. And, if they move into Business Class they are 'sleeper' seats! 8)

Post subject: thanks again
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:56 pm 
Valued Contributor

Roger,

Once again thanks, above and beyond the call. She's been to Africa a dozen times, so fortunately knows the drill. Going thru the shots and pills now.

I need to check out the Boeing 340 you mentioned. Sleeper seats, ohhhhh.

Not sure if you use this site.
http://www.flyerguide.net/seats/?airline=&class=1&type=
Check out the First Class Seats Suites.

Best,

Post subject: Re: Namibia
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:05 pm 
Gold Member

360 wrote:
I need to check out the Boeing 340 you mentioned. Sleeper seats, ohhhhh.

Not sure if you use this site.
http://www.flyerguide.net/seats/?airline=&class=1&type=
Check out the First Class Seats Suites.

Christine,
I haven't run across the site you noted, but will review it for future. I have used this one though.
http://www.seatguru.com
SeatGuru seems to offer similar info for the regular traveler, though it doesn't seem to have the same international flavor. Good to have both at my fingertips...

Post subject: Great site
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:41 am 
Valued Contributor

Really great site!! I've added it to the travel toolbox.

The ability to scroll over the seats and get an explanation about their designation is just killer.