AGTA Announces Cancellation of 2021 AGTA GemFair™ Tucson
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Seen an ametrine like this before - I haven't I say.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:18 am 
Valued Contributor

Sometimes someone never stops amusing you.
How about this Ametrine offered on "sort of ebay" tradera here in Sweden.

Here is the link to the auction (although its in swedish):
Direct Link

Quote:
"En mycket stor och sällsynt Ametrine på hela 33.63 carat. Ametrinen är helt naturlig och kommer från Afrika"

Meaning, that its a very big and rare Ametrine (33.63 carat) and that it is totally natural and its origin is Africa. (Although its stated that it has been heattreated further down the text.). Semantics or not, but if something is totally natural does that include heattreatments or any kind of treatments....

Now, if my mind doesnt play me a practical joke, that is not my impression of what an amterine should look like... have I missed something?
:roll:
---> I AM SPEECHLESS <----

Post subject: Re: Seen an ametrine like this before - I haven't I say.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:51 am 
Platinum Member

demantoid wrote:
Now [...] that is not my impression of what an amterine should look like... have I missed something?

No.

... there was a thread about the material recently (HERE)

We need an Index on this forum! :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:20 am 
Valued Contributor

Yes
But thank you for the information about the previous topic dated april last year, and since ebay does not keep images for more than 90 days then there is no reference to the images in question, so the post may be appropriate anyway?

For those interested, is the image only photoshop'd or what could be the cause of the colours in question... this kind of selling tactis upset me and it surely must be illegal to sell it under the headline "totally natural"... what kind of actions should would be proper to do. SHould I contact the auction company and make a remark? Or?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:34 am 
Gemology Online Übergod

I'm certain this is simply one of the many new versions of hydrothermal quartz on the market. I've seen it in every color in the rainbow now including this neon blue-orange "ametrine". Crack it open and i'm sure the color goes all the way through.

Jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:45 am 
Platinum Member

demantoid wrote:
Should I contact the auction company and make a remark? Or?

... or save your breath. There must be thousands of such stones misrepresented as whatever else on the Net. There is something to say for hopeless efforts, but... :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:02 am 
Established Member

These amazing stones can be either COMPLETLY natural :x or as Jason says hydrothermal.

I have two of these stones. One blue-orange as the one above and one green-blue (see other thread). Both of them have "crumb" inclusions and are synthetic. However I had one that was coated but it had less vivid colors. I broke the stone with a hammer and found it to be colorless inside!

The seller who offer this stone on Tradera is in my opinion not very serious. A week ago he had an "emerald" (300 ct or so :? ). I saw the exact same stone (from bellojewelsglobal) on ebay a month before it showed up on tradera. The ebay seller clearly stated that it was dyed quartz.

On Ebay I kind of use the information of stones like these to find good sellers. For example I never buy a thing from sellers with natural blue-orange "ametrines", citrines or wathever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:32 pm 
Established Member

This is "cristinite", a man made material from Austrlian company. ebay ametrine section is just full of these yucky things (well... to me it looks ugly)

http://www.gemcutter.com/cristinite.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:36 am 
Established Member

I've seen some pretty strange interpretations of Ametrines on ebay. They are actually bi-color treated quartz. Ametrine is just that, where amethryst and citrine crystals have grown toghether. I just laugh when I see these things. Occassionally I send a vendor and email.

Example, one has a Yellow Beryl Acquamarine for sale right now. I emailed him and told him the the yellow/golden, acquamarine, morganite, goshenite, emerald are all members of the beryl family and he shouldn't confuse the terms in his Description of the Item. He emailed back and said thanks for the info. I told him it made him sound like he didn't know what he was selling, but we know what we are buying and there is no yellow acquamarine beryl stone. it is one or the other.

You see lots of this on ebay. I usually just pass them by, but this one, I just had to address.