All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Batu-Mulia.com
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:00 am 
Valued Contributor

Longshot but has anyone had any experiences, with this business? batu-mulia.com

Post subject: Re: Batu-Mulia.com
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:33 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Hi, I went to the website, and man, there is some unusual stuff there!
I can only comment on the sapphires they feature, but I've never seen anything like some of them!
One in particular, a yellow/blue rang the bells for me.
Some time ago, I heard about the possibility of blue dye being introduced into fractures in yellow sapphire. Maybe I'm seeing one?
Has anyone else come across said stones?
Barry.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:16 pm 

The site is really interesting, but I do have one question: is anyone familar with Bacan (or Batu Bacan, as some other sites on the internet call it?)? I found a bit of information here: http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fbatubacan.wordpress.com%2F2012%2F12%2F21%2Fbatu-bacan-batu-giok-khas-indonesia%2F&act=url but it's a rough translation and not very specific. The pictures I've seen look really beautiful, though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:04 pm 
Platinum Member

I'm not familiar with Batu-Bacan but you've got to love the translation: "Stone Bacan, an alternative rock of Jade, which is very expensive, but the quality and physical form that is not much different (both green and have almost the same level of violence)."

Now I have to check my jade stock to keep the violence level down :)

www.artcutgems.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:06 am 
Valued Contributor

Hey guys thanks for the feedback,
I was mainly interested in the sapphire, its the only place I have found on the net with vivid blue gems affordable to myself, I have been looking for one of these for years now. Though being in Indonesia it kinda makes my twitchy. Cheap enough to fly there from Aust and take a break in Bali on the way home, so not really considering an international transaction but am interested in anyone that may have an experience with them. Over the last 6 months of looking at their periodical updates they have had some outstanding star sapphires in vivid colour too, could even go down that path just to be different. Cant say i am familiar with blue yellow sapphire, not like the parti's here in Aust. Although I do have a lot of Winza ruby/corundum rough some of which shows blue mixed with red to orange, purplish pink and everything in between. Also I have seen plenty of African corundum rough in just about every colour conceivable. Batu -bacan weird sounds like some sort of nut!! Never heard of it but I have limited experience in the Indo-Thai gem trade, sounds like it is getting some good prices though....... for a rock and a violent rock at that, it may need some anger management or cognitive behaviour therapy so that may drag the profit margin down.
Hey ROM I hope your Jade has not suffered a relapse.
Interesting translation for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:24 pm 
Established Member

Surely, Bacan is the local trade name for Chrysocolla Chalcedony, which has color range from Blue-Green and Green. This stone can be found in Bacan Island, the part of Northern Maluku, Indonesia. I have identified many of of this kind of stone since I work for a gem lab. People hunt for the unique feature of this stone that can change the diaphaenity, and they're looking for how can speed up the metamorphosis.

Many Chinese and Taiwan people browse Bacan stones in Indonesian market and they bring them home as Jadeite substitute.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:17 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

BACAN stones come from the island of Maluku. Bacan is a small island in Maluku in Indonesia. There are also copper minings found in many regions of Maluku. The first time I saw bacan stones when I was there in 2003. The stones are wasted stones from copper quarry. Lab report is Silika stones or chrysocola or chalecedony copper stones. When processed the stones will have many black spots and dirty indicating the stones consists of Salt. These stones become booming when the syndicate made a promotion that bacan is a gemstone or precious stones, jade etc and many foreigners buy them. I sent samples to the experts, they laughed at me because the type of stones are used in some countries for Aquarium decoration. The price is much much much much more cheaper. The syndicate is trying to make their own business to expand their influence on the people who mostly do not have knowledge of gemstones. They have made a lot of profits by selling at high price just like gold value USD500 to USD2000 per ons.

There is a saying I created : " If you are asked to choose Gold and Bacan.. Which one do you pick? Still Bacan stone, so you must be crazy!"

Now other types of ordinary stones are booming here. They have been fooling people in order to get very high profits from their mission. Televison medias also take part of the stones light up without consulting with the experts first. Some people knew they had been cheated after they bought the stones which do not look like the samples they revealed after beeing polished. Some loose stones samples shown by syndicate are extracted from other resources. The genuine gemstones ruby, blue sapphire, diamonds etc are made no value by them. They have succeeded.

Now natural stones suppliers here are facing big problem to export the decorative stones to other country. The decorative stones are also considered gemstones by customs.

Crazy but True

Thank you
James Headache
Jakarta
Indonesia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:46 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

The first men who surveyed Bacan stones were me and my partner in Taiwan. We found them mostly at copper quarries at that time (2003). For correction, they are not for jadeite substitute, but for beads and pendants. The jadeite substitute is called Chrysophrase, the best one is discovered in Australia. Is is also called Australian Jade not Bacan..

Bacan stones are dirty with black spots and easy to crack. Australian jade is often used for jadeit substitute. The other type is Yellow Stones (Batu Koneng or Tian Huang) from West Java. I have my own quarry there. Then they have new other findings in India and Laos, pyropholite and dictite stones. And also in Mexico for Chicken Blood Stone. You work in the lab, you should have known better. There are other types of Jade recently found ie. Dushan jade and Putao Jade.Thank you.

James Headache
Jakarta