January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Aqua Education
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:25 pm 
Platinum Member

OK, I watched a little of a TV gem show yesterday (no name necessary) because they had a new host with 21 years in the business.

He was selling some aquamarine jewelry at the time. After 5 minutes I learned this from him.

All things being equal, a top quality aquamarine is more valuable than a top quality emerald.

He turned this lowly saturated aquamarine sideways until you could see the colorless pleochroism and said that this is why aqua has never been synthesized, because they cannot recreate this "property." (someone should tell the Russians) therefore you will never get an aquamarine that isn't natural.

End of education session.
Please, be careful where you get your information folks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:48 pm 
Site Admin

Surprisingly, the gems I have seen from "Jewelry Television" have for the most parts been good values.

But, their references to emails from thrilled customers who went out to get inflated retail appraisals is very misleading.

Yesterday, they were featuring tanzanite, 2 cts and under, for $500/ carat.
They made several references to the retail market, indicating dealers are currently paying $1000-$1200 per carat for similar stones and retailing them for $3000 per carat.

Dealers I know (including myself), are retailing similar gems for $600-800 per carat. So yes, their featued tanzanite is a good value, but not robbery without a gun as they try to make it appear. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:09 pm 
Platinum Member

You know, my biggest gripe with JTV isn't their prices. I really don't care what someone sells something for or what someone pays for it. That's an agreeable arrangement between seller and buyer.

My problem is with everything that centers around the sale. In house or unshown appraisals from unknown sources, hearsay, obvious incorrect or misleading information and a viewing audience of more than 50 million people daily that tune in and expect that all of the information given to them is correct.

Most of that 50 million have no idea if what they are saying is true, has been twisted, taken out of context or has been partially represented to favor the seller. People make buying decisions based on these sales games.

Some of the best comments I have seen are the ones coming from customers who love JTV's return policies. Because they use them so often.

So, JTV does have at least one thing going for them. Also they are good for nasty, repetitive gem parcels that are cheap and make for good study specimens. :)

Post subject: Exchange
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:26 am 
DELETED