National Shutdowns have put the lid on most shows.
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Rarest gemstone on earth
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:04 pm 
Platinum Member

I just watched 5 minutes of JTV (swore I'd never do that again) anyway the latest gemstone they are pushin is bytownite.

In their little sales spiel they do before showing the item, the host said....I just talked to our chief gemologist before the show and he told me that in 25 years in the business he had never seen this gemstone before. It is THE rarest gemstone on earth.

Now I don't begrudge people selling gems, jewelry, autos, groceries or anything else to make a living, but please, let's not try to completely dupe an uninformed public about the merchandise we sell.

Anyway, you can buy THE rarest gemstone on earth from them for about 10 bucks a carat if you are interested. They also said they are the ONLY people who have this material. They must be speaking of the only people that have the material that's in their possession.

SERENITY NOW!!!

Post subject: Re: Rarest gemstone on earth
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:30 pm 
Platinum Member

JB wrote:

Now I don't begrudge people selling gems, jewelry, autos, groceries or anything else to make a living, but please, let's not try to completely dupe an uninformed public about the merchandise we sell.

It's past time for the FTC or the FCC to start making those people back up their uninformed and outrageous statements. They should start making them disclose gem greatments and gem clarity too. It certainly seems to be a banner year for feldspar which, taken as a group, is the most abundant mineral on earth!

On the other hand I'm rethinking the possibilities for that 30+ carat chunk of bytownite I received as a free sample from a facet rough supplier last week. I know where lots of bytownite in huge sizes can be had. Maybe I'll soon be driving Rolls Royces and giving Kruggerands as tips. Ooops, I forgot -- ten bucks a carat.

ROM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:40 pm 
Platinum Member

ROM,

I'm with you on the FTC and FCC thing. The problem as I see it is the FTC is pretty explicit in their wording but their guidelines don't hold quite the same punch as laws. A bit harder to enforce.

The FCC is too busy chasing Howard Stern and television shows using profanity or skimpy dress. They don't have a particular interest in lying or deception, leaving that to individual lawsuits.

The real dynamic in my opinion is the disinterest the industry shows in general for this type of convolutions of truth. I think what happened here is that this 24/7 television programming of selling gems and jewelry caught the industry off guard at first. Once established the industry started to see a large increase of interest in colored stones and anything jewelry.

This of course trickled down to increase revenues for the vendors that sell to these companies, appraisers to appraise these gems and jewelry, jewelers that set these loose stones as well as the Gemological schools that have probably seen a marked increase in enrollment from the viewers that watch and buy and decide they want to be a Gemologist. After all, the shows make it sound so easy (and profitable).

Under these conditions its easier for an industry to turn a blind eye than to confront a marketing partner that has proven to be a new source of revenue...not competition.

Well that's my take on it anyway. Everyone plays dumb until someone really gets pissed off and demands accurate representations with full disclosure of what these shows are selling.

Meanwhile the dupers will dupe and the consumers will consume and rational thinking will take a back seat to dreams of riches, investment gems and lifestyles of the rich and famous.

Post subject: bytonite? By tonight, byteonite?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:13 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Sounds like a Husbands promise to wife about mowing the lawn!

Maybe it's a 'digital' joke?

For a newbie, forgive me, I'm Australian, NOTHING is sacred! Sad isn't it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:14 pm 
Platinum Member

lol spherret, I follow your thinking.

It could be a Vampire's invitation to his colleagues, "Let's go out for a bitetonight."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:26 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

JB's Quote:It could be a Vampire's invitation to his colleagues, "Let's go out for a bitetonight."

Well.yes! Thankyou JB, it's obviously P.M. where your at, to think of that.
See, it's A.M here in Aussie, and brain and fingers still in First gear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:35 pm 
Gold Member

Well, you guys are entertaining me, but don't get me started on this subject!

John M. Huff
CenSat Enterprises

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:50 am 
Platinum Member

Nah ux4, let's not pick on JTV or other similar shows. Let's just watch and learn.

For example, on one occasion I was watching a host trying to sell dichroscopes. According to him, if you take your dichroscope into your local jeweler and ask to see a piece of jewelry so you can see if the stones are SR or DR.....He will probably think you're a gemologist and offer you a discount!

You just can't get that kind of "inside" information anywhere else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:23 am 
Gemology Online Royal Princess

Oh man! I have got to get a television!! :smt037

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:25 am 
Platinum Member

With the money you would save on discounts, you could buy a TV MoDo!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:01 pm 
Platinum Member

I made an extra $2000 income this month by shopping discount. Great concept.
One day I will retire on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:57 pm 
Platinum Member

I'll admit I've never fully understood the spend to save concept, unless you are trying to get ahead of some inflationary market.

But If someone were trying to get a jewelry discount, I have a feeling the first time he/she walked into Tiffany and asked to look at their diamonds with a dichroscope, (duh) they'd end up paying full retail.

I think a better approach would be to say, "I really like this piece but, it's a little out of my price range. Would you accept $XX.00 for it (low ball). Let them make a more reasonable offer. (keep the dichroscope in your pocket.)

Makes me wonder, if I walked into Lockheed Martin with a wrench, would they think I'm an aircraft engine mechanic?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:11 pm 
Platinum Member

JB wrote:
I

Makes me wonder, if I walked into Lockheed Martin with a wrench, would they think I'm an aircraft engine mechanic?

Probably. They'd give you a couple million off a new F-22 Raptor, too. That would leave only $248 million as your end of the deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:49 pm 
Platinum Member

Hmmm....nice discount, but, ugly bottom line.

I think I'll take my wrench to Cessna.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:40 pm 
Gemology Online Royal Princess

Okay, just to be fair to JTV: That is where I bought the $85 tanzanite that I just sold for $427. So, I'm happy :D .