July 11-12:BILLINGS, MONTANA: Annual show; Billings Gem and Mineral Club; Sat. 10-5, Sun. 10-4; Free admission!
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:18 pm 
Valued Contributor

Many thanks for the good advice all round folks!

Yes, my gut feeling is to play the game and be straight up front with what goes on the declaration form... if it's $2000 then put down $2000. This way there is no grounds for any contention or problems. For the description I think I will probably be putting "mineral specimen" rather then "gemstone"... what do you folks put when sending gems? "Gemstone"? "Stone"? Is "Mineral Specimen" bending the truth?

My intention was not that I wanted to avoid taxes and so forth, but rather that I wanted to make sure that the parcel was not (or at least less) likely to go "missing" in transit. But then I figure that there must be loads of $2000+ items going through the system each day and mine will be just one of many. If it does happen to go missing (either genuinely or not) and if I have lied on the declaration / insurance form then it will all become very messy very quickly... most definitely something to avoid.

As Jason advised, I will make sure that I am clear to customers regarding all this and then the choice is theirs whether or not they want to continue with the purchase. I think that is the safest route. Let them know also that if the purchase is over $1000 in value then they may be subject to taxes and charges on route which they would need to cover.

If I am wanting to have a long term business in this area where postal services are a key component of things then the last thing I want, as Wolf said, is to become a "person of interest" to the government. They most certainly can make one's life a misery if you give them cause to!

In regards to making a claim on the insurance, is that the customers responsiblity or something that the seller has to do? Who has to do the actual legwork? If the customer says they never got the parcel, is the onus on me to claim on the insurance or failing that, to return the money to the customer? How does this area of things work?

Spauwe wrote:
how going? nearly take-off time isn't it? It appears you'll be pulling some grasses up north before digging! Bringing a whipper-snipper sounds like a good idea. Just received some pictures of retreat creek doing what it normally doesn't...

Hi Spauwe, Yes!!! Getting closer, only 6 weeks more or less to go. Last day of work is 16 May and then I'm off up north... can't wait to get going! Should be a good season... all that rain washing all that dirt off those pretty little stones. :-) I'm even digging sapphires in my dreams!!! I'll be sure to pass on my regards to the pub over a cold amber or three. ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:57 pm 

Quote:
all that rain washing all that dirt off those pretty little stones.

take note of all the grass on the opposite bank, specking will be hell:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:05 pm 
Valued Contributor

I see what you mean... least I won't have to worry about water for my willoughby.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:10 pm 
Valued Contributor

zellij wrote:
Many thanks for the good advice all round folks!

Yes, my gut feeling is to play the game and be straight up front with what goes on the declaration form... if it's $2000 then put down $2000. This way there is no grounds for any contention or problems. For the description I think I will probably be putting "mineral specimen" rather then "gemstone"... what do you folks put when sending gems? "Gemstone"? "Stone"? Is "Mineral Specimen" bending the truth?

I have received several international packages and I usually ask them to be labelled "mineral specimens", just to avoid curiosity along the way.

For example, the Customs officials have been on strike for 23 days now. And a very nice little stone is sitting somewhere, waiting for them to go back to work and clear it for me. I am pretty glad it isn't labelled "gemstone".