January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Scholarship for GIA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:35 am 
Valued Contributor

Hey everyone! Been a while since I posted!
I have decided that I want to pursue the GIA Gemology full course, either now or in the future, and I would love to start now, but as of now I am a stay at home mom with a 1 and 3 year old in Alberta, Canada, which leaves us in a bit of a financial pickle. I see there are lots of scholarships for the US and some international, but none that are Canada specific. My question is can someone from Canada do the distance learning and get a scholarship? And what are the chances of getting a scholarship? Is it kind of like winning the lottery? Lol. Thanks so much guys!!!

Post subject: Re: Scholarship for GIA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:36 am 
Gold Member

I was just at an event at G.I.A. Carlsbad last Tuesday. I brought along a Kenyan Masai who is interested in attending G.I.A. but would absolutely require financial assistance. The staff was very strongly encouraging him to apply for a scholarship. We were told that there is currently approximately 2 million dollars of aid money available. The application period opens February 1st. After my conversations with the people at G.I.A. I believe that there is a very good chance for anyone who is motivated to get their G.G., and is in need of financial aid, to get some level of help. I encourage you to apply. Get two letters of recommendation, and make a good case.

Good luck,

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:22 am 
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the reply Steve. That is really good news to hear that there are many scholarships to be had! I read that international scholarships will not be able to be used for tuition, so I’m not sure how that works exactly, but any help would help!! I’ll apply anyways and see what happens. Hopefully I can start the course soon! Thanks again :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:40 pm 
Gold Member

The way I understand it is the distance education scholarships are not available for the Lab Classes. I think tuition scholarships are available for the distance learning part.

Good Luck!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:42 am 
Valued Contributor

dstojan wrote:
Thanks for the reply Steve. That is really good news to hear that there are many scholarships to be had! I read that international scholarships will not be able to be used for tuition, so I’m not sure how that works exactly, but any help would help!! I’ll apply anyways and see what happens. Hopefully I can start the course soon! Thanks again :)

There are definitely distance education scholarships that can be used for international students. The best thing to do is to contact the financial aid department directly, they would be able to answer any question you might have. As mentioned in previous posts, there is approximately 2 million dollars in scholarship funds available, a large part of which is for distance education students.

* My posts are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer