January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Australian IPO - opal/sapphire mining
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:45 am 
Valued Contributor

Some interesting events in our neck of the woods with an IPO for Australian Gemstone House coming up soon.

Very large area of land in our area covered by an exploration licence but some questions being asked...

We are keeping well out of the discussion (we are in no way associated with those quoted in the above article) but following developments with interest.

Van Diemen Mines in Tasmania are inching closer to commercial sapphire production after delays and modifications of their processing plant - have some kind of agreement with Columbia to market it as Tasmin Blue according to the website but know nothing more about it than that.

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:50 am 
Established Member

Hi Andrew and Leah

I trust you are well.

Have you heard anything about the quality of the Van Diemens material. Many years ago a friend from Tasmania showed me material he had collected while gold prospecting. Around 2-4 ct and a lovely medium blue with no visible inclusions. Unfortunately I wasn't cutting at the time and we have lost touch.

It is amazing where sapphires turn up in Australia. I bought a parcel from an old prospector many years ago that he collected around Kiandra way in the 1920s (now a national park). Amazing blue with many having a lavender tint as well. Small stones but they cut very well.

For the record I haven't seen anything that compares to the Inverell blues (you know, indigo C axis and true blue cross table). They cut beautiful gems in the 1-2 carat range. Many thanks for the wonderful material I have bought from you over the years. I am very pleased that I bought them when I did.

Regards