January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:49 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Where to buy gemstones online
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:42 pm 

Yeah, you have to be very careful buying cut stones on eBay, though I have one or two suppliers who I've found to be reliable and honest. Buying mineral samples (and to a lesser extent, gem rough), on the other hand, is not nearly as risky if you really know what you're doing. I've had a whole lot of luck with that myself. It's easy to fake a cut tourmaline and have it be convincing in photos--much less so a tourmaline crystal.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:25 am 
Established Member

The trick with ebay is to check a dealers feedback before buying. Do they have many negative posts? What do they say? Fake gems mentioned? How many feedback total? One thing you do get with ebay is buyer protection, at worst you could be out postage costs and often that is covered as well. Another place with more professionalism overall is www.gemrockauctions.com and www.opalauctions.com but prices may be higher for basically equivalent materials. #-o

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:54 pm 
Site Admin

Truth be told, I have identified gems sold by eBay dealers with 99.9% positive feedback that were phony as a $3 bill.
But your other recommendations are solid.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:53 am 
Established Member

I agree with Barbara: if you are going to follow their rules, it's actually quite difficult to post negative feedback on eBay, because first you are supposed to contact the seller and try to resolve the problem. I think maybe the seller can file a case against you if you don't.......

So, my experience of the fraudulent sellers was that they would either continue to claim that the stone was real and demand a lab certificate to prove otherwise (saying that you are clearly ignorant and not enough of an expert to identify a fake stone when you see one), because they know it will cost more than was paid for the stone to get the certificate, or they say that they will refund the purchase price if you return the goods (as per eBay rules) because they know that usually return postage with tracking and recorded delivery (so that they can't claim they never received it) will cost more than was paid for the stone.

Personally I find eBay feedback pretty useless. I see HUNDREDS of stones and jewelry items that are clearly fake every time I look there.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:42 am 
Established Member

What I dislike about the feedback process is the inability to leave negative feedback for buyers recently instituted. You can and should leave negative feedback for sellers though you may have to wait a week or so to do so. They can't retaliate and leave negative for the buyer. Also enough negatives and ebay willrun them off supposedly. Over the years I have found some dealers mostly reliable and of course some who would sell you their grandmothers eye teeth as ivory. Look for the ones who list treatments in the gem description.
Barbra does this site keep a list somewhere of rip-off artists? It would be a service to everyone if lists of both the good as well as the bad and ugly were available somewhere. Anyone know of a site where such might be available?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:41 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Call me old fashioned if you wish, but I try to only buy from dealers I know personally and trust. Having mostly dealt with the same people for the past 30 years I think it worth the money to visit regularly and keep up a relationship. As an old Jewish dealer I was friendly with once remarked "Good business is business with profits to BOTH sides". He was right.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:16 pm 
Valued Contributor

The Colored Stone business can be risky. I suggest you get advice either from your local jeweler or contact the AGTA. [American Gem Trade Association] has strict standards for sellers, guidelines for stone enhancements, and sales integrity.
G.O. is a gemological site. I am a G.G. with training from Gemological Institute of America earned in 1987. Trained and tested be Insurance Industry in Jewelry and gemstone replacement valuation, I hold two degrees from University of Texas BFA 1965 and BS in earth sciences in 1967.
At 73 years young, I am still learning about colored stones. You may check out FTC. [Federal Trade Commission] Years ago I was part of the team which helped to put the "Guidelines for the Jewelry Industry," in plain English. Legalese in guidelines were confusing. We used our GIA training to make rules for miners, wholesalers, cutters, suppliers, jewelers and appraisers. Our vocabulary was the same as those found in FTC guidelines to simplify disputes, reduce fraud, false advertising, and protect inter state commerce for consumers.
I treasure G.O., because of the posts from miners, gemologists, cutters, collectors, appraisers, jewelers, G.G.'s, and people like yourself who are beginning on the adventure of discovering those flowers of crystal species we call gemstones. w

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:24 am 
Established Member

But for the beginner the problem remains, where to find reliable sellers of natural gemstones?
Is there a directory on the GO where I could find some gem cutters?

I can't find what I'm looking for on Gemselect, and AfricaGems is a bit too high end, so I'm a bit lost.
(Im looking for 0.8ct natural ruby marquise)
Especially since I don't want to risk buying anything on Ebay.

Thanks in advance for your kind advice
Seb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:26 pm 
Site Admin

Have you tried Stuller?
https://www.stuller.com/search/results? ... 20marquise

They have 4x8mm in stock.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:46 am 
Established Member

Barbra Voltaire wrote:
Have you tried Stuller?
https://www.stuller.com/search/results? ... 20marquise

They have 4x8mm in stock.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:34 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

hedstrom wrote:
Ah.. i thought so. Well, all i wanted really was to find sellers that are trusted so i don't pay money for a piece of glass. Anyway feel free to remove this post :)

I am on this site for the same reason. thank you for your post it helps me to know where to look.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:35 pm 
Site Admin

Rocksanne, there are several of our board member who deal in gemstones. what are you looking for?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:41 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

It can be a major expedition for someone in the US, but I like to take an annual or 6 monthly trip to Idar Oberstein, in Germany. The whole town is given over to the buying, cutting and selling of gems and the dealers are second to none. Every House has at least one English speaker and usually an in-house gemmologist who will be happy to chat. I would recommend going for "Intergem" a big fair which gives the opportunity to chat to the local dealers (who all exhibit) and sort out those in your price range (the firm of Groh und Ripp usually have a display of really top end gems but, interestingly, no prices. They are effectively saying "If you have to ask the price, you can't afford them"). Buying over the internet is convenient, if possibly risky, but to my mind, there is no substitute for holding the gems in your hand before deciding to buy.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:31 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Alan. Good thought.
I presume the Tucson show will be back on in February.
Many, many reputable sources there. My favorite pavilion is GJX.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:18 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Yes, this past 2 years has been a pain in the backside, and really put a spoke in my travelling. I managed to get to one of the House Fairs a couple of weeks ago, and blew the entire budget in 4 hours! I was talking to an American dealer who claimed to smuggle his buying into the US, "Who is going to suspect a pensioner of having half a million dollars in gems in his pocket?". He may have a point.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next