Merryn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:30 pm 
Gold Member

mehoose wrote:
mmm.

Makes you stop and think a bit.

Merryn.

Most folks don't get out much and hence the comments on that article (below the article). While the mine end does not pay well by our standards, consider the cost of the final product and it is not that high per ct. But good days can mean a better life for all in the families later. There just is not the infrastructure and societal mobility (which is what has made the maligned 'west' the 'haves').

This is why investing in infrastructure in locations like this is what changes it. Energy, clean water, and modern material (ag, industry) investment can lift these areas up. Right now, as bad as the conditions appear, it is considerable cash coming in for those miners compared to the rest of some of the areas. Those folks see a short term opportunity that might improve their lives. And... some folks want to stop it without asking them how they feel about it.

And if you feel guilty looking at those pictures, don't. If you invest in schools and projects in these countries, the money they make allows them to buy 'leisure' time in the future. So the kids can go to school instead of helping the family to survive. Is it tough? Yes. So was the 19th and early 20th century here. It can be improved with investment and knowing it will take more than 1 generation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:55 pm 
Gemology Online Übergoddess

gsellis,

I do agree with what you are saying. Everyone should have the right to make a conscious decision to do what is right for them and their own for their future. It's when 'persuasion' is used that I get 'uncomfortable', putting it politely. In saying that , I'm NOT suggesting that that is the case here. Just that when you see visual reminders that's when I stop and reflect. I'm the first person to admit I love natures bounty and use both metals and gemstones in my creations. Apart from what I find myself the rest has had to come via someone else' sweat.

Anyway, not trying to be political, just trying to be involved in a friendly discussion.
Sincerely,
Merryn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:55 pm 
Platinum Member

Very nice gsellis :) Is that your dissertation on socio-economics in third world countries? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:16 am 
Established Member

This has prompted me to post on something I have been thinking about for a long, long time.

I have cut gems for around 30 years off and on for the pure joy of cutting. I knocked back the opportunity to become a professional diamond cutter in Australia when I was 15 to concentrate on academic pursuits. Not filthy rich but better off than about 99.99 percent of humanity. I,ve had a fun life too :D I have a lot of rough and a lot of cut gems, mainly sapphire but a heap of other material as well. Not cutting right now but will be bringing my machine to Malaysia end of the year.

I don't need the money from selling gems. I am paid a ridiculous salary in my day job. Sold gems when I was younger but never found it interesting or satisfying. The material I buy is purely discretionary spending.

I have been thinking that it would be nice to get some money back to the miners who have given me so much joy from cutting over the years but could never think how, mainly because most of the material has passed hands a number of times. But I have one nearly direct source in Vietnam who I think I can trust to return the money fairly - he was a miner himself and is part of the local community. Both he and his wife are lovely people and I have to catch up with him in November in Hanoi :D

What I am thinking is using the members sale section of this forum to post a few stones to sell to members. Would list a maximum price and take whatever is offered. I don't want any take at all. Some of you guys know who I am (Aussie Sapphire, Jay in Asia, Jason) and know I am legitimate.

Any proceeds would go to Vietnam at least initially, but I bet some of you guys have reliable sources who are in it to help people as well. To kick start the process off I would probably list some stuff I have here from elsewhere, mainly Aussie sapphire with the revenue going to the miners in Vietnam. I'd have to talk to my mate in Hanoi about this first - I think he'd be chuffed and so would his wife.

Anyway, I'll just check on this post over the next couple of weeks to see what the thinking is from members. The world is going to be a tough place for us all over the next few years. The really poor are going to be the worst hit - they already have been with food and energy prices.

What do you think?

Last edited by pipeliner444 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:24 am 
Gemology Online Übergod

Pipe,

Sounds like a generous and worthy idea. I'd support you in this.

Jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:13 am 
Gemology Online Übergoddess

p444

I've been sitting here trying to think of something to say. Nothing witty, smart, humorous would come to mind. Read your entry a few more times, nope, certainly doesn't invoke anything there except for one word.

WOW.

Respect and admiration certainly enters the picture for such a generous offer.
If your intentions come to fruition, you could certainly follow up with photos or video of how they are benefiting on the forum. Good to see something positive happen.
I take my hat off to you.

Merryn.

P.S. That means 2 Ayes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:57 pm 
Valued Contributor

Hi P444,

great to hear from you we have just been so busy this last year I have had trouble keeping up with the forum and posting enough.

Everybody should in their lifetime travel - not to the normal tourist haunts but out into the real world. I have had the opportunity over the last while to spend time in Thailand with "Real People" and it has been so rewarding. It's only when you get into the family homes do you see just how lucky most of us are.

Working and becoming friends with this family has been a very rewarding and uplifting experience for me - the beauty of most Thai people is they care and share. This family operate a preforming and heat treatment factory (no chemicals) and contract out the cutting to other small operators. By working smart we have together lifted the quality along with percentage returns on the Sapphire making the Factory profitable in difficult times.

The 10 workers now make good money (in terms of usual take home pay). Every Baht these workers earn supports extended families - often sending any spare directly to their parents, brothers and sisters (natural and adopted - almost all I have met have brought up others they call their sister or brother - something that is rare to see in our western society where people seem to think only of themselves)

Anyway a long-winded way of saying that by improving the profitability of one factory, it helps at least 50 people - I like that because it isnt charity - just working together to help each other.

Back to your idea - it's great :lol: I have spent a long time thinking of the best way to help without just making one person lucky and another not. Not sure of the logistics but I favour the small interest free loans or microcredit idea. Most I have met are very proud and would have some problem in just accepting a cash donation.

If one was to give 2000 baht ($50 AUD) to a young man with a familly he has dilemma - someone without thought to the future might spend 500 on the lottery and 1500 on a bottle of Johny Walker scotch :roll: If you give the same man a loan, he might buy a trolley to be able to sell his farms produce on the streets or a refrigerator to save his food :wink: - if can make his business work better, then many people benefit.

I often see many farmers selling everything on the same day and market as all their neighbours where if they could sell in a different place or keep produce and sell one week later, would make much more money. Might only need something small to enable this but would make big difference.

Be very happy to discuss this further and keen to help in any way.