National Shutdowns have put the lid on most shows.
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Commodity
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:38 pm 
Established Member

Africanuck,

I am looking from many angles: online visitor, customer, merchant, web designer and business owner. My opinion based on my experience from developing many gemstone and jewelery websites, thousands of online customer feedback and almost 10 years of research and development. My definition ( in this discussion) of "reputable" is exclusively for the business which sells gemstones online. Yes, reputable means having a good reputation, honest, reliable and so on. It's all true. But we are talking about gemstone business, with all it's specifics. For example, not many people will advertise his/her "reputable" source of gemstones. I know many dealers who re-sell gemstones from online suppliers and always talk negative about them. I know many jewelers who will use online gemstone suppliers but will never admit it. So, first reputation for online gemstone supplier really depends on the website visitor's opinion which formed by looking at the website or by trying to do something, like ordering the stone, or asking the question.

You saying that stones availability ( in stock) is important to you. But for the online supplier it means that certain system must in place, which will track orders and remove sold stones from the display. Most stones are unique and merchant can't control when you will visit website and order something. Such system can't be implemented for 1 or 10 stones, because it's not viable, but without this system supplier can and will loose reputation by selling something which is already sold. This is just one of hundreds issues which directly related to the size of the inventory.

Anyway, you don't care about thousands of stones on the website, but you do care that there are some stones, right? So, what's the number? 1, 10, 100, 1000?

Best Regards
Andrei Vesselovski

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:06 pm 
Established Member

africanuck wrote:
I agree with Gem-n00b.
I'd also like to point out that in saying someone's online store is NOT reputable, (based on criteria that don't seem to have much to do with the quality of goods being sold) you are essentially saying that they are "disreputable", and in an industry where reputation is everything, it's probably bordering on libelous, if not actually over the line. For some reason you seem to think this is not only ok, but that you can repeat it over and over again, as if specifying that "online" makes any difference to the reputation of a gemstone dealer.

If Precision Gem thinks that any of my comments about his website damages his reputation as gemstone dealer, I will remove them at once.

Best regards
Andrei Vesselovski

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:11 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

a.vesselovski wrote:
africanuck wrote:
I agree with Gem-n00b.
I'd also like to point out that in saying someone's online store is NOT reputable, (based on criteria that don't seem to have much to do with the quality of goods being sold) you are essentially saying that they are "disreputable", and in an industry where reputation is everything, it's probably bordering on libelous, if not actually over the line. For some reason you seem to think this is not only ok, but that you can repeat it over and over again, as if specifying that "online" makes any difference to the reputation of a gemstone dealer.

If Precision Gem thinks that any of my comments about his website damages his reputation as gemstone dealer, I will remove them at once.

Best regards
Andrei Vesselovski

This post is most definitely over the line! Not only are you implementing that Precision Gem is disreputable, but also are you directly insulting him by trying to force him to either make him accept your ridiculous accusation and swallow it, or to admit that he would be hurt by your accusations. I don't like your way of writing at all, after this you are certainly not considered reputable with me, regardless how well developed your site (don't see any reference to it) might be! Please Barbra, I'm not Precision Gem, but please lock this thread and remove these last posts. They're shaming the forum! :evil:

Post subject: current thread
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:29 pm 
Gold Member

Barbara I agree with Jung Kee, It is time too lock it, and delete it.

and to remind all of the rules that keep this forum what it is !!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:33 pm 
Gold Member

I think everyone is taking things out of context, over a few miss comunicated words.

I don't know a.vesselovski, nor anyone here personally, but I think (???) he is just trying to point out the difference between a highly functional website & one that could use more work in his opinion. I really don't read any direct slams here, but some of a.vesselovski comments could be worded more carefully. I don't belive a.vesselovski is calling anyone a crook here, just that their website could use improvement in his opinion.

I also believe when a.vesselovski speaks of online gem suplier he is speaking of the very large first person dealers, not slamming the little guy.

