January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:57 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Superiorgems jewellery idea
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:47 am 
Ebay seller 'Superiorgems' sells gems that are so crap, it almost seems like he's doing it on purpose. In fact I've had one of his sapphires as my avatar for a year now. He's kinda versatile too:

Crap sapphires?

15.65 cts 100% NATURAL UNTREATED CEYLON SAPHIRE and BIG! 505 cts NATURAL GENUINE INDIAN BLUE SAPPHIRE GEM

ImageImage

Check.

Bollocks rubies?

BIG! 3280 cts NATURAL INDIAN RUBY CABACHON and 123.10 cts NATURAL INDIAN RUBY GEMSTONE

ImageImage

Check.

Horrible apatite cat's eyes?

18.60 cts 100% NATURAL APATITE CAT'S EYE GEM

Check.

... and so on. Can't be arsed to list them all, but if you check out his shop, you'll see that 99% are terrible (he's got a few nice chrome diopsides and a nice ruby that just look completely wrong and out-of-place in his store): http://myworld.ebay.com/superiorgems/ I think this one is soap, or something...:

Anyway, there's a girl in Bangkok that has pissed me off. I don't have any revealing photographs of her, or anything like that (and she doesn't own a dog), so I decided I wanted to make her some bespoke jewellery as a peace offering. Not sure if I want to do a ring, necklace or whatever, but I want the raw materials to be supplied by Superiorgems.

I was hoping one of the quality jewellers on this forum could make the thing for me (Asia-based is better, and I'll pay of course), and maybe get some opinions/feedback from GO members about which stones are the most horrible.

I did consider just clamping one of the whoppers above to a chain/ring, and just leaving it at that. However, I would like to try and make it a bit more thought-out and imaginitive than that.

This seller seems to have a boner for stones that are so massive, you could kill a velociraptor with one if you were in a pinch (unlikely scenario I guess). However, I will go through and find the atrocious stones in the sub-15ct range I can find, and maybe put up a poll. Also, as I said before, I will need a jeweller. It would probably help if he had quite low self-esteem. I want the craftmanship to be good, but just with terrible stones.

FYI, I'm serious about this project, and in no way am I just 'dicking about' as my Korean friend next to me in the internet cafe seems to think. I am determined to get this made, photograph it professionally and if Miss.C.S is still being a pain in the arse, send it to her as a gift. Although, that said, if it costs too much, I'll probably keep it as I've lost enough money to her already (and no, I don't mean it in that way, despite her being based in Bkk).

Edit: By the way, do you love emeralds?

Post subject: Re: Superiorgems jewellery idea
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:07 pm 
Gemology Online Royal Princess

:smt046 Please submit a photo of the finished piece, whatever the outcome!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:24 pm 
Valued Contributor

I was only able to make it through one page of the listings. I think your first sapphire would be my choice. Good luck!

Justin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:39 pm 
Gold Member

Actually.... I marked a couple in there on my watchlist. They suck now, but I can recut them at that price. There are some ruby in matrix that would make good intarsia too.

Example

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:38 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Did you make that one? Very nice! Jen has been bugging me to do some intarsia but I haven't gotten the courage to try it, lol! She's got me busy with guitar picks right now, lol! She can't keep up with orders on them.

OP, definitely post a picture of the final piece please! Should be fun!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:11 pm 
Gold Member

Swishman wrote:
Did you make that one? Very nice! Jen has been bugging me to do some intarsia but I haven't gotten the courage to try it, lol! She's got me busy with guitar picks right now, lol! She can't keep up with orders on them.

OP, definitely post a picture of the final piece please! Should be fun!

Yes. Ruby in Zoisite. Black Jade. Then Wyoming or Oregon I think.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:53 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Very cool!

Fyi I have tested stones from this seller! In Facebook known as Chennai Gems. Their honey,yellow, and green tourmaline was prehnite very much like that from Australia, you can even see included Epidote crystals in some in their current auctions too, lol, very typical of prehnite. Material sold as onyx was Brazilian agate, banded and everything, lol, but their "Gemologist " determined it was onyx. And a yellowish sapphire, that was dyed something, lol. Couldn't get an RI due to poor polish. But SG didn't match up for corundum. But would swear it was waxed as well, maybe got it confused with the "Brazilian" agate, lol, sorry, had to. I Didn't test further. Ruby tested was the very low end massive corundum found all over India and some African locales. Typically ground up for abrasives. It was both dyed and oiled, heavily.

Not that there were any doubts things were bad. But once realized same people figured someone may want to know more details. Just don't rely on their ID's even remotely, lol! Their "Gemologist" must have gotten degree from a bubblegum machine, or at least on Facebook they always tout Gemologist tested. ;).