January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Back to pegmine and first ever facet stones
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:11 pm 
Platinum Member

Went and dug at the pegmine again today. Found some specs. nothing real good.

Here is the contact zone between the quartz core and the kaolin where we started sample digging

Same thing

Here is a beryl crystal in the wall. I don't know what happened to the middle...must have knocked it out with the machine

Same thing with finger in pic for size comparison

Here are a few of the crystals we found today. These two pieces are the same one that was in the wall pic broken in half. One piece is terminated

Same pic ..ends of crystal

This one we found about 1 foot away it also was in 2 pieces but this piece has a little facet grade green you can see on the right but is not big enough to cut a stone

This piece we found wanted to be glassy but didn't have the gumption to succeed. Notice the blue facet grade lines throughout. To bad they are just thin lines

The whole take for the day

Well, when i got home, in the mail waiting for me was my first ever faceted stones...woo hoo... this is a big step, right? First ever cut stones...it's small potatos compared to you guys but..hey..it's a start. These 2 stones are from the very first piece of aqua I ever found. EVER. Natural unheated aqua from this very same peg. Georgia aquamarine, not to many folks have that. 2.4 and 2.5 cts respectively. Sorry about the photo quality. They look much better in person, trust me. They are NOT cloudy(bad pic and picture taker) and the "crystal" is perfect. They are included which I can easily see with my loupe but I can't see anything with my eyes(eyes not the best though)I will need somebody to help me or teach me how to take pics of faceted stones. this was the first time for me. It was difficult to even get these crappy shots. need the right angle, lighting, position, etc. how do you hold or set the stone to take a pic? How do you have the lighting? Behind you? Overhead? I am real proud of my first faceted stones and whats even better is I dug it out of the virgin ground myself.

Thanks for looking
Jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:00 am 
Established Member

Great pictures! Love the cut stones as well.