Thats all. :)

Last edited by red spinel on Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:51 pm 
Established Member

Jung Kee wrote:
This post is most definitely over the line! Not only are you implementing that Precision Gem is disreputable, but also are you directly insulting him by trying to force him to either make him accept your ridiculous accusation and swallow it, or to admit that he would be hurt by your accusations. I don't like your way of writing at all, after this you are certainly not considered reputable with me, regardless how well developed your site (don't see any reference to it) might be! Please Barbra, I'm not Precision Gem, but please lock this thread and remove these last posts. They're shaming the forum! :evil:

Nobody "implementing" that Precision Gem is disreputable. However, since your are accusing me of deliberately insluting Precision Gem, allow me clarify something:

1. To be considered "reputable" someone should have positive reputation. Saying "I am reputable" means nothing, unless this statement endorsed by someone neutral.

2. Original question of this thread was about reputable online suppliers of colored stones and Precision Gem advertised his website.

3. I posted the comment about who I consider to be a reputable online gemstones suppliers and why. I didn't say anything about Precision Gem's website, business or reputation.

4. Precision Gem didn't like my comment about inventory size and said "The sites you mentioned all sell poorly native cut stones, that would not be used in a unique high end custom setting.", which can be considered as an attempt to damage the reputation of the gem dealers I mentioned.

5. My response to Precision Gem's statement was in regards of his poor quality website and gemstone presentation, which by the way affect his online reputation, at least in my eyes. Nothing was said about the service he provide or quality of his gemstones.

6. During the discussion nobody actually confirmed that Precision Gem is reputable online gemstone supplier. I don't know Precision Gem and my opinion of reputation based on what I can see and what I can read. And I can only see his website and read his comments, which I use to form my opinion.

7. Finally, I never said that Precision Gem is disreputable. It's your and Africanuck assumptions. I can only suggest to keep your assumption within context and avoid speculations.

That will be my last post in this thread.

Thank you
Andrei Vesselovski

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:32 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Andrei,

I wrote "implement" since you correctly haven't accused Precision Gem openly to be disreputable, but you did in fact write that he isn't a reputable online trader, which implements that you think he is disreputable. Plus a lot of more psychological terror.

Also, I haven't said anything about what I think about Precision Gem personally, what I react against is your creepy way of writing, speaking very highly of your long experience and acting God when critizing others.

IMO there is NO SUCH THING as "online reputation" in the way you mean. Reputation is reputation, which is what other people thinks about a particular thing, trader, private person or whatever, nothing else. A good website which is user friendly and accurate is one of the means to build a good reputation, but it isn't a reputation in itself as you seem to be thinking. But I think I get your point, and while I still don't agree with you, I'll respect your opinion.

I think you mean well, is knowledgeable as well (but it really doesn't look very good to critize somebody for telling others that they are reputable, when at the same time posting calls to one's own knowledge and experience without any references), and constructive critic is good, a valuable gift to anyone, but it should be worded carefully and attentive to the one it is delivered to.

Now, I hope that everything is settled and that we can go forward rather than sidewards and backwards. I don't like to scold others, but I'm raised at the countryside and you may call med conservative, but I do believe in respecting people for what they are and to earn respect for oneself.

And yes, I agree with you in paragraph 4, that was an inconsiderate comment from Precision Gem in this debate. But both of you left a lot of very respectless comments in this debate and if we are going to debate all of them individually, we'll never get over this. Which would be a pity, since this needn't be such a big matter at all. It is after all only an online discussion. Both of you have been able to express yourselves, and at least I found this thread interesting until it went too ugly.

Lets continue forward, this forum is a house full of different experiences and knowledge, which makes it an ideal base for sharing information and personal views, thusly enriching the lives of us all - or to be a quarrel groove. Let's chose the first option please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:17 pm 
Site Admin

OK. I get the final word.

I've read all these posts and have concluded that Andrei Vesselovski has steered off course.
GemDaddy was looking for recommendations, "word of mouth" recommendations for good sources for gems. He was asking US for tips on who has provided US with a good product at a good value.

Andrei set off on a tangent to define reputable online commerce, based on some personal criteria that is questionable at best. In my opinion, he does not fully understand the original question, nor the definition of "reputable". Perhaps "reputable" has a different literal translation in Russia. I won't speculate.
Please PM me if you have a strong feeling, either way, that this thread should remain online or be deleted.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5