January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: New amethyst location Six's Farm
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:17 am 
Platinum Member

Brand new amethyst location. Some giant..I mean massive ammy crystals have been dug out of this place. Most have been gemmy with huge stones cut from the material. Never been dug before other than Junior so it's fresh grounds and fresh pickings. Anybody is welcome to come. Must sign up as a Magma member when you get there but membership is free. I will have my ammy radar for this dig. Need to blow the dust off it.

Six S's Farm
Amethyst Dig
Oglethorpe County, Georgia
August 29th and 30th, 2009

Official Fieldtrip of the Mountain Area Gem and Mineral Association

Be sure to read this entire trip announcement for conditions, rules and fees for this dig!

The Mountain Area Gem and Mineral Association (M.A.G.M.A.) invites you to join us for a fieldtrip to a new amethyst dig site in Georgia!

Junior Norman has been working this site with a small dig crew and they have recovered some huge amethyst crystals. Junior had some of these on display at the last Graves Mountain Open House. The larger crystals are as big as bowling balls! There has also been some top quality facet grade amethyst collected at this site. I met with Junior and the property owner last week to get an idea of what the site looks like and what the club members can expect. There appears to be enough room to accommodate many rockhounds (at least 100-150), maybe more, so we will not put a limit on the number of people who may attend. A huge area is already cleared for digging. There is a creek next to the mine that members will be allowed to dig and screen in for amethyst.

Rules and conditions for this dig!

Any violation of any of these rules will result in the immediate removal of the offending person(s) from the property!

1. No person is allowed on any other property other than the Six S's Farm property.

2. Collectors may claim only one spot at the mine to dig at a time. You cannot mark two or three different spots and claim them as yours. If you start a hole on Saturday and want to work it the following day, you will need to mark the hole with your tools or a tarp etc. This will mark your spot. Anyone caught removing someone else’s tools from their hole and claim jumping will be told to leave the property immediately. A claim is generally the length of your arms outstretched on either side of you (approximately 4-5 feet x 4-5 feet). You MAY NOT stick a pry bar in the ground at one spot and a shovel in the ground 20 feet away and claim all the ground in between.

3. All persons attending this dig will be polite to all other persons attending. Any arguments between anyone for any reason will result in the removal of both parties from the property.

4. Hand tools only will be allowed at the mine site, power tools of any kind are not allowed.

5. These rules will be followed by every person attending this dig. This is a new dig site and the owner of the property is being very generous by allowing us to conduct this fieldtrip. It is the goal of the MAGMA club to preserve and keep open collecting sites. We will not allow the actions of ANY rockhound ruin our chances for future collecting at this or any site!

6. All specimens found are the property of the digger who found them.

7. All trash (including cigarette butts) must be removed from the property when you leave.

8. Hours for this dig: 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Saturday and 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Sunday.

Camping / Motels: There are several hotels/motels in the nearby towns (about 15-20 miles) of Athens, Washington and Greensboro, Georgia. Watsons Mill State Park is located in Comer, Georgia. There will be NO camping at the dig site.

Facilities: There will be porta potties on site.

Release forms: All persons entering the property of the Six S's Farm will be required to sign a release of liability form before entry. We will have the release forms at the mine.

Fees: Adults, $25.00 for one day, $40.00 for both days.

Children 12 years of age and under are free.

All persons attending this dig are required to pay the above fees whether they are digging or not, if you do not plan to collect and do not want to pay the fees, do not attend this dig!

Directions: Take Hwy. 378 West from Lincolnton, Georgia past Graves Mountain. Continue on 378 till it ends at Washington, Georgia. Turn right onto Sam McGill Pkwy. going towards Elberton, Georgia. Turn left onto Hwy. 78/10 West towards Athens, drive approximately 19.7 miles. Turn left onto Salem Church Rd., go to end of road. Turn left onto Hwy. West 22. Turn right on first paved road. (Stephens Salem Road) 985 Stephens Salem Road.

Because of insurance requirements, all persons attending this dig must be a MAGMA member. It is the policy of MAGMA to invite EVERYONE to attend our digs. If you are not a MAGMA member and would like to attend this dig or one of our other digs, you can apply online at www.wncrocks.com at the "MAGMA" link or email me at rick@wncrocks.com for a FREE membership, we also offer a platinum paid membership for $10.00 per year. You can also sign up for membership on the day of the dig.

I want to give a big THANK YOU to Junior Norman for setting up this dig for our club with the property owner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:59 am 
Gemology Online Übergoddess

Amguy,
Sounds like a BRILLIANT DAY.
Hope the weather will be nice and fine and everyone remembers to have their happy pills in the morning. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:04 pm 
Gemology Online Übergod

Man Jason that sounds like a lot of fun. Too bad I don't have the physical stamina to do the labor or I'd join you.

J-

Post subject: Re: New amethyst location Six's Farm
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:44 pm 

amethystguy wrote:
Brand new amethyst location. Some giant..I mean massive ammy crystals have been dug out of this place. Most have been gemmy with huge stones cut from the material.

I will have my ammy radar for this dig.
Need to blow the dust off it.

:lol:
hey amguy,

thank you for sharing the information of the new amethyst location. i am sure you'll have a great time searching out the ammies! (and after reading rules 1 and 2, as mehoose mentioned, you may need to make sure everyone has taken a couple of "happy pills" for the dig! lol!)

hope you'll post pics of what you find!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:46 pm 
Platinum Member

At new digs you tend to get folks who may not come to many of the other regular digs so the rules have to be spelled out explicitly.....lest you get some bad apples

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:01 pm 

:) i can understand why rules are most definitely needed, especially dealing with a new dig site as enticing as this site will be and having new folks.

anyway, wish we could head up there. anyway, have a good dig!!!:wink:

will gsellis and his green wagon be going to the dig??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:38 pm 
Platinum Member

more than likely he will come..I got some decals for him too. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:41 pm 
Gold Member

gingerkid wrote:
will gsellis and his green wagon be going to the dig??

Nope. Lorrie has knee surgery that week and needs help getting around. September is out for mining.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:15 pm 
Platinum Member

well darn..if for some reason pops couldn't come to glendon quarry i was going to see if you wanted the place I reserved

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:05 pm 

hey amguy,
what's on the decals you found for gsellis' lil' green wagon??!
:lol